7 mag with 150 gr Partition = Buck down

I have killed some antelope and a lead cow elk with the 7mm rem mag and 150 Partition.
In fact the cow was the closest head of game I have ever killed. She did not see me (I was still hunting) and she ran by me and then she saw me! Would you believe 4 feet away? LOL

The PT blew right through her at 3150 fps.

FOTIS my Partition was running much slower than yours, about 2900 fps. Bullet still went all the way through even with energy lost out to 225 yards. My winter / spring goal is to find a powder to push that 150 gr pill about 3100 fps consistently and accurately. Thanks to everyone for the compliments. Nice to have a group of folks that appreciate the harvest of a big old mature buck no matter what his rack looks like. Here is a pic of what he looked like from the other side.
IMG_2318.jpg

Yup, I'd make sure that rack was on display somewhere that I could see it often. Very cool.

Guy

For those that were wondering, we skinned the buck out and found nothing irregular on his body to suggest why he only grew one horn.

The pic above, from the bucks left side shows better what a big, cool, bruiser he must have been. Congrats! Dad made his 7Mag into a mythical deer killer in the eyes of one young boy.... Nothing ever got away. Well done! CL

ReloadKy":1343qftf said:
FOTIS my Partition was running much slower than yours, about 2900 fps. Bullet still went all the way through even with energy lost out to 225 yards. My winter / spring goal is to find a powder to push that 150 gr pill about 3100 fps consistently and accurately. Thanks to everyone for the compliments. Nice to have a group of folks that appreciate the harvest of a big old mature buck no matter what his rack looks like. Here is a pic of what he looked like from the other side.

RL22, 23, IMR 4831, etc. Easy project!

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/ ... on-magnum/

Fotis I just recently picked up a pound of R23 and tried a medium charge with a 140 gr SGK this weekend. Got speeds of 3100. However, I am struggling to find data for R23 and 150 gr bullets. Alliant's website does not have a lot of info for R23 and lists no data for R23 with a 150 gr bullet. Any advice on where to find some info instead of just plowing into the dark with it?

Use RL22 data and work up. You will reach max with less 23 than 22. In other words 23 is a bit faster than 22

A friend of mine is doing the Euro mount for me. When he was skinning the skull three bones above the eye socket just fell out and hit the floor. The bones were broken on the same side as the one antler. So I am assuming that long ago injury is what caused the lack of an antler on that side.

Back