60gr partition 1-14 twist

SakoSteve270wsm

Handloader
Apr 17, 2007
I am thinking about getting a Tikka 22-250 for coyotes and maybe Cali blacktails.Has anyone used the 60gr partitions with a 1-14 twist?Any trouble with stability?Would be nice to use one load for both.

Thanks Steve

I had a Win 70 with the 1:14 twist and tried all the heavier

bullets....WW 64gr PP and Nosler and Sierra 60gr.

Could not get them to stablize.......need a 1:9 or 1:8 twist barrel............

the 52 and 50's gr worked good in the 1:14 barrel

I, for one, have had terrible results with the 60 grain Partitions. I shoot Partitions in about everything I own. I wanted some 60 gainers for my varmint rifles as we sometimes run into wild hogs while shooting varmints.

I tried the 60 Partitions in two different 22-250 rifles with 1 in 14 twists. They both shot groups somewhere around 6 inches at 100 yards.

I then tried them in a .223 Remington with a 1 in 12 twist. It was a little better, maybe four or five inch groups.

I said forget it and gave them away. Have not heard how they shot for the guy I gave them to.

For what it is worth, the two 22-250 rifles in question do not shoot 55 grain Ballistic Tips very well, either. They both shoot tiny little groups with 50 grain Ballistic Tips as does the .223 Remington.

I have typically understood that the 1-14 twist in a 22-250 stabilizes up to 55 grain bullets. I just got a Rem LVSF 22-250. It loves 55 gn BT's and at 100 yds is grouping right at 1/2". I have not tried any Partitions in it.

Long

I shot the 60 gr Partition in my Kimber 22-250 as well. Even though the twist is 12, I have had some pretty good luck with accuracy.....nothing like the 55 gr BT. On the 60 gr Partitions, I was using a grain under max of Varget and getting 1 inch groups at a 100 yrds. On the other hand the 55 gr BT's, I am using a grain under max of Varget and getting .300 five shot groups.

Even though the accuracy with the 60 gr Partitions are not as good as the 55 gr BT's, they work great on hogs.....IMHO!

I have had two Rem 22-250's that I tried 60 gr. Partitions in. One shot MOA and the other wouldn't shoot them at all. I am now shooting a Savage 22-250 with a 1:12 twist and it shoots the 60 gr. Partitions right at MOA.

Bob

You likely need at least a 1-12 to stabilize those 60 gr. PT's.

I shoot 60 gr. PT's through my 1-12 Krieger and they will hover around half inch for the three shot groups I have tested. Krieger recommended using a 1-12 twist for the 55 grain BT's and V-Max bullets also. BT's will rountinely go into 3's and 4's. I wonder why so many rifles companies offer 1-14 in the 22-250?

Lonny":31gq2w9d said:
You likely need at least a 1-12 to stabilize those 60 gr. PT's.

I wonder why so many rifles companies offer 1-14 in the 22-250?

Very good question!

My 700 VLS 22-250 really likes the 50 gr BT's.

JD338

Thanks for the info guys.This Tikka will be a backup for my Sako as well as my coyote rifle.After I posted this it dawned on me that the 22-250 isnt a legal caliber in some states.So because of that and with the question of stability with the 60gr Partition I think I will step up to the 243 and 85gr partitions.Thanks again guys. 8)

SakoSteve270wsm":sfbd37p9 said:
Thanks for the info guys.This Tikka will be a backup for my Sako as well as my coyote rifle.After I posted this it dawned on me that the 22-250 isnt a legal caliber in some states.So because of that and with the question of stability with the 60gr Partition I think I will step up to the 243 and 85gr partitions.Thanks again guys. 8)

Good idea. :idea: :wink:

JD338

Bought a Tikka the day before Christmas, now just have to wait 10 days to pick it up :roll: Got a blued one in 243 win.Am going to try out Dura Coat and couldn't see spending an extra $100 for the stainless one.Have a Luepold 3.5-10 in the safe waiting to be mounted.

I ordered some nosler brass for it and some 90gr BTs.Was going to go with the partitions but this rifle will only be used on coyotes and cali blacktails,maybe some pronghorns.So I will stick with the BTs.I have had very good luck with them so far :)

I also have a remington VSF in 22-250 that I am going to load 50gr BTs in.Thinking about ordering some IMR 4064,H414,and H380 to see if I can find one powder that I can use for both rifles.Anyone know of another powder that will work well for both?

With that twist the .........Sierra 52gr BTHP Match is perfect!

H380 @ 38.0 should be a winner!

+1 on Alaska's load suggestion for target shooting. I would try that or the W760.
Bullet stabalization is temperature sensative. 1:14 will stabalize a 55gr FMJ in warm weather, but will fail to stabalize the same bullet in artic conditions. Nosler recommends a 1:10+ twist for the 60gr partitions, and I would expect a 1:12 to be fine in warm weather. I can see why you would be interested in the 60gr Parts for those little Cali deer, but you may wish to consider something shorter like a 52gr barnes. Leadfree, match the rifling, and should really zap those little blacktails.

Back