6mm BR first 1,000 yard F-Class Shoot

.300winmag

Handloader
Oct 17, 2011
Well, this past saturday I got the opportunity to take my 6mm BR to it's first 1,000 yard F-Class shoot. There were 11 competitors total and conditions were less than ideal. I've shot NRA HP here hundreds of times and you can always count on fluctuating winds at high velocity.

I was fortunate enough to get on the first rely (@ 8:30 AM) and shoot before the winds picked up. I went for record within two sighters and shot a 191-4X. I was very pleased with this as I have never shot this rifle at 1,000 yards before with this rifle and it showed my ballistics program was spot on. (garbage in = garbage out) I am extremely anal about the data I use for ballistics calculations.

After a while in the pits, it was again my turn to shoot. This was mid-afternoon/morning, thus the wind had come up, I was dialing 6-8 MOA of wind during this string. The wind was very shifty as well, I ended with a 189-1X.

Finally after another stint in the pits, I fired my final string, where the wind was atrocious! It was the worst wind I've seen. Normally I shoot my strings as fast as possible. But, in this case, I used the full half hour and only shot when conditions matched the sighters I took. I was the last one to finish, but, it paid off. I finished off with a 189-3X. Instead of fighting the wind and chasing the spotter, I waited it out and shot as well as I could.

I ended up winning the match with a 569-8X (out of 600-60X), the 2nd place fellow (the match director and life long friend of mine) lost by 1X. I was superbly satisfied by the results and am very satisfied that during the duration of 60 shots for record, I only had 2 "8's" on my score card.

I'm looking forward to the next math next month!

LONG LIVE THE 6MM BR!!!!

You are to be congratulated; you did well. That does sound like a great deal of fun.

That is some great shooting! Congratulations on your victory!!!
Sure wouldn't mind see a few photos of the competition if possible :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Not a bad score with a little 6BR at 1000, especially if there was much of a wind. What bullet were you using?

Wonderful! Congratulations on your great shooting and for winning the event.

Wow! Great shooting buddy! That does sound like a ton of fun. Be cool to see some of your F-Class set ups and how the courses of fire are conducted. Very nice!

I love the rifle sports. Challenging and rewarding all the time.

Unfortunately, I do not have any pics from the match.

Scotty,

In F-class you shoot three strings of 20 are fired, you are allocated 30 minutes to firee the 20 shots plus as many sighters as you like. However, as soon as you say "Going for record" you are not allowed any more sighters and must continue with the shoot. Most guys that know tht they're doing are finiahwd within 15 minutes. I've done a lot of competition shooting (more than most probably) This was my first formal F-classs match, however. It was a kick in the pants! I'm looking forward to the next one. Folks can make fun of my purpled stoked little 6mm BR . But scores are scores;I received plenty of flack for the purple stock and little cartridge I was surprised on how that mitigated when the scores were out!

The rifle shoots better than I do. Ialso talked my gunsmith into coming to the next match. He's got a 6 Dasher that shoots like a bat out of hell. He also has several plaques in his shop from the Penn. BR club saying he built all the riflers that broke all the records they've recorded I'm three years.

.300winmag":woisz5ik said:
Unfortunately, I do not have any pics from the match.

Scotty,

In F-class you shoot three strings of 20 are fired, you are allocated 30 minutes to firee the 20 shots plus as many sighters as you like. However, as soon as you say "Going for record" you are not allowed any more sighters and must continue with the shoot. Most guys that know tht they're doing are finiahwd within 15 minutes. I've done a lot of competition shooting (more than most probably) This was my first formal F-classs match, however. It was a kick in the pants! I'm looking forward to the next one. Folks can make fun of my purpled stoked little 6mm BR . But scores are scores;I received plenty of flack for the purple stock and little cartridge I was surprised on how that mitigated when the scores were out!

The rifle shoots better than I do. Ialso talked my gunsmith into coming to the next match. He's got a 6 Dasher that shoots like a bat out of hell. He also has several plaques in his shop from the Penn. BR club saying he built all the riflers that broke all the records they've recorded I'm three years.

Here is the latest I just got from the gunsmith this week. sorry for the crappy pic.

Elisio R-1 chassis
Pierce Engineering tube action
Jewell BR trigger (2 oz)
Bartlein medium palma barrel, twist 1 in 7.5
NF 12-42 BR scope
Chambered in 6 BRX (blown out 30 degree 6BR case)

That setup looks very exciting, Joel. Definitely makes a person want to excel at riflery.

Thought I was going to fireform brass today, but my brother decided today was going to be the day to help me install my new front door with sidelights... :x . Guess it will have to wait until Sunday.

The arrival of help for projects around the house will almost always supercede range time. Your load workup should be most interesting, Joel.

Back