6mm remington

chrispbrown27

Beginner
Sep 12, 2011
I was reading through some of the old posts and saw someone talking about loading the 90 gr. e-tip for his 6mm rifle, of course now I can't find the post. I have been thinking about loading the e-tip for my 6mm and would like to find out what powder and so on he used. Anyone know who posted this?
Chris

Chris,

Welcome to the forum. David (aka 6mm Remington) will be along sometime today to give you information on this delightful little cartridge. Just don't let him know that I spoke of it in glowing terms; he'll go mushy on us. He is pretty busy at the moment, getting ready to tag a Montana goat. Again, welcome to the forum. Hope to see you frequently.

Darn it all, I thought my ears were burning! :lol: Welcome Chris! I load the 90 gr. E-tip for my sons 6mm Remington which is a Ruger MKII with the 22" factory barrel. It has a Boyds nutmeg laminate stock that we had both pillar and glass bedded, and his trigger has been adjusted to 3 pounds.

Just for fun I thought I would try some E-tips in it. He shoots 3160 fps chronographed with no pressure signs and I've always been a big fan of IMR4350 in two other 6mm's I have so I know how well it works. Well in this case Hodgdon H100V, Federal 210 primers, and Wichester cases was the trick. He just shot it a couple days ago and he had 3 shots at 100 yards that were almost touching. It was between 1/2-3/4". It has taken a couple of deer and if I remember correctly now, 3 antelope. He also shot his first elk with that bullet last year at 350 yards from the prone with a Harris bi-pod. He hit her tight behind her right shoulder and she went about 25 yards and tipped over dead. The bullet exited her left shoulder. By the appearance of the wound and her lungs, it expanded nicely. I'll include a picture of his cow and on her shoulder you can see the exit hole. I'll also throw in a couple with bullets expanded in water jugs at 100 and 300 yards. I'm tempted to try them in my 6mm, and I'm really impressed with them except the Partitions shoot so well in mine, why mess with it! :eek:

I can give you load specifics if you PM me. I worked up to it slowly so you would have to load down and come up and check as you go, but it sure worked for us. My son is flat out deadly with that thing!! Best of luck Chris and if I can help in any way let me know.

David
013-1.jpg

90 gr. E-tip 165 gr. AccuBond 100 gr. Partition all 100 yards
E-tipAccubondPartition.jpg

90 gr. E-tip 300 yards in gallon water jugs.
013-2.jpg

I'm sorry guys as you all must be sick of the E-tip grin by now. I promise not to throw up that darn elk picture any more. :oops:

Show it all you want. It's a great photo, showing one heck of a happy hunter at a great point in his hunt.

With this photo & story, you've almost convinced me to abandon my long-held loyalty to the 95 grain Ballistic Tip and the 100 grain Partition for the cool little 6mm Rem cartridge!

Guy

How do they perform at under 100 yrds? I want something that will perform at close and far ranges. Right now I am leaning toward either partitions or accubonds simply because, to me, the more weight I can put behind the bullet the better. This is my first year using a rifle for deer (I am from Illinois where it is shotgun only) and I just can't convince myself that a bullet smaller than the biggest I can buy for the rifle will work.
Chris

Guy Miner":1mxlwvxp said:
With this photo & story, you've almost convinced me to abandon my long-held loyalty to the 95 grain Ballistic Tip and the 100 grain Partition for the cool little 6mm Rem cartridge! Guy

I might see abandoning the 95 gr. Ballistic Tip, but don't go crazy here! :p That Partition is pretty darn incredible too Guy, but I don't have to tell you that. I shot a spike bull with my 6mm and the 100 gr. Partition at about 30 yards in heavy timber. I shot him dead center in his right shoulder and it angled forwards as he was turned just slightly and exited out in front of his left shoulder. He staggered a few steps and I put one more at the base of his ear, but he was done and just didn't know it yet. The Partition works so well I can't see changing for me especially the way it shoots, but then again if I get the same kind of accuracy, the performance of the E-tip in both holding together and the high BC of it sure are alluring. Now see what you did, I hope you are happy! :grin:
David

chrispbrown27":152vqpdu said:
How do they perform at under 100 yrds? I want something that will perform at close and far ranges. Right now I am leaning toward either partitions or accubonds simply because, to me, the more weight I can put behind the bullet the better. This is my first year using a rifle for deer (I am from Illinois where it is shotgun only) and I just can't convince myself that a bullet smaller than the biggest I can buy for the rifle will work.
Chris

Chris you simply cannot go wrong with say a 95 or 100 gr. Partition in the 6mm, and I feel the 90 gr. AccuBond would be terrific, if you can find them. I haven't been able to yet! :evil: I feel 100% comfortable with the Partition at close and at far, and the E-tip! Although 10 grs less to start with, it has a higher BC than the Partition so it should hold it's velocity at far distances a bit better and shoot just a bit flatter. It's also proven itself to me that it holds together and will penetrate very well indeed. I would try the E-tips and the Partitions both. The one that shoots the best in your rifle is the one that I would use and I would not think twice about using either one. Lots of guys have had good luck with the Ballistic Tips, but sorry as much as I like Noslers, I don't care for them on game (personally). They are a great bullet and can shoot very well, but I would shy away from them in the 6mm for game. Now for practice as they are cheaper and for varmints, I think they would be perfect.

I think I have decided 100 gr. and 90 gr. partitions are going to be the first I try. I have read plenty of posts about partitions going through bone easily and penetration being excellent at all ranges, so I think it's probably my best bet. I like the expansion of the e-tips, but price and lower grain weight keep making me look elsewhere. Thanks for the info from everyone. I currently have H4831sc and IMR4320. I am not really happy with the 4831sc, because it is such a large cylindrical powder many of the hotter loads are compressed and I don't want to mess with that. I have read over and over that IMR4350 is the way to go in the 6mm, so I will be picking some up. Any other suggestions?

Back