7.62x39 190 accubond lr

teeter

Beginner
Nov 6, 2016
I am trying to figure out a good 0-200 yard brush gun load for 7.62x39. I was thinking of using the 190 AccuBond long range, because of the low expansion velocity. Have any of you messed with a load like this. I have a 16" ar with 1-8 twist. I would like to keep as heavy as possible and still get good expansion at 7.62x39 velocities. I have also had shots as close as 10 yards so I dont want the bullet to explode. For white tail, black bear and hogs. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

150 gr bullets is the max weight that you can make work for your stated application. You will have to use a flat base bullet also. If a boat tail bullet or a heaver bullet is tried you will have your bullet shank down in the case and take up your powder room. You can get a 150 gr bullet moving 2100 fps and according to the ballistic charts with a 100 yards zero you will be down 8 inches and have only 950 foot pounds of energy at 200 yards. For deer and hogs I would limit a max shot to 150 yards and on a black bear I would only use it for 50 yards or less or on a treed bear where a perfect head shot could be made. I have killed some deer with a Yugo SKS in 7.62x39 out to 80 yards using Hornady 123 gr #3140 SP .310 diameter bullets with 29 grs H322 ( a case full and I use a long drop tube) in a Lapua case and a Rem. 91/2 primer COAL 2.190 and I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die to keep the bullet seated in the case because there is not much bullet shank seated in the case. This bullet is a good SP bullet made for the 7.62x39 for deer size game. This load averages 2300 fps from my rifle and is the most accurate load I have found. As far as "brush busting", with 50 years of hunting experience there is no such thing. If you hit anything between you and what you are shooting at it will be luck if you hit what you were shooting at. Bear tend to get really PO'd when you shoot them and don't kill them out right with a brain shot. If you are hunting with dogs and the bear gets out of the tree alive and messes up some dogs their owners tend to really get PO'd and may be more of a danger to you than the PO'd bear. Just some of my observations from life in the woods.

Back