6mm 90 grain E-Tip?

Idaho_Elk_Huntr

Beginner
Feb 5, 2009
Anyone tried these out?? I have a custom 6mm Rem barrel coming for my Encore and am trying to line up what I am going to shoot. Looks like for my use the only real choice I have is the Partition or the E-Tip. Anyways if you have used them let me know how they performed.

Haven't used the e-tip yet.

Three different Nosler bullets have worked real well from our 6mm Rem:

95 grain Ballistic Tip - amazing accuracy, and very lethal on mule deer, with surprising penetration. I didn't expect it to break the leg bone on the way out of the chest cavity at 275 yards, after ruining the heart & lungs, but it did. The most accurate bullet I've ever used in my 6mm Rem, going back a long time.

100 gr Partition - it works as well as all the other partitions, and I've been surprised at the accuracy. Didn't expect 2.5" groups at 300 yards.

100 gr Solid Base - these show up time to time and are a great, inexpensive bullet. It's the bullet that existed before the Ballistic Tip, and now and again Nosler seems to make a run of them. I snatched up quite a few several years ago. Don't know if they'll be produced again, but a good all-around performer. Good accuracy. Didn't measure groups, but was smacking the 300 yard gong shot after shot with the ol' 6mm just a couple of weeks ago.

There are a number of powders that work well from the 6mm, but I've had best results with these 95 - 100 gr deer bullets from Reloader 22.

Whatever bullet you choose for your 6mm, I'd be very interested in range and field reports, particularly on those E-Tips.

FWIW, Guy

I am getting this to deer hunt with and may be offered a chance at an elk so I prefer not to use Ballistic Tips. I wish they made a AccuBond. But I cant find it if they do. The barrel is 26 inches and 1 in 8 twist si they need to be 90+ grains

If elk is a possibility, I'd grab the 100 gr Partition in a heartbeat!

The E-Tip will likely work well too. If it performs at all like the Barnes TSX bullets I've used, it will penetrate very well. That 1:8 twist should stabilize even the very heaviest of 6mm bullets nicely!

Actually, if elk is on the menu, I'd grab a bigger gun... But that's me.

Best of luck! Guy

Back