3030 and 125gn pills

So I successfully procured some Speer hot cores in the 130 flavor. With varget, if I stay under 34.8 Gains, I’m around 1” .. so seems to be a fairly stable range 34.0-35.0
With CFE223 seems stable at 1.25” for 34.7gns to 35.7gns. CFE223 is giving me 2500 fps, varget right around 2400 fps.

125 Sierra ProHunters for 3030, I haven’t found. Grafs had the Hot Cores in stock at 130. My confirmation loads with Big Game and TAC did nothing to reassure me.. those were also 150 gn bullets.

So the light bullet is helping and I think with the extra 100-200 fps, the 130’s should get it done. Will try to find that handloader issue.

Should confirm the 130 results with cfe and Varget tomorrow. Maybe take them out on a week from Saturday for another crack at crop damage does.

Just got the latest issue of Handloader magazine and it has a feature article on the 30-30 includes 125,130 gr bullets. Might check it out. Dan.
I read that article online. Was nice that they share their 4 shot groups. Their velocities were lower, so guessing a barrel length issue. I was surprised most their groups with 1.4-1.6” at 75 yards… I’ve been Whiney about 1.25”-1.5” at 100 yards. Their comments on CFE and Varget seem aligned with my experiences.

This last range session I broke out the lead sled to make sure I wasn’t contributing to poor groups by torquing the gun on my front rest. Definitely not my favorite way to test fire loads.(still keep a hand on the comb and forearm. Just to hold it steady.

I’m curious enough, I’ll order either the Speers or sierras in 125 or 130. I think the added speed should generate a good wound channel and a good result.

The crop damage permits are not valid during a licensed hunt. Next two weekends have licensed hunts, I’ve been helping on is on a two week hold.. youth hunt 9/9-10 in Michigan and early antlerless on 9/16-17.(different tag). I think if I can find one of those bullets, I could have it ready for 9/23, 9/30. 10/1 marks the bow season opener.
First, I’m a fan of the youth hunt, and I don’t complain about kids scoring a great buck vs a doe. I’ve seen some really awesome bucks on the Facebook account Michigan Outdoors Report. Lots of happy Kids. If you looks, please only post positive comments to these young hunters/huntresses.

Well. That sucked.

Where to start? Two issues.
Jump and bullet alignment/neck tension.

First Checked Jump.
An OAL of the 3030 in my Marlin 336
With the
speer Hot core 130gn fn is 2.605”
Sierra PH 150FN 2.599”
Hornady IL 150RN 2.728”

I see why the 130 and SPH shoot better.
Jump is around 0.05 for SPH and SHC
HIL has a jump of 0.175

Went back to some loads that showed promise. I’ve been using my RCBS seater die, so have been continually making small adjustments between the 4 bullets.
I settle in on 2.550 for the 130’s and 2.540 for the SPH. But will admit, sometimes I was a little shorter.. so maybe I caused the variability… Reaching past my Lee seater to get the factory crimp.. I realized if I used that seater, I could use the RCBS for the Speer and Lee for the Sierra.

The Lee seater die seems to work fine until.., I had a couple bullets stick in the die… so clearly, not enough neck tension. Brass problem too? I’ll take the die apart later today and clean it. Worse..I noticed a bullet that looked cockeyed. Not straight..

Now I’m wondering if my issue with not finding a consistent ideal load is a brass issue, a bullet seating issue and a jump issue all rolled into one.

I have a few pieces of R&P and FC brass.

I think I’ll test those with my RCBS seater with a 0.02” jump. varget, big game and CFE223.

The brass I’ve been using is starline. Which in other calibers I’ve had very good results.

Would appreciate your thoughts on
3030 and Jump.
Lee die seating crookedly sometimes
Soft necks…

Frustrating evening on the bench.

336 got a really good cleaning.. that precipitated the jump checking.

Felt one one of those nights where I learned all my lessons previously learned all again in one night…

Couple of quick questions -
Has the brass been annealed , multiple firings will work harden the brass causing springback when sizing.
What is your measured neck tension?
Starline is good brass as long as you keep the prep work consistent.

