7mm-08 elk bullet.

jmad_81

Handloader
Feb 14, 2007
Just bought the wife a Remintog 700 guide gun in a 7mm-08, it has a short skiny 22' barrel and doesn't weigh very much. When I bough it the guy behind the counter was asking what all she was going to be hunting with it and when I metioned elk he said that it was to small. I assured him that it would do anything if not more than the 25-06 he was trying to get me to buy. So he kept going off about how if I used the biggest bullet available it MIGHT work. To wich I resonded that the 7mm-08 handloaded will push a 150gr Partition just as fast as a factory .270 win and people kill everything with that every year. You just have to be more carefull. well he wet off again on some rant about how elk get wounded all the time from guns like this, I was about to jump over the counter and strangle him when the wife stepped up and told him that the people making those shots obviously didn't wait for the right shot and/or didn't practice enough and that shut him up.

So on to my question . . . is a 140 gr AB goig to be enough bullet for elk or should I stick wih the 150 Partition (a 150 AB would be nice)? I want something that is going to be a one load for everythig type of bullet for deer, elk, speed goats, black bears, and anything else that size.

Thanks

Were it me I would pick 150 Partition or 160 AB...just to be safe. With the right load a 160 AB at 2700 fps rocks!

try win 760.

I would load the 140gr Accubonds for everything in the 7mm-08. It will help you keep the velocity up. The 160gr Partition has a tendency to under expand on deer, even out of a 7mm mag. It would be one of my last bullet choices for deer. On the other hand, the rapid initial expansion and bonded shaft of the AccuBond will still perform well on elk. Just don't set you wife up for any 700+ yard shots on elk and you will be fine.

jmad_81

The 140 gr AB will do a great job but for elk, the 150 gr PT or 160 gr PT/AB would be a better choice. You should be able to get 2700 fps with the 160 gr bullets in the 7mm-08.

JD338

I figured that the 140 AB would work, but still think that I might go a little heaveir. If nosler made a 150 AB I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be having this conversation! What about an Etip or a tsx (sorry nosler) in the 150 gr range?

I have the 140ABs loaded in my 270WSM. I wouldn't hesitate to use them elk hunting. I just make dang sure of my shot placement, which I do for any of my rifles. If you take out the pumphouse, they won't go to far.

jmad,

#1 Congrats and good of ya standing your ground and not letting him talk you into something else.
I was given a M700 Varmiter about 20yrs ago and have taken several elk with it. I've seen the same results / performance out of 120, 140 & 150gr B-tips. The shorter 22in barrel I'd recommend the 140gr A.B. to keep the speed up.... it's plenty for elk.
One step further, my wife has the little sister of the 7-08 a .260 in a model 7. We've both taken elk with this and the 120gr B-tip and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

The 7-08 doesn't appear to be finicky to load for.....I've used nothing but a lot of IMR-4350 through mine with great results.

Again Congrats and let us know how it shoots !

I to shoot 140 AB out of my 270 WSM and I would have no problems using it for elk. So i'm thinking about the trying the 140 AB. Anybody have any good load suggestions that work good for their rifles? Thinking I should be able to push one around 2850-2900 fps.

That would be my choice. The Nosler book shows good velocities wih imr4895, RL19, and Big Game. Those should be some good powders to start with.

I have 22" BDL in 7mm-08. I have found that WW 760 works the best for me with 140 grain bullets. I could reach 2950 with 49.0 grains of 760. That's a hot load, but listed in several reloading manuals, and showed no signs of excessive pressure. I'm cutting back to 48.2 grains for an even 2900, which brings it in to a perfect match to my B&C reticle. Anything from 47.0-49.0 will shoot sub MOA in my rifle. (According to Ken Waters, 48.0-48.5 grains of non canister 760 was the Remington factory load).

Now that 760 is H414, I don't know how this will work out. Maybe it was the same as H414 all along, but I got different results out of the two over the years. H414 was always listed at 47.0 max, while 760 was commonly listed at 48.0-49.0 max in various manuals. I grabbed a lifetime supply of 760 when I first heard of Hodgdon taking over the Winchester powder line.

Three powders to start with would be 760/H414, H4350, and Varget.

