7mm-08 Load question

Huntbear

Beginner
Jun 6, 2009
Ok, I have finally gotten around to working up handloads for my little custom 7mm-08. I built it on a Rem. 700 SA, a 22 in. Douglas barrel with an MPI stock. It shoots factory loads lights out, but am looking for better performance.

I have settled on W760 with a magnum primer, Winchester brass and 140 gr. Ballistic Tips. My question is this:

Winchester shows 46 gr. as max. Ken Waters in Pet Loads says 49 is max, and that Remington loads a non cannister grade of 760 at 48-48.5 gr. Which is it??

I know the gun will shoot, now I want to get it to 2900 fps if possible, and was told that 760 is the powder to do it, now I am wondering.

Huntbear

Ken Waters is the dean of reloading. He determined MAX loads by measuring the web area of the case. Modern technology used by Nosler and other manufactures many times comes in with a lower charge weight.

Play it safe and work up to recent published MAX loads. Better to focus on stellar accuracy than pure velocity.

JD338

I agree totatlly on accuracy over velocity, but I of the mind that I can have both in this caliber. :grin:

It just drives me crazy to see such large discrepancies regarding the same caliber and powder. Also, the Win. load data says the max load of 46 gr. is only 49,500 cup. Is this not a modern cartridge capable of modern pressures?

With H414, which is w760, Nosler lists 42-46 grains with Remingtion brass. Winchester brass is thinner then Remintion, and in a .270 Win you typically have to reduce about a gain when switching fm Win to Rem brass.
Having never loaded for a 7mm-08, I'd start at 42gr and work up, letting my gun tell me who was right about the max load. As you mentioned, you are using a Remintion 700 action. The quality and strength of the action should always be a large consideration when deciding what you believe is a max load.

Huntbear

When I loaded 7mm-08, I used RL 19 and a 140 gr PT. Accuracy was excellent and velocity was close to 2900 fps.

Might be worth a try.

JD338

I am starting slowly, and working up, I am just amazed at the differences in load data out there for the same powder, same weight bullet, is all. I have been reloading for years, and really this is the first time I have questioned load data like this. Maybe to much research is a bad thing. :roll:

I love the 7mm/08 .It is my sons favorite deer rifle.
We use the Nosler 140 BT and IMR 4350.

Huntbear

Powerstroke and Longwinters have both done quite a bit with the 7mm-08. Hopefully they will jump in here or do a search for additional load data.

JD338

Huntbear":1pn8uot9 said:
Also, the Win. load data says the max load of 46 gr. is only 49,500 cup. Is this not a modern cartridge capable of modern pressures?

FYI, CUP is not a measure of PSI. They are two different units of measuring pressure that can't be coverted into each other.

Some time back it was pointed out on a thread that the Nosler manual is a guide. This is true of all reloading data. You are responsible to work up a safe load for your rifle, given the guide that is provided by various bullet and powder manufacturers. Differences occur because the conditions are not precisely identical. Barrel lengths differ, different primers are used, different lot numbers of powder are used, some firms use pressure vessels whilst others use factory rifles--all these factors introduce variations that alter the results. The data generated by reputable firms is safe given their particular conditions, and each of us as hand loaders is responsible to ensure that we observe the rules of safe loading for our own situation.

I shot 7X57mm's for years. I really like the 7mm/08 better though.My son's rifle is a Steyr Safebolt stainless hunter.It has a 20" barrel.The load of 46 grains of IMR 4350,Winchester brass,Federal 210 primer,Nosler 140 BT will shoot under an inch and 100 yds.He has killed some really nice bucks with that load.Velocity has never been as big a concern to me as accuracy.If you can get both then that is great.
The 7mm/08 may be the perfect deer rifle. :wink:

I had really good luck with Ramshot Big game. Can't remember off the top of my head but I know it was a half grain under the nosler max that shot best in my wifes 7mm-08. Consistantly three under an inch. The Quick Load program has this load going something like 2933 out of a 22 inch barrel. I have not gotten it over a crony yet but should the next time I go out shooting with Remingtonman.

I know thats not the powder you were looking for but it might help.

HB,

There are an awful lot of good powders for the 7m-08 (Not that I am telling you guys anything). I have tried all that have been mentioned and always seem to come back to H4350. With about any 120 - 140 gn bullet you can load from 46 up to 50 gns (compressed) of H4350 and be pretty good. Course you want to work up etc... but I have pretty much settled on 48 gns with either weight bullet.

Now I have only shot factory barrels, not custom, but in my Browning SS, a Rem 700 CDL and my Sako (which is in line to get accurized a/c it is not making me happy) these combo's have been the best. The bullets for me have been the 120 BT and the 140 AccuBond. Both the Browning and the Rem were consistently under MOA and the Sako at 1.25 :? .

Have Fun

Long

I have yet to put my 7-08 across the chrony with any detailed results. I've shot fron 150gr SMK's years ago when I was shooting silhouttes, to 140 / 150gr B-tips to now setteling on the 120gr B-tip. All have shot excellent groups well under an inch on a factory barrel Rem 700 BDL Varmiter.
I have always gone back to good ole IMR-4350 but had the same results from Viht N-140. Generally always at book max and certianly compressed w/IMR-4350. Again starting low and working up......

Just curious why you mention using a Magnum primer?
Shooting003.jpg

Thanks for the info guys, am going to shoot this Friday.

As for the Magnum primers, that is what I have, (and we know about trying to find primers right now) and after researching this forum back a year or so, found threads with guys using them, so I figured I would give them a try.

I've used the exact combination that you are considering in a Remington 700 with a 22" barrel.

The 49 grains of 760 with a magnum primer is still listed in the newest Speer manual. My rifle will shoot 5 into less than an inch with that load at 2950 fps. I recently backed off to 48.3 grains to bring the velocity down to 2900 fps, which on paper, exactly matches my B&C reticle.

I found 49 grains to be perfectly safe in my rifle. The primers had some radius remaining, no ejector marks, and no sticky bolt. The chronograph verified that things were OK too. 49 grains was on a linear progression of velocity, and the SD was very low. I have no doubt that this load was at the limit, as the muzzle blast had a sharpness to it that was not present at lower charges. As always, work up slowly.

Powerstroke: Speer and other manuals that I have seen recommend magnum primers with ball powder even for cases with modest capacity.

Ed

Back