7mm-08 / 150gr ABLR Combo for Deer

Jesse,
Just reread your post and I am leaning towards us being on the same page! Lol.
I have gotta add we are seeing alot of preamium bullets showing up in camp and lots of hunters way over guned for what they are hunting...............
But one should always keep in mind alot of stuff on the internet is written by folks that simply grossly unexperenced at what they are commenting on.
Any one implying Nosler AB are a fragile easily blown
Up bullet, he has likely never used one?(likely repeating something he heard one of his heros say) This rings true with alot of similar stuff we have read about SST bullets some years back, and ditto when Nosler put the plastic tip, on the Soild Base", and renamed it the Ballistic Tip. It was all garbage and simply one persons viewpoint.
I have certainly noticed as soon as a guy shoots an elk or two; he is soon an Expert on elk hunting, And when he shoots his first sheep he is basically Jack O Conner, samething with guns
Calibers and bullets......... After a few years and limited time Afield; he quickly is an authority on bullet selections........
So if he tells you he uses the same bullets for Coyotes to Cape Buffalo, believe him HE probably does! The only problem is he likely hasnt killed either one! :? Often things are not what they seam?husky.jpg

Ps. I bet it would surprise alot of folks how well your little 7mm/08 would flatten a Bull Elk or Moose if you hit him correctly with one of your 150gr ABLR's. (y)

E, I think the ABLR's expand like crazy up front. What allows them to punch through an animal is the base as that is about all that's left. Even the 210 ABLRs hitting at about 2700'ish will dump a huge amount of weight, but you will have a little 100 grain base left with a small expanded base.

If I could make them shoot a little better I would probably use more of them. A fella on here used them on a elk, along with 2-3 other elk comparing them to the Bergers and ELD's. Seems like it acted a whole lot like the Berger just the expanded base plunked out the other side.

270 150 ABLR

300 Wby 210 ABLR

35 Whelen":2w50cz86 said:
" Limited Intergoogle reports".......... Lol, well I guess that can cover ALOT of country. To assume the ABLR would act like a "varmit bullet" at long range is an interesting conclusion?
I am guessing the exact opposite........
If it shoots right straight thru the shoulders of a Mule Deer at close range and exits,(DrMike) So because of the high velocity of a close shot ,and fact that the bullet still not opening up enough, too stay inside a 200lb deer.???That would sorta seam to indicate logically at longer ranges at reduced velocity, it is going to open up LESS than it did at close range.???? Probably not the best
Scenario if you slighly misplace the shot on a deer at 300 yds.( Seams to happen all the time with my hunters) As your almost certain to have a pass thru with a heavy jacket or BONDED bullet.
Big Game like Elk and Moose certainly at 700/1000 lbs may offer enough extra mass to justify using Bonded Bullets .
But a 200 lb deer(Or 200lb Bear) vs Bonded bullets sounds like guaranteed " pass thru" with lots of the energy the bullet actually had; getting wasted on the trees on the backside of the deer.???
You have some very nice bullets there! And for game over 400lbs with twice the mass of a deer,
The ABLR may very well be the ticket??
And though a varmit bullet that almost "explodes" at close range will not have that same effect at long ranges and at reduced velocitys, and almost certainly have less expansion than at higher velocitys.................. Not sure what other correlation there may with bullet with an ultra thin jacket vs one with a far heavier jacket that is" bonded to the core "???
I would prefer standard bullet like a Corelokt,Hot Core, InterLokt, GameKing , SST, or Ballistic Tip for game under 400lb.
For game over 400lbs the AB and Partitions would lead the pack for gettin it done.
At any rate enjoy the ABLRs they are great for what they were intended for.
E

The Regular 140gr Accubonds in the .277 diameter are Deer Kryptonite, but maybe the high quick-death rate was more because it was just going 2900fps out of a lowly old 270 Winchester.

I never thought of it that way: Thank You.

Funny how that old ancient. .270W just always seam to be the " perfect brew" for deer sized game. 140/2900 or 130/3000........ It just dont get any better for deer.

Scotty,
Thanks for that info, thats interesting stuff, and I knew you
Would have messed around with them and have good records of what you found. Good run down on the AB. Tnx
Interesting that your testing is sounding like a parallel to what we saw from Nosler Partitions 40 years ago! We recovered quite a few from bears and moose, they all looked identical, flatten front back to the H, base all intact.
However my limited experence with ABLR's is all on Deer at various ranges from our .270 and I had the same results as Mike , compleate pass thrus on every one? One of our Guides is a Passamaquoddy Indian, and can harvest a moose every year, he shoots ABLRs alot more than I do and has had the same experence as myself a bunch of pass thrus on actual deer ???? But we have recovered some from the moose he has shot with them, they looked very similar to the one in your photo. Another buddy of mine goes out to Idaho and hunts Elk with his brother that lives there, I loaded him some of those 210s for his 06 and he had a passthru on a big 6pt that was double lunged ??? They got him but he ran off.......
So for us they seam to work better on game larger than deer? As we certainly do NOT see the same "struck by lightning" results as we normally see with SST bullets(or Ballistic Tips back when we used them) on DEER. I shot a very large body Whitetail Buck last fall in Kansas with a 150gr ABLR from about 80 yds that walked right up to me and and beded down right across from me on the river bank. I shot him thru the back of the shoulders and he then got UP onto his front feet as I lifted him again with another AB...........both bullets whistled right thru him . IMG_20161201_091119849.jpgHe field dressed 238lbs ........ I would be willing to bet my 35 Whelen I could have knocked him "right out of park" if I had hit him with SST bullet. It would have transfered ALL of the energy INTO the deer and he would have been another" lights out" kill . Years ago I found out firing Bitteroot and Swift bullets into wet Anchorage phone books it was a great way to compare
How bullets compared to " each other". But I also found that the actual performance into real live bears was something quite different. Just a little food for thought.

E

For sure E. Water jugs aren't live animals with bones, mud, and muscle, but they do give at least an idea to see what bullet will hold up decently or grenade on impact. Even then I have had perfect results in the water jugs and then seen the same darned bullet come completely unglued when driven into the front leg bone of a Whitetail buck. Never would have guessed to be honest.

I still believe the widest and flatest frontal area a bullet can hold onto through an animal will be the quickest killer. Having seen a couple of elk knocked flat with the Bitterroots and a bunch of animals from an old buddy of mine using Bitterroots for a long time seems to back it up.

I am giving the Hornady Interbonds a try in my 7mm Mashburn Super right now. Just waiting for a free day to get them on paper. Figured I would give old red a try and see what happens.

Not the 7mm flavor, but this is a 142 ABLR from my 264 WM. MV= 3250 with the magnetospeed. This bullet was taken from an elk I shot this fall at 137 yards. Bullet entered the hip after nicking a twig, passed through the pelvis, 5' or so of elk innards (technical term, ya know) and ended up against the off-side shoulder blade.
The first shot was just behind the shoulders and dropped him, but, he got back up and I put this one through him to end the discussion.

Below is a picture of the exit wound the 142 did to an axis doe (about 130 lbs live weight) taken with a 6.5x55 Swede at 109 yards.

I think you'll be good to go with no worries about over-expansion at high velocity or closer ranges.

I use the 90 gr version in my 243 and took a whitetail doe at 30 yards with entrance/exit wounds similar to the axis picture above

Scotty,
Keep us posted on the Hornadys out of the Mashburn Monster! Did you draw????
E

Back