7 MSM and others at the range

joelkdouglas

Handloader
Jun 5, 2011
I finally made it to my new rifle range. It was nice--I was the only one there for a while this morning, then another gentleman showed up.

I brought along the (left to right) 6 BR, 30-06, and 7 MSM.

Also a 22 and the 25-06.

All of these targets are about 65 yards. Two of the scopes were brand new, and hadn't been boresighted, so I needed to get them on paper. When I finally moved to 100 (about the max on paper, they have steel targets farther), the wind had picked up. At that point there was a 16-18 mph crosswind with gusts to 25. Not perfect for groups, but the rifles shot fine then too.

6 BR top left, and the others are the 30-06. The 6 BR is a shooter, and it looks like the 30-06 will dial in nicely too. The bottom three holes (in the middle) are the first 3 out of the -06. I adjusted the scope and sent 3 more downrange. Then I adjusted the scope again and sent the one in the middle.

I discovered yet another issue with the new 30-06: the bottom metal pops open when fired. It was good for about 6 rounds, then it started popping open after every shot. I hear a tighter spring cures the problem. I find the more I shoot and hunt the less I care about group size and the more I care about rifle function. I fed all of these rounds from the rifle magazine.

The 25-06 still the same.

I shot the new 7 MSM last of the centerfires. I wondered about the recoil, but it really wasn't bad. A touch more recoil that the 30-06, but not much. I think 180 grain 30-06 loads might have more recoil that 139 grain 7 MSM loads. All I did today was fire her 10 times. Last night I put Dyna Bore Coat (DBC) in the barrel and let it cure. The 10 shots hardens the DBC. Today I'll clean her again, and then I'll clean at a much reduced interval. DBC is pretty nice that way.

She looks like she'll shoot.

I finished the day off with some rimfire fun. I recently discovered my rimfire barrel is on the receiver crooked. I guess I'm amazed it shoots this well. This year I'm going to get a nice little rimfire. I told my lovely wife that's what I want for Christmas. Maybe I'll write a letter to Santa.

Looks to have been a great day, Joel. You've got those rifles dialed in. They will work for you.

Did I see a Remchester mixed in with some nice looking Winchesters? :roll: :lol: :lol:
Good shooting. (y)

truck driver":1fjyo3q2 said:
Did I see a Remchester mixed in with some nice looking Winchesters? :roll: :lol: :lol:
Good shooting. (y)

I have to admit, I'm giving Winchester a chance.

Because I already know I like my Remingtons!

I own a few Remingtons also to go along with the Winchesters. But then I have also owned Savage and Weatherby so I guess I'm not partial to any brand as long as they shoot good. (y)

Very nice shooting. Any of those rifles will serve you well on any hunting adventure.

Back