7 mag

ofdscooby

Beginner
Nov 2, 2010
Although I'm sure the topic has been talked about a million times over for some reason my search attempts are coming up empty when I look for anything to do with 7mm's. I have a Savage en-route back to my from a smith in Nebraska this is my first semi-custom project. Savage 116 pre accu-trigger Shilen SS 26 in barrel, Stockade stock, new lug, bolt lift kit, engraved bolt, and bead blasted it all. I can't wait to see it. Anyways I have a bunch of 150 BT'sready to load with 4350, 4831 , RL-19&22 on hand. Can anyone hook me up with some starting points for loads thanks.

Are you speaking of a 7mm RM? The 26 inch barrel will be cool in that cartridge. In IMR 4350, look at a starting load of 59 grains and a maximum of 63 grains. With IMR 4831, consider a starting load of 61 grains and a maximum charge of 65 grains. These loads are taken from the Nosler Reloading Guide No. 6; they used Nosler cases and Fed 215 primers.

Maximum charges with QuickLOAD are 69 grains of RL22 and 66 grains of RL19.

DrMikes right on the 4350, mine likes 61 grains., with a slightly heavier bullet. :grin:

I really like the 160 or 175 grain bullets for the 7mm RM. The case is large enough to handle them readily, and the downrange impact is excellent on large game. One of my favourite bullets is the 175 grain PT, which is a great thumper for moose and elk.

Can't really help much with the 150's as I have only shot 140's and 160's out of mine, but RL22 is a big winner in the 7RM. If I was to try and work up another load, I am thinking I would try IMR4350 in it, Bill swears by it, as do a bunch of others. Scotty

The only problem that I had with the 7mm Rem mag was I could not carry enough flashlight batteries to deer hunt with it. :lol: :lol: I do most of my hunting in the evenings. Most of my shots were late just before dark. I tried all sorts of different loads and bullets. The Rem 700 that I had would shoot most anything you put in it in the same hole at 100 yards. I would shoot a deer with it right through the shoulders or right behind the shoulder and 90% of the time they would run out of the field and go 100 yards or so into the thick NC jungle cut over that surrounded the field. It is hard tracking in that stuff especially in the dark. Mine loved AA 3100 powder or H-4831.

I traded off that 7 mag and got a 25-06. I don't have to track deer anymore. Bang Flop. :mrgreen:

!shot- That amazes me. Dads 7mm Mag was just like lightning on deer loaded with 130 Gr. Speers. Never saw one go more than ten yards, most felll right on top of there feet. As far as that goes the 25-06 is good deer medicine no doubt. I had one get away from a 25-06 for a few days (before we found him) but that was my fault. I dont know, but my theroy is that most factory loads for the 7Mag are too heavy/ solidly constructed for deer. As you've discovered a 100 or 115 out of your .25 is just the ticket. CL

DrMike":19o1rqu0 said:
Are you speaking of a 7mm RM? The 26 inch barrel will be cool in that cartridge. In IMR 4350, look at a starting load of 59 grains and a maximum of 63 grains. With IMR 4831, consider a starting load of 61 grains and a maximum charge of 65 grains. These loads are taken from the Nosler Reloading Guide No. 6; they used Nosler cases and Fed 215 primers.

Maximum charges with QuickLOAD are 69 grains of RL22 and 66 grains of RL19.

Thanks yeah its a 7mm Rem Mag. and its a 26 inch Shilen with a 1:9 I see alot of guys seem to prefer the 140's or the 160's it that because of the AccuBond or the weight I like the Accubonds but the cost keeps me from shooting them too much so I thought I would just stick with the BT's I also live in Kalifornia so I will have to entertain the idea of some e-tips if I want to hunt up north for some pigs. I can't wait to get out and shoot but I have a promotional exam coming up so a range reports will have to wait till the end of Feb.

Undoubtedly, the BT will work very well for blacktail deer. Because of the potential for high impact velocity, I believe you are correct to use the 150 grain bullet. It will serve you very well. I surely hope you get opportunity to hunt pigs with your rifle. If you work up a load with the E-Tip, I suspect that you will gravitate to it as your "go to" load. I am favourably impressed with the E-Tip. I've only taken one head of game with the E-Tip (a moose with the 130 grain .277 launched from a 270 WSM http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11566). 6 K has been using the .338 200 grain E-Tip to harvest quite a few large animals just over the mountains from me. He has posted his pictures on this forum (http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14324). For elk, I'd prefer the 150 grain E-Tip from a 7mm RM, though the 140 grain E-Tip should work just fine. If you get the opportunity, post a picture of your rifle. There are a bunch of addicts here that get their fix by looking at the workmanship of others.

