7mm 150gr Accubond LR...When will they become available??

Ingwe

Beginner
Jan 27, 2013
I am dying to load them up for my rifle! Any ideas when and who will get them first? :?:

Thanks Frank

When I think "long range", I think of heavy for caliber bullets. I'm on the Nosler waiting list too but it is the 7mm 175 LRAB that I'm interested in. The projected date of availability seems to change depending on what your source of information is.

The easiest thing to do is just backorder the bullets that you want and you should receive them in the first shipments available - that's what I did.

Hi Charlie,
I agree with your thoughts on a heavy for caliber bullet but in my case, my barrel is a 1:10 twist so I don't think it will stabilize anything longer than the 150. It shoots regular 160gr Accubonds perfectly, but the 168's are longer.

Frank

Ingwe":1zu5fe4n said:
I am dying to load them up for my rifle! Any ideas when and who will get them first? :?:

Thanks Frank

Welcome to the forum.
The 7mm 150 gr ABLR were just run. Final inspection and packaging needs to be done yet.
You should start seeing them in about 2 weeks.

The 6.5mm 129 gr ABLR is currently being run.

JD338

Thanks JD!

Am I correct to assume that the 168's will be too long for my 1:10 twist??

Ingwe,

You didn't mention the cartridge, but it looks like you might be okay at 5000 ft or above, assuming 2700 fps minimum. According to the Berger twist calculator with those numbers (and at 59 degrees F), the twist factor is 1.41. The Berger calculator says 1.5 twist factor is good for "comfortable" stability, and from 1.0 to 1.4 is "marginal" stability. I didn't run the numbers through the JBM calculator, as I prefer the Berger calculator's simplicity.

At sea level and 0 degrees looks like it would fall apart and you'd need more like 5500 fps to stabilize in a 10-twist barrel.

However, "marginal" stability might be fine. Pretty much all 25 cal bullets have "marginal" stability in a 10-twist 25 cal barrel. Even the 120-grain 25 cal Partition, not a particularly long bullet, says it has marginal stability at 2900 fps, 0 degrees, at sea level.

You might also consider putting a patched jag with a rotating cleaning rod through your barrel and count the rotations. Your barrel may be faster or slower than actual 10-twist, and could make a difference. But you probably knew that already.

v/r
Joel

jason miller":2b3sh9s2 said:
Dollars to doughnuts it's a 7x57.

Well, I don't think anyone is getting 5500 fps out of a 7x57.

But if he were shooting at, say, Montana elevations, he might be fine...

If it shoots the standard Accubonds accurately, I would test it before writing the ABLR off for your rifle. The pictures of this ABLR bullet do not seem to have a long bearing surface?

I am not sure what the twist is on my 7mm WSM, Model 70, but it is handling the 168's just fine. I would give the 168's a try though, before writing it completely off. Either way, the 150 or 168 should be excellent in your 7mm. I had a hard time messing with my 7mm WSM, as it shoots the 160 AB's really well, but I couldn't resist trying one more load!

SJB358":15muw0d1 said:
I am not sure what the twist is on my 7mm WSM, Model 70, but it is handling the 168's just fine. I would give the 168's a try though, before writing it completely off. Either way, the 150 or 168 should be excellent in your 7mm. I had a hard time messing with my 7mm WSM, as it shoots the 160 AB's really well, but I couldn't resist trying one more load!

Can't speak to your 7WSM, Scotty, but mine is a ten twist. It handles 175 grain bullets quite well. I have used 160 grain ABs since I first got it, however.

Nosler has designed all there hunting bullets for standard twists. 7mm std twist is usually 1:9 so I'm not positive about a 1:10 twist. I think you will be fine if the velocity is above 3000 fps.

I will try to confirm.

JD338

DrMike":2242u83r said:
SJB358":2242u83r said:

Can't speak to your 7WSM, Scotty, but mine is a ten twist. It handles 175 grain bullets quite well. I have used 160 grain ABs since I first got it, however.

I would imagine mine is the same as yours. Mine did fine with 175 PT's and Hornady Interlocks, but I am sure those 175 ABLR's are pretty long needles.

I think Remington used a 1-9.25 or 9.5 for there 7mm's.. Either way, the 168 ABLR's are shooting fine in my WSM, so I am likely going to stick with them for a little while. I have a great back up load with the 160 AB's if they won't come around.

Just peeked at Winchester's site, they are using 1-9.5" twist's on there 7mm Rem and WSM.. The 175's might work....

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/ ... mid=535110

Yeah, my newest .280 is a 9.5 twist. I would have preferred that Winchester made their 7mm tubes 9.5, but it is what it is, and they work quite well.

Consequently, I was wrong on the twist on my 7WSM--it is 9.5 twist. The 7RM (Winchester) is 10 twist, as is the Winchester .280. I'm not certain of the twist on the Mauser. I'll check it when I get home this afternoon.

Thanks for you're help fellas!

Here's a bit more info on my situation:

As I said before I am shooting a 7mm Rem Mag with a 26" Hart Barrel with 1:10 Twist.

It shoots 160gr Accubonds/Origional at average 3056fps below 1/2MOA if I don't screw-up.