Ed

I've found that RL 19 is too slow for a 22" barrel. The best a max load (48.0 per Ramshot vs 46.0 Nosler) of Big Game would give me is ~2810. This matched Ramshot's data well when factoring the 2" shorter barrel). H4895 didn't work well for me either, showing signs that it was a bit too fast for optimum velocity in my rifle. It may work well in a different rifle.

Nosler uses a 26" barrel for testing the 7mm-08, why I have no idea. They test the 7mm Mag out of 24". I've found their data to be of little use to the majority of 7mm-08 hunters, who have guns with 20-22" barrels. I've found that Ken Waters, Hodgdon, Speer, and Ramshot's data match what I chronograph in my rifle.

Ed

edh thanks for the info that ought to keep me busy for a while. :grin:

I would load the 150 e-tip for everything! From mice to moose, from 7mm-08 to the 7 rum.

Now that 760 is H414, I don't know how this will work out. Maybe it was the same as H414 all along, but I got different results out of the two over the years. H414 was always listed at 47.0 max, while 760 was commonly listed at 48.0-49.0 max in various manuals.

H414 and W760 have been the same powder all long. The difference you see in data is due to different powder lots and bullet brand/types. Speer as an example "may" have a shorter or longer bearing surface then Nosler or a softer core or jacket alloy. It all makes a difference in the pressure the labs sees.
I`ve had good luck in the past with both Varget and IMR350 in my 708s. Lately though, I have been playing with IMRs` new 4007. The velocities are as good as I`ve ever got with any powder, most times better and accuracy outstanding.

Here are a couple targets shot during load work up with various charges of IMR4007 and bullets.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/ ... C01230.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/ ... C01231.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/ ... C00930.jpg

I`m beginning to think this is a real sleeper for use in the 708.

took the 708 out to sight it in this weekend with a factory box of core lokts and WOW is all I have to say! I have got my work cut out for me that is for sure. That thing has got to have a ten pound trigger on it no joke. So i'm going to be doing some free floating and releave a few preasure points, and adjust the trigger this week and hit the range next weekend with some handloaded 120 BT for practice.

Ol' Joe thanks for the info it looks like those are shooting pretty dang good! I have Big game, RL 15, 19, IMR 4895, and IMR 4350 on hand so I might try the ones you recomended bofore I get my hands on some 4007. Come to think of it though there is a load or two for my .375 Ruger that calls for 4007 as well so I might just have to go get some and give it a try.

Robert Ruarke said something like: "Use enough gun!"
I hunted with a guide near Darby Montana, who claimed he killed all his elk with a 22-250, shooting them through the lungs on a broadside shot. No way can I argue with him, except to say that using a 22-250 may be very foolhardy for a hunter who does not live in elk country, but only goes to hunt elk a few times in a lifetime. In the case of the out of state trophy hunter, using a 22-250 or a 7mm-08 may be making a big mistake, in the event that: (1) The elk is a huge bull, that (2) does not present a good angle for a shot and (3) is within the range where the shooter feels capable, but is carrying a cartridge that is not.
Of course, I agree that everyone needs to set their own limits, but those limits may not be "one size fits all!"
I have only hunted elk five times and every hunt I had cows and spikes on good shots within 100yds. On only one hunt did I get my bull, because he was the only legal elk that I had a chance to get. He was at 302 measured yards, downhill and facing me moving with a small herd. Two bullets went down into his heart lung area, but did not knock him down. The third bullet, hit him under the left eye and he folded. The bullet was the 180 GrandSlam 30-06. I would not want anything less on that shot. Had I had less of a cartridge and felt that I needed to wait for less range or a better presentation, I likely would not have gotten my bull.
Good hunting.
Steven

I see the same results with the 140's & 150's
IMR-4350 is pretty much all I've ever tried....hard to move away from it with these results...
Shooting003.jpg

roysclockgun-
I thanks you for your concern but I know very well what an big bull elk looks like and what it takes to kill one. A 140 grain AccuBond through the lungs will have the same effect as anything else through the lungs. If you read the first post I stated that this gun is my wifes, and she is not a big girl by any means. she is a prety dang good shot and knows that she is going to have to wait for everything to be perfect in orded for her to take an ethical shot. I personaly shoot a 338WM, or a 375 Ruger for elk, but have killed them wih a 270 Win as well. I really don't think that she is planing on doig any out of state hunting being that Oregon has alot of elk and some pretty impressive bulls if you can draw a tag.

It is all about shot placement, always has been always will be.

Back