Has the brass been annealed , multiple firings will work harden the brass causing springback when sizing.

Yes, it was annealed. I have about 200 pieces that were prepped at the same time.
Maybe I should reduce it to a working set of 50. Certainly not hard to keep a batch together.

Neck tension as measured Outside diameter loaded minus outside diameter unloaded is .003”
Wall thickness is 0.014”
Not sure I’m doing this right (neck tension)
(0.328-0.325(unloaded). I am using a factory crimp die. Might be interesting to see if it does more than squeeze at the cannelure.

Yes, it was annealed. I have about 200 pieces that were prepped at the same time.
Maybe I should reduce it to a working set of 50. Certainly not hard to keep a batch together.

Neck tension as measured Outside diameter loaded minus outside diameter unloaded is .003”
Wall thickness is 0.014”
Not sure I’m doing this right (neck tension)

Sounds like you have your bases covered. I will say Lee’s seating stems leave a little to be desired. I had enough of the 22-250 Lee seater and moved on from it. Lead tip bullets would stick when lowering the ram and would click as it was released from the bullet. It never effected my seating depth , just annoying. My 35 Whelen Lee seater is fine.
You measured correctly and you have 0.003” neck tension which is sufficient.
I do use Lee crimp dies for cast and Hammer bullets and don’t have any issues. Cast gets a heavy crimp and Hammers are fairly light crimp.

I appreciate the extra set of eyes and brains. Ordered a set of Redding dies. I have mostly RCBS dies, a handful of Lee dies, and Redding seems to be where I’m heading…
Mainly liking how they align bullets..

I think that did it. OAL 2.592 SPH 150 FN with 36 gn of big game or 32.5 of varget.
Varget was under and inch, and I thin the shooter was holding big game back. The third one was the Speer HC 130’.s. Guessing I need to tune the jump more..
I’ll probably load up enough SPH 150’s for the season and I’ll burn the 130’s in my soft brass to work it a bit.

Thank you all again.

I should have my new Redding dies on Monday or Tuesday. The RCBS seater did fine. I called RCBS and they would not service my sizer die. If it hadn’t been a flood, I’m sure they would have polished it up for me.

Attachments

• IMG_2208.jpeg
    IMG_2208.jpeg
    247.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2209.jpeg
    IMG_2209.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2210.jpeg
    IMG_2210.jpeg
    251.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
You’ll like those Redding dies. I have a few sets and if needed their costumer service is out standing.

So varget and big game were shooting well.
Decided to try their max loads and LVR and TAC. With the longer OAL 2.592, all the loads were 1.25” or less. I think LVR is a bit over 2500 fps and TAC was right behind it.
I’ve got about 50 piece is brass that are shooting good. Wondering if the 180’s will shoot too… might give that a try later.
I did replace the 1-6 scope with a 3-9.
I couldn’t adjust the ocular enough to see the points of impact. I can now.

Sounds like you’re sorting that 30-30 out.

That’s some good speed out of the 130 bullets.
Actually with the LVR and 150 SPH, book says I should be about 2512.

I’m burning up the 130’s to work my soft brass. cFE223 middle load.. might do the same with the CTBT 150 RN or maybe throw that at the 3006 and see if they shoot well there. Going to retest varget.

Just a pre rifle season update.
Went with SPH 150 FN over 34.2 gn of varget. I’d call it just a bit over 1” at 100.

Some of my frustrations with the brass and seating does might really be a neck size issue. I am not getting consistent neck tension to get consistent seating depths. So a lot of post seating playing with adjusting to get consistent OAL. Using Lee Factory to crimp.. it really slows the process to be measuring every round multiple times. I did find the Redding sizer die is giving me acceptable neck tension. But the seater die was a little flakey. It’s the standard one vs the competition seater that I normally buy.
My RCBS FL sizer was a flood victim and I had been using the Lee sizer. My Micrometer is measuring 0.305.
Lee has a .3035 diameter rod for $5 which I ordered. Plan to resize the brass with Redding and if that doesn’t get the tension where it needs to be, I’ll try the collet at .3035”

Back