7 RM/162 sst

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
7 RM, 162g SST, approximately muzzle velocity of 2950fps.

Bullet was found in 5th jug. The 162 SST, held together VERY nicely for a non-bonded/premium bullet. The core was still intact, perfect mushroom. I forgot the bullet out at jakes, but was hoping he could grab it, weight it and post the pic.

I havn't forgot about you buddy, things have just been a bit bussy the last few days. I'll get them up this week though.

Thanks for the report Jorey. I have looked at them a little, and would give them a whirl if I wanted a really inexpensive LR bullet. Scotty

utf-8BSU1BRzAwMDMuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzAwMDcuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzAwMDguanBn.jpg

Weighed 88 gr.

I was really impressed with this bullet, I have heard from a few buddies that shoot elk with them out of a 7 mag, that they are like tiny bombs! One wouldn't think that by looking at this one.

Wow, Jake, those look excellent. Can't see a thing wrong with that bullet at all. Pretty sleek missile too. Great pictures. Thanks for posting them. Scotty

I've used a lot of SSTs in the past, but I haven't loaded them much in recent years. They are a good bullet.

I have had a lot of success using a 162 gr 7mm SST in the 7mm Wea Mag at 3090 fps. Good groups, kills deer like crazy.

Since Nosler has yet to make a 160 gr 7mm Ballistic Tip, this is what I have been using, although I have bought a bunch af 7mm 160 gr AB's to try as well

I've recovered a handful of SST's, but they have always come "unglued".. they have never looked great like that one. I do use the 139's instead of the 162's.

I bought the 139's for the 7RM, but have decided they are better suited for my daughters 7-08. I have found them to be catastrophic on deer. Exit holes like softballs.

I have used those from my 7mm rum and 7mm rem mag

Nothing wrong with that mushroom.
The SST expands well but doesn't penetrate as much as other bullets.

JD338

I've had very good luck with 162 A-Max bullets launched from my 7 STW, however, I never recovered a nice little mushroom like that. Just dead deer and antelope.

Thanks! They fly like darts out of my 7mm. Just unsure on their performance on elk. I know they smash the heck out of deer and antelope!

I can only get 5 milk jugs worth of penatration with a 160 AccuBond from my 7mag, I think that is really good bullet performance.

Corey

Silentstalker":6bdi0s90 said:
Thanks! They fly like darts out of my 7mm. Just unsure on their performance on elk. I know they smash the heck out of deer and antelope!

Thinking they might be a bit fragile for elk.

If one "must" use them shot placement is critical.

I have been playing with these out of my STW for a while at the range. They make great target bullets, but man when I recover them out of the dirt, they are just pieces. The 160 ABs look like they should, every time. I was going to try a 162 A-Max on an elk this winter, but now I don't think so. They are just to unpredictable.

Well in all truth they are made for accuracy.....

Back