7mm-08 Question

Leo M

Beginner
Feb 5, 2005
If the game was whitetail only (or possibly pronghorn) would you use the 120 grain Ballistic Tip for flatter trajectory or one of the various 140 grain offerings by Nosler? Thanks for any advice.

Depends on the range.
The 7mm 120 gr BT is a very robust bullet. It is actually a 140 gr BT jacket cut down to create the 120 gr BT. This gives it a thicker jacket all the way up from the solid base to the tip. This design allows it to handle higher impact velocities better than any other BT offering.

The 120 gr BT will work very well in your 7mm-08. If you are going to be shooting beyond 300 yds, the higher BC of the 140 gr BT will give you the advantage with better wind bucking capabilities and more down range velocity and energy.

JD338

JD338;
Nothing over 300 for whitetails. Does the 120 grain fly OK, stable and accurate etc.? Could you stretch the 120 grain to 350 yards on a pronghorn or go with the 140 grain? Pronghorn is just a dream hunt, but I would like to be prepared. Thanks again.

I'd have to say take your pick. As JD stated, the 140 would give you a little more down range punch... if your keeping it under 300yds I'd probably look at the 120's I can pretty much interchange the 120, 140 & 150's with the same accuracy results....* excellent *
Shooting003.jpg

Leo M

The 120 gr will do just fine on speed goats at 350-400 yds. The 140 gr will have less wind drift at those ranges.
Try both bullets and pick the one that shoots the best in your rifle.

JD338

Leo M":gri0su5r said:
If the game was whitetail only (or possibly pronghorn) would you use the 120 grain Ballistic Tip for flatter trajectory or one of the various 140 grain offerings by Nosler? Thanks for any advice.

Yes!!! We have taken big game from 75 yards to 335 yards with 120 BT's at 3100 fps with RL 19. Never ever recovered a bullet.

I was going to shoot those for Rock Chucks in the STW. Sounds like they might be good for a whole lot more! :grin:

Antelope_Sniper":4v7py5u9 said:
I was going to shoot those for Rock Chucks in the STW. Sounds like they might be good for a whole lot more! :grin:

The 120 gr BT will work great. The only concern is wind drift at long range.
A heavier 140 gr BT would do better in the wind.

JD338

I've been using these for many years now on Michigan Whitetails. I've never had to fire a second time. I've done well with IMR 4064 in my short barreled Model 7 Remington. Sub moa accuracy, hard hits, dead deer, low recoil, it just doesn't get any better than this!

JD338":24v9cn4b said:
The 7mm 120 gr BT is a very robust bullet. It is actually a 140 gr BT jacket cut down to create the 120 gr BT.
JD338

Jim is spot on! As stated before we have shot big game with a 120 BT and the 7mm-08 (MV 3100 fps) from 65 yards to over 300 yards. Never did recover a slug!

Back