7mm 140 Accubond load

remingtonman_25_06":1ey5ewnk said:
Heres an update on my 7mm with 140g btips. My rifle is a rem 700 bdl with 24" tube. My last can of RL-22 varied 150fps on my 168g VLD loads. The first can was 2940fps and .3" groups at 100 yards. New can was shooting 3100fps and .5" groups. I dont wanna deal with this every time I buy a new pound of powder. Hodgons extreme powder just make sense.

Remingtonman,

I have had great luck with RL22 in my 338 RUM and 280AI. I too have seen some variances from can to can. About the only thing to do is find a good lot and buy several pounds at a time.

H1000 might be a good alternative.

JD338

remingtonman, I am still thinking about using RL-22 in my 7mm SAUM. Have you given any thought to buying a 5lb can of RL-22 instead of 1 pound at a time? This would reduce this amount of times you have to start low, and then work back up to a new load with each new can of powder. This is what I'm thinking of doing, instead of abandoning the powder. In fact, last time I bought RL-19, I bought 3 cans, all of the same lot number. With these powders, it seems that buying more at once is a good idea.

I bought 3 cans, all of the same lot number

I was always taught don't assume when using different lot numbers of any powder. As such I buy 3 x lbs min and sometimes more of the same lot#. I don't usually buy 5lbs kegs b/c if I don't like the powder or it causes problems I am stuck with a ton of powder and feel the need to make it work. With buying several 1 lb jars of the same lot I can achieve the same thing but also be able to exchange the unopened ones for something else. Works for me and maybe why I like RL22 still. I did buy a 5lb keg of 7828 though as it was a super deal and the same lot # as my singles. Should be good for awhile since I haven't touched it yet.

I went on the Alliant website and there was a notice on RL-22 for
Lot# 25083 and you may want to check it out since one of you guys are having variations between the Lot numbers. Just a thought
Mark

Back