7 mm. WSM

Bluejay

Beginner
Apr 6, 2006
I am starting to get interested in this caliber and I am trying to gather all the information I can.

I have noticed that not many manufacturers chamber this caliber, even though they offer the other WSM (.270 and .300).
Why's that ?
Do you know what brand/model of rifle do offer this caliber in their listing ?

Also, the rifles chambered in WSM calibers are normally offered in 24" barrel. Would there be any benefits in using a longer (26") barrel ?

Any info would be very welcome.

Thanks.
:wink:

Don't recall who makes it now. It does not sell that is why not many are chambering it. It does not need a 26" barrel, the 24" burns the powder of the short case sufficiently.

Of the WSMs, this is my favourite. It has proven to be the easiest to load for. I believe the 7mm WSM is near the ideal calibre for the short magnums.

I am pretty sure a M70 FWT in 7WSM would be a favorite of mine if Winchester built it. It sure does about everything the bigger magnum does and there is alot of excellent data for it, loaded full steam. I am a huge fan of the 270WSM and would like to add the 7mm to the rack someday. Scotty

You're right on availability. I found one in Browning, but it has a 23' tube. All other manufacturers just list the 270 and 300 like you stated earlier. :grin: :grin:

I think HOWA is chambering them? Not sure though?

GB, how is your 338 shooting? Wanna throw some pictures of that monster up. We are hearing a little about it, and it sounds like a heckuva great rifle. Scotty

If you want an off-the-shelf rifle with a 24 inch tube, you'll have to look for a used Winchester manufactured before the move to SC. I believe that Kimber and Savage both chambered the 7mm WSM for a brief while. Otherwise, the alternative is either a cusom or semi-custom job. It would be possible to screw another tube on one of the Browning rifles chambered in this cartridge. For all practical purposes, this rifle will be a hand-loaders proposition. I would expect that ammunition will become an occasional situation in the not-too-distant future. Nevertheless, it is a great cartridge that is capable of taking anything on the European continent, and most critters on the North American continent.

beretzs":1umzb953 said:
I think HOWA is chambering them? Not sure though?

GB, how is your 338 shooting? Wanna throw some pictures of that monster up. We are hearing a little about it, and it sounds like a heckuva great rifle. Scotty

Scotty, the 338 is really shooting well. Really well. The barrel is a little slow, but the accuracy is spot on. It really likes barnes bullets. The 210 ttsx's are cutting ragged holes at 100 and under 1/2" at 200 consistently(2"@300). This rifle has become my favorite and is a pleasure to shoot since I put the vias style brake on it. Before it was giving me headaches and pains in my shoulder and my groups would deteriorate the more I shot it(and I'm not usually recoil sensitive). The brake is worth every penny and the vias style brake puts a lot of the blast forward so the shooter does not get it in the face. I'm driving the 210 at 2850, which is not particularly fast, and shooting at 600 yards really well. Just last weekend, I was checking the stadia lines in my scope and put 2 bullets center target 1/2" apart at 500 yards and was just low at 600 yards. I'm getting 5 shot groups of 3" at 500 yards consistently. I'm also shooting a Zeiss 3.5 x 10 x 50 Conquest with the Z600 reticle. According to the website, I need to be at 8.3X power for the stadia lines to be true and they are very true. I'm very impressed with this system. I'm sighted at 200 yards and shooting out to 600 yards every 50 yards with total confidence and knowing that I shot them in. This system is fantasitc. I have changed the trigger to a Timney and the stock to a B @ C Medalist though.
Not sure how to do pics, but I will get some up for ya.....Jerry :grin: :grin:

Jerry, that sounds like one accurate set up! I know having a muzzle brake on my 338, really helps out with accurate shooting. Since I have started working with the 338, I have seen just how accurate they are. Cannot believe how well it shoots such a wide range of bullet weights. Even those 210s at 2850 is still a very strong load really. That bullet is probably equal to a 225 or maybe a 250 in performance anyhow.

I have the Leupold B&C 2.5x8 on mine and love the reticle design. You can tune it very similar to the set up you are talking about. I haven't had the chance to take it out past 400 yet, but hopefully I can find a range to really get it out there.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of the rifle. It sounds like a great looking and well shooting set up. Scotty

Do a search on gunbroker gunsamerica and auction arms.

