6mm E-Tip 90 gr "real" min twist

USN Ret

Beginner
Sep 2, 2024
Does anyone have experience with these bullets in a 1:10 twist barrel?

Nosler's 6mm 90 gr E-Tip product description specifies 1:9 min twist, but their load data shows a 24" Lilja test barrel of 1:10 twist - hence my question.

I searched but couldn't find a definitive answer - greatly appreciate any info.

I don’t know for sure but I’d guess 9 is better than 10, since it’s a fairly long bullet. You might be okay depending on your elevation but generally I’d prefer more twist than less for such a bullet.

I see it a lot I’m 223 data. They’ll test a lot of bullets in a 12 twist that I know for sure won’t stabilize but they’re more interested in pressure data than accuracy. Seems like it’s about the same case for what you mentioned.

PM sent.

I tried Etips in my son's 243 years ago and never could get them to shoot accurately, it very well could have been the twist. The rifle sure shot Ballistic tips well.

Am pretty sure that forum member "6mm Remington" has used that bullet quite a bit from his 6mm Rem, which should be a 1:9 twist. He reported excellent results on game with it some time ago. Might reach out to him with a PM?

Guy

I don’t know for sure but I’d guess 9 is better than 10, since it’s a fairly long bullet. You might be okay depending on your elevation but generally I’d prefer more twist than less for such a bullet.

I see it a lot I’m 223 data. They’ll test a lot of bullets in a 12 twist that I know for sure won’t stabilize but they’re more interested in pressure data than accuracy. Seems like it’s about the same case for what you mentioned.

The rifle in question is my wife's Weatherby Vanguard II with its factory 1:10 barrel. If I had it to do over again, since I'm stuck with non-lead bullets for hunting here in CA, I'd look for something with a faster twist. It shoots other copper bullets (80 & 85 gr) well enough for her to use at the moderate ranges she's comfortable with - but as usual, I'm looking for better accuracy. I bought the 90gr E-Tips without seeing the 1:9 requirement - poor due diligence!

I agree 100% that the folks who do load testing are likely more concerned about pressure (safety & liability) than accuracy, but I appreciate Nosler indicating an overall "Most Accurate" powder, and a most accurate load/velocity for all the runner-ups - info I've found very helpful.

Long ago I purchases some 86 gr. e-tips from SPS and they were stable in my 6mm AR(6mm Grendel) that has a 1/10 twist Shilen barrel.

Try entering the bullet specs and your info in Bergers twist rate calculator. You might want to measure the twist of your barrel as well, sometimes they are not what the manufacturer claims.

The rifle in question is my wife's Weatherby Vanguard II with its factory 1:10 barrel. If I had it to do over again, since I'm stuck with non-lead bullets for hunting here in CA, I'd look for something with a faster twist. It shoots other copper bullets (80 & 85 gr) well enough for her to use at the moderate ranges she's comfortable with - but as usual, I'm looking for better accuracy. I bought the 90gr E-Tips without seeing the 1:9 requirement - poor due diligence!

I agree 100% that the folks who do load testing are likely more concerned about pressure (safety & liability) than accuracy, but I appreciate Nosler indicating an overall "Most Accurate" powder, and a most accurate load/velocity for all the runner-ups - info I've found very helpful.
If you haven’t tried Barnes 80gr TTSX , I would recommend them. I’ve found the TTSX bullets shoot very well in many calibers.

If you haven’t tried Barnes 80gr TTSX , I would recommend them. I’ve found the TTSX bullets shoot very well in many calibers.
As a newbie, I was trying to tactfully avoid using the "B" word on Nosler's forum - but yes, those are the 80 & 85 grainers I've depended on so far. I'll give the 90 gr E-Tips a try, thanks to Johnly's input. Thanks again to all.

As Guy noted my son does use it in his 6mm Remington and has killed 2 antelope one shot each, one mule deer buck one shot, and a large cow elk at 350 yards one shot. It has expanded nicely as noted by the damage and has penetrated very well. It shoots accurately as well.

Pretty sure his Ruger is a 1-9 twist. His Remington Model 600 is also a 1-9 twist. As is my Ruger 1B in 6mm, a 1-9 twist.

Last edited:

Try entering the bullet specs and your info in Bergers twist rate calculator. You might want to measure the twist of your barrel as well, sometimes they are not what the manufacturer claims.
Calculator shows it's unstable at 3250 fps through a 1:10 barrel - recommends 1:8 twist. Enough overthinking - I'm not going to waste more time & components to prove Berger right!
Thanks for all the good inputs - much appreciated.

Back