6.8 Western?

IIRC part of the reason the WSM cartridges faded out was Winchester having to pay a royalty on each round sold to Weatherby.

Vince

IIRC part of the reason the WSM cartridges faded out was Winchester having to pay a royalty on each round sold to Weatherby.

Vince
Not Weatherby.

"It was developed by Rick Jamison in 1997-1998 as proven in a 2005 lawsuit Jamison vs. Olin Corporation-Winchester division.[2] Jamison was given 7 patents on the cartridge design. U.S. Repeating Arms Company used the same concept and the same base case in creating its even shorter Winchester Super Short Magnum cartridges, three of which were introduced in 2003 and 2004."

Have 2 6.8 now. Excellent round. Been hammering pigs with them on my place in TX. Mild recoil, very accurate, and hard hitting. Earth shattering … no but an excellent design from factory. Of the new rounds I like the 6.5 cm and 6.8W the best. Both are very pleasant to shoot for the down range ballistics they provide and work perfectly in light rifles particularly if run a can.

Oh - I have a fast twist 270 wsm as well but have to load for that Not even loaded for the 6:8W yet given how accurate the factory ammo has been with velocity spot on and the bullet selection in factory loads though limited since new is excellent with 165 ablr and 175tgk being 2 I tried

Lou

Browning X-Bolt arrived yesterday (demo rifle) and priced right after Christmas. I have 4 x boxes of Winchester 165 grain ABLRs and after a couple of shots to get it on paper, I flung out a nice 3/4" group right off the hop. Recoil is light, its naturally accurate and I have to admit, whats not to like about exterior ballistics with the ABLR? Gonna play with this one for a while.

Browning X-Bolt arrived yesterday (demo rifle) and priced right after Christmas. I have 4 x boxes of Winchester 165 grain ABLRs and after a couple of shots to get it on paper, I flung out a nice 3/4" group right off the hop. Recoil is light, its naturally accurate and I have to admit, whats not to like about exterior ballistics with the ABLR? Gonna play with this one for a while.
Sounds good so far, Browning makes a really nice gun. from a Facebook group I'm on it seems that the most accurate factory loads are either the Win 165 gr ABLR or Sierra 175 gr from Browning. Both of those are very popular loads.

I've got some of those 165 gr ABLR factory loads coming for mine too. Mine has been doing about 3/4" with my better handloads so far with limited development and the 162 gr Copper Impact is around 1 MOA so far. I have also noticed how light the recoil is too especially when you look at the performance you get from the round.

Last edited:
I have a good feeling on the ABLR bullets since this past season . I was a little undecided on what to expect on a close range , high speed impact shot . I high shoulder shot a whitetail in Kansas at about 30 - 40 yards . the buck had a nice body size . it was the heaviest , at the butcher shop , for my group of six total hunters . I'd have to do some figuring , but I "THINK" impact velocity on that 7mm 175 grain ABLR would have been close to 3100 FPS . the bullet passed through , crumbled the buck , and there was a wad of meat and blood laying on the ground the bullet pushed through with it . from what I could tell , during field dressing, excessive meat damage didn't seem to have been an issue . it could have look different with the hide off though . I have no idea what this bullet looked like it wasn't recovered . in this instance the ABLR did a great job , I couldn't have expected more . I'm much more confident in using this bullet up close now . I just wanted to share my experience , and maybe ease your mind a little on using these bullets .

I was sad to see the WSM cartridges fade out so quickly. They seemed well designed.

Guy
I have my old 270 WSM sitting at a smiths right now, with a 1-7.5" twist Krieger. Hoping he may get to it this winter. I am sticking with the 270 WSM, but I do so them 70 SuperGrades with French Walnut in 6.8 Western at decent prices and I could easily let a real pretty one stay at my house.

Unless you're ready to give up that 7 Rem of yours? :cool:

I have a good feeling on the ABLR bullets since this past season . I was a little undecided on what to expect on a close range , high speed impact shot . I high shoulder shot a whitetail in Kansas at about 30 - 40 yards . the buck had a nice body size . it was the heaviest , at the butcher shop , for my group of six total hunters . I'd have to do some figuring , but I "THINK" impact velocity on that 7mm 175 grain ABLR would have been close to 3100 FPS . the bullet passed through , crumbled the buck , and there was a wad of meat and blood laying on the ground the bullet pushed through with it . from what I could tell , during field dressing, excessive meat damage didn't seem to have been an issue . it could have look different with the hide off though . I have no idea what this bullet looked like it wasn't recovered . in this instance the ABLR did a great job , I couldn't have expected more . I'm much more confident in using this bullet up close now . I just wanted to share my experience , and maybe ease your mind a little on using these bullets .

Great report Jim. I haven't taken anything close, but 3 elk from 490 to 605 this year were all planted in place with that bullet. I was literally amazed at how it stuffed them straight down, even at the longer ranges. I think I posted my couple recoveries as well.

I have my old 270 WSM sitting at a smiths right now, with a 1-7.5" twist Krieger. Hoping he may get to it this winter. I am sticking with the 270 WSM, but I do so them 70 SuperGrades with French Walnut in 6.8 Western at decent prices and I could easily let a real pretty one stay at my house.
Sweet, we'll put you down for that nice 270 WSM and the super grade 6.8 Western 👍

Unless you're ready to give up that 7 Rem of yours? :cool:

Ha! No, I haven't even hunted with that purty Model 70 yet.

Guy

It's nice for sure. Not sure I've worked up The Best load for it yet, but it's sending those 140 gr TTSX's downrange at high velocity and reasonable groups.

Looking forward to hunting with it in the fall. Washington, maybe Oregon. Mama and I will be about out of elk by then. :)

Guy

Back