My model 70 did 3100 fps 160 ab and 66 gr RL22 with a 24" tube. What else can you ask for. It is the perfect WSm cal.

Bluejay":ad3pyjnh said:
I am starting to get interested in this caliber and I am trying to gather all the information I can.

I have noticed that not many manufacturers chamber this caliber, even though they offer the other WSM (.270 and .300).
Why's that ?
Do you know what brand/model of rifle do offer this caliber in their listing ?

Also, the rifles chambered in WSM calibers are normally offered in 24" barrel. Would there be any benefits in using a longer (26") barrel ?

Any info would be very welcome.

Thanks.
:wink:
..........................Don`t know exactly why 7 WSMs haven`t sold nearly as well as either the 270 or 300 WSM.

A possible guess is, that some 7mm fans still better favor the longer actioned 7s such as the 7 Remy Mag, 7mm Wby Mag and favor other very popular non-magnum cartridges such as the 7x57, 280 Rem and 7mm/08. WSM rifles use shorter actions and are a bit lighter.

A 24" or a 26" barreled 7 WSM won`t make "any" difference in terms of killing effectiveness given the same ranges on the same game. There will be around 40 to 60 fps total difference in velocity between the two barrel lengths. That means absolutely nothing in regards to hunting significance.

The 7 WSM like the other WSMs have no belt which many do favor. The WSMs because of their shorter actions, will allow the use of more compact scopes that have shorter mounting tube lengths if one chooses going that route.

Also and per my 49th Ed Lyman manual,,,,Quote,,,,"Like its 300 and 270 brethren, the 7 WSM is designed to take advantage of the short stubby position of powder for more efficient ignition. The WSM is a non belted design and will function in short actions unlike most other hi-performance 7mm chamberings. The 7 WSM features a longer body and shorter neck to prevent the cartridge from being mistakenly chambered in 270 WSM rifles. On paper, ballistics of the 7 WSM are on par with the time honored 7 Rem Mag."......Unquote

Other than what new rifles (if any) are chambered in the 7 WSM, that sums things up about the cartridge itself.

The 7mm WSM is probably the best of the short mags but the least likely to survive. I was a released later than the others because of a chambering problem that required a redesign after it was first introduced. The 7mmWSM ammo would chamber in the 270WSM rifles which is obviously a very bad thing. The solution was to bump the shoulder forward and steepen the shoulder to 35 deg to maintain an adaquate neck length.

The 7mm WSM is a ballistic twin to popular Rem Mag and the 7mm market is much smaller than the .308 cal market so there is not much of a niche

If considering a rifle I would try to get one with a 3 inch magazine minimum to allow you to seat the bullets out a bit and increase the oal. Savage comes to mind and I am sure there are others. Case encroachment with heavier bullets can be a drawback if your OAL is limited to 2.84". Some are chambering it in long actions which really opens up the case capacity for pushing heavy bullets.

I own 2 300WSN and one 270WSM barrel length ranges from 24" to 26". I think I'm one of the 7mm fans that Bg Squeeze was posting about there are better 7mm and I'm sure the 7WSM is a great rd but there some kind of a block on my checking acct as to building one.

I have both a 7mm RM and a 7mm WSM. I really can't say that I like one better than the other, but I do enjoy the 7mm WSM. This is probably because it is newer. In my experience, I have found it to be the easiest to load for of the short magnums, though none of them are necessarily difficult for working up a load. I don't know that I would build one, but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to buy one if a good used one appeared on the rack at a local gun shop. I would buy it knowing that it is a dying cartridge and that if I want to wring maximum potential out of the round I will have to hand load. But, then, isn't that true of all the cartridges about which people post on this forum?

DrMike":24954o7y said:
I have both a 7mm RM and a 7mm WSM. I really can't say that I like one better than the other, but I do enjoy the 7mm WSM. This is probably because it is newer. In my experience, I have found it to be the easiest to load for of the short magnums, though none of them are necessarily difficult for working up a load. I don't know that I would build one, but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to buy one if a good used one appeared on the rack at a local gun shop. I would buy it knowing that it is a dying cartridge and that if I want to wring maximum potential out of the round I will have to hand load. But, then, isn't that true of all the cartridges about which people post on this forum?

Here a good article on some 7mm
http://www.6mmbr.com/7mm284.html

Back