In my Browning B78, also with 26 inch barrel, I settled on the 140gr. AB and have taken a number of white tails, pronghorn, mule deer and one pig with it. A number of the deer did walk a little ways, in the 40 yard or less range, before dropping over, even with their heart-lung area shattered. The pig had his heart shot through and his off side shoulder broken into jig saw pieces, and he ran about 85 yards before dropping over. My longest shot was on a mule deer, at just over 400 measured yards. He slipped over the horizon, upon which I had shot him and walked about ten yards. I had worked up the load with the 140 AB, using 70gr. of MagPro and magnum primers. With the zero set to print 3" high at 150 yds., I never had to hold off the animal to hit him. This load chronies at the muzzle, at 3200 fps.
Maybe your idea of using a heavier BT is better. I hope that you will report the results.
Steven

IMR 4350 & 150 used to be my go to in the 7mag and works well on blacktails and hogs if you keep the bullets in the ribcage. Hitting bones ruin a lot of meat. I switched to 160 partitions after shooting a couple of critters at close range :oops: messy

My first load I ever built was the 140gr PT and a heavy dose of H870. That load was magic on deer. I can't remember many walking anywhere and man, that bullet would always exit. I loved it. I am almost wanting to start trying it again. Then again, the 160's in the 7RM is a pretty awesome shooting load too. Scotty

DrMike":2zp66o5t said:
Undoubtedly, the BT will work very well for blacktail deer. Because of the potential for high impact velocity, I believe you are correct to use the 150 grain bullet. It will serve you very well. I surely hope you get opportunity to hunt pigs with your rifle. If you work up a load with the E-Tip, I suspect that you will gravitate to it as your "go to" load. I am favourably impressed with the E-Tip. I've only taken one head of game with the E-Tip (a moose with the 130 grain .277 launched from a 270 WSM http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11566). 6 K has been using the .338 200 grain E-Tip to harvest quite a few large animals just over the mountains from me. He has posted his pictures on this forum (http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14324). For elk, I'd prefer the 150 grain E-Tip from a 7mm RM, though the 140 grain E-Tip should work just fine. If you get the opportunity, post a picture of your rifle. There are a bunch of addicts here that get their fix by looking at the workmanship of others.

Dr.Mike that pic of the Moose makes me feel a little better about the E-tips I feel that the lead ban will go stetewide eventualy and I would like to just set up my rifle for one bullet to do anything. What do you think the effective rage would be on a 150 E-tip I read that you need the Nosler website states effective speed needed is 1700 fps but I havnt worked up any loads to so I'm not sure what kind of speeds to expect.

I'll go out on a limb and estimate that a velocity of 3150 fps should be obtainable with a variety of powders. At that velocity, you will still generate over 1700 ft-lbs of energy at 600+ yards. I am impressed with the E-Tip. On the other hand, I like the concept of monolithic bullets.

Two sets of posts and still do not know what 7mm ??? Mag we are talking about? I have been loading for the 7mm Rem Mag for 47 years and may be able to help a little, if that is the caliber, please advise?

Its a 7mm rem mag I have a shilen barrel on it that shot like crap sent it back to them and they recrowned it and fixed a bedding problem for me. Now its shooting very good I've worked up to 63 grains of RL-22 and accuracy keeps getting better so I'll keep increasing the load.

My present loads for my 7mm Rem Mag with either Federal or W-W cases, are:
150 gr Partition, 63.0 gr, IMR4350, Fed 215 primer.
160 Partition, 60.0 gr IMR 4350, Fed 215 primer.
160 AccuBond, 66.0 gr, IMR 7828 SSC, Fed 215 Mag Match primer, chrono'ed at 3080 fps.

These are the loads that I am presently using in my 7mm Rem Mag. All are maximum loads and should be approached with caution.

Target shot last month with 160 AccuBond, 7mm Rem Mag load.
7mmRemMag24AUG11001.jpg

I'v been using nothing but Retumbo for the last few years in my 7mm rem mag 74 grs for the 150 bts accuracy is pretty good and 70 gr for the 162 amax seems to work the best but still use a little rl22.

Back