7mm-08 range day with 120 gr Prohunter

tecumseh

Handloader
Oct 20, 2010
Made it out yo the range today and tried some 120 gr Sierra Prohunters with IMR-4064. They shot better than I expected.

Attachments

• IMG_2063.JPG
    IMG_2063.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 986
Nice shooting. Reshoot to verify and
go hunt.

JD338

Very encouraging load. As JD338 recommends, "reshoot to verify and go hunt!"

I have at least 200 pro hunters. How do they perform on Game? Are the like a interlock or more like a Partition? I hope to draw a black bear tag this summer I have lots of choices in stock, interlocks, pro hunters, partitions, and AB. Bear in Michigan run 225-350 usually, outliers can make low 600's.
A) interlock, probably ok for ave bear
B) Pro Hunter ?
C) partitions, probably great for the big one or shoulder shots on little ones
D) AB probably a grate choice.

Thoughts on a-d?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinking 180g on a 3006, if my Model 70EW shows up, 300WM is probably the upgrade choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

180gn out of a 30-06 will do great on Black Bear. I wouldn't feel at all under gunned.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

tecumseh":3jq2mt4f said:
Made it out yo the range today and tried some 120 gr Sierra Prohunters with IMR-4064. They shot better than I expected.

Nice shooting! Considering that load for deer next season?

Guy

Very nice shooting load.

MJ, when in question I use a Nosler. I don't like guessing once the bullet hits game.

It is s flat base bullet, I'm gonna use it for deer hunting and wouldn't rule it out for black bear too if shoots this good the next couple times I shoot it again.

jimbires":29e6v3c1 said:
I wouldn't worry about hitting a shoulder to make a Partition work . they will do their thing with normal shot placement .

That's very true, and something a lot of folks don't understand. The front half of the Nosler Partition is not particularly heavily constructed. It will expand readily. Causes tremendous damage. THEN that rear core gives the deep penetration.

Often there's little, if anything, left of the front part.

Guy

Back