I had some 160gr Trophy Bonded Tipped Bullets on hand and tried them at 2990fps however they were keyholing at 100yards.
The bullet length for the TBBC Tipped is 1.548 Run through the twist calculator the SG is 1.26

My awesome shooting 160gr Accubonds are 1.410 long with SG of 1.39

So my Bullets are stable at 1.410" and become unstable at some point before or at 1.458
I am assuming.

The new 150gr ABLR is 1.380" so it will be fine in my gun and will probably shoot at +or - 3,100fps my guess is...

The new 168gr ABLR is 1.490" so it is back into the unstable range?? with a SG of 1.24

I would like to hear you're opinions on my options, since you fellas seem way more knowledgeable than I am, but unless I am missing something, I think that my choices are:

1) Stay with the 160gr AccuBond/Origional at 3,056fps

2) Load the 150gr AccuBond LR +or- 3,100fps

3) Re-barrel the dam gun with a 1:9 twist...no funds for this right now!!

Performance wise, even though they are 10gr's lighter, the new 150gr ABLR's are allot more efficient than the 160gr AccuBond/Origionals....what are your thoughts on this??

BTW I killed a TON of game with the 160gr AccuBond in Africa, ranging from a 10lb Dassie to a 2,000lb Eland Bull. Also a Leopard, 3 Zebra and a Wildebeest. One bullet penetrated approx. 36" of Zebra and was a perfect mushroom just like in the Nosler ad's. I have the bullet and a picture to prove it!

I seriously think that the AccuBond is the best all around game bullet!

Ingwe":1490xxy0 said:
Thanks for you're help fellas!

Here's a bit more info on my situation:

As I said before I am shooting a 7mm Rem Mag with a 26" Hart Barrel with 1:10 Twist.

It shoots 160gr Accubonds/Origional at average 3056fps below 1/2MOA if I don't screw-up.

I had some 160gr Trophy Bonded Tipped Bullets on hand and tried them at 2990fps however they were keyholing at 100yards.
The bullet length for the TBBC Tipped is 1.548 Run through the twist calculator the SG is 1.26

My awesome shooting 160gr Accubonds are 1.410 long with SG of 1.39

So my Bullets are stable at 1.410" and become unstable at some point before or at 1.458
I am assuming.

The new 150gr ABLR is 1.380" so it will be fine in my gun and will probably shoot at +or - 3,100fps my guess is...

The new 168gr ABLR is 1.490" so it is back into the unstable range?? with a SG of 1.24

I would like to hear you're opinions on my options, since you fellas seem way more knowledgeable than I am, but unless I am missing something, I think that my choices are:

1) Stay with the 160gr AccuBond/Origional at 3,056fps

2) Load the 150gr AccuBond LR +or- 3,100fps

3) Re-barrel the dam gun with a 1:9 twist...no funds for this right now!!

Performance wise, even though they are 10gr's lighter, the new 150gr ABLR's are allot more efficient than the 160gr AccuBond/Origionals....what are your thoughts on this??

BTW I killed a TON of game with the 160gr AccuBond in Africa, ranging from a 10lb Dassie to a 2,000lb Eland Bull. Also a Leopard, 3 Zebra and a Wildebeest. One bullet penetrated approx. 36" of Zebra and was a perfect mushroom just like in the Nosler ad's. I have the bullet and a picture to prove it!

I seriously think that the AccuBond is the best all around game bullet!

With the track record of the 160 AB, I had a hard time goofing around with the 168, but couldn't resist the urge when a friend dropped a 100 of them off to me. If I had not had ever gotten them, I would have stuck with the 160 AB in my 7mm WSM forever. Accurate as all get out and the BC isn't horrible either. I don't think either the 150 or 168 ABLR is going to be the penetrator the regular AB is though. While, it surely looks good enough, of the 150 ABLR's I ran into jugs from the 270WSM at 3140, they weight around 50 grains retained. Good solid mushroom, but not alot of bullet left to penetrate if your talking heavy hide/bone. So, up close, I would guess you are looking at 30-40% weight retention and a whole lot of killing, further out, they will probably tend to hold up a whole lot better.

Being as I won't be shooting at animals past 600 yards, I really don't lose a ton sticking with the 160 AB's in my gun. Now, if you are pushing out past that mark, then I think the ABLR's will begin to shine with their increased BC.

Just my thoughts, but if that is a 1/2 MOA rifle, that has that kinda track record, it would be pretty tough to switch, but, I am sure the experimenting bug is in you just as bad as most of us, so saying that, the 150 ABLR does look like the best option for ya. It should scream outta your 26" barrel..

Great to have you aboard and pictures are always pretty cool around here!

SJB,

You make good sense to stay with the 160's.
I am wondering though why you say that the ABLR's will NOT be the penetrators that the Accubonds are?? I thought that they are made just the same, only re-shaped for better BC?? That would definitely factor into the mix and I totally agree with shooting game past 600yds...no wind no problem but add wind and all bets are off for me anyway.

Another thing to think about is...Will Nosler continue to make the AccuBond/Origional now that the ABLR is out?? Any word on this???

Back