7mm-08 168 gr. ABLR

smitt32006

Beginner
Apr 20, 2017
I'm looking to see if anyone has tried these heavy bullets out of a 7mm-08.

The first go, I tried 38 gr. Reloader 15, with the bullet seated at .060" off the lands. This gives a base to ogive of 2.168" and wielded 7/8" at 100 yards.

Besides experience, I want to know if I should build a ladder load with powder or seating depth first.

The 2.168" BtO is the longest I can make the cartridge and still have it feed from the magazine into the action. Interestingly enough, the magazine isn't the limiting factor, it's the action.

I've tried to shoot Hornady white tail out of the gun and it wouldn't even pattern. The Hornady Super Performance gave me a 3" group at 100 yards. Any factory ammo recommendations would be appreciated too.

Trued Remington Short Action from NorthWest Actionworks, Brux 1:9 twist 4 groove rifling 24" barrel. Magpul Hunter stock, unbedded.
Thanks

I question as to why you feel the necessity to try using a heavy weight (for cartridge) in the 7mm/08.

High BC ? Greater possible down range KE? Wind Drift? What ?

And what are you shooting at? Steel, game, cardboard commies?

The 140 AB/BT, or even the150 ABLR, squeak out about the most realistic overall top performance from the little 7...that is why a BaZillion of us use it.

Tell us your thought process.

I like the high B.C. and I would like to to see how far I can push 7mm-08 super sonic. Since higher B.C. almost always over comes slower MV, it made sense to try the 168 gr. ABLR. I'm guessing most people use the 140 and 150 gr AB's because they have been around for a long time and are proven. Frankly, the bullet cartridge combo should perform well for almost any application.

But really, I want to because Nosler came out with a new product I wanted to play with!

I've seen/heard people say seating depth / base to ogive / jump, plays a major factor in these bullets. And i'm looking for advice on how to approach the development of the load. Nosler even states the ABLR often prefer .050" jump or greater.

Here is a link to what Berger says about their long and heavy bullets.
http://www.bergerbullets.com/getting-th ... our-rifle/

The 168 ABLR is one I am going to try in a Mod 700 Classic 7x57. Just for hunting I don't plan on shooting past 400 on the outside and have never killed an animal past 375 or so. I like the thump of the heavier bullets from the older rounds, and I average 200 ys on elk kills, so I think it would work fine on them, plus, hogs up close ( woods ranges) it should work well too. Good luck in the 7mm08 ( I never shot heavier than 139 in my old Kimber 84M)

I used to shoot 46 grains of RL17 with 162's and 168's for a bit over 2700 fps from a 22" barrel. As always, work up for safety's sake.

And if you really want to just keep the rifle supersonic as long as possible, you might want to try 195 bergers, 183 sierras, or the new 180 hornady.

Back