7mm 168 LRAB They're Here!!!

bullet":2vbauzi0 said:
JD338":2vbauzi0 said:
Ingwe":2vbauzi0 said:
Is there any published load data for the 7mm Rem Mag 168gr ABLR yet??

Not yet.
Less bearing surface than the 160 gr AB so you should be able to use starting load data.

JD338

Less bearing surface, longer bullet, good BC, but will be harder to find accuracy with, won't be as forgiving, smaller sweet spot to find, but once found should be a real advantage on long shots when it comes to terminal results. Like I said, can't wait to see how they do.

Mike, I don't agree with you there actually. At least from my experience with the regular AB's and working with two of the new ABLR's. I have found a pretty wide seating area, which is very similar to the regular AB's. They have seemed to shoot decent up close, but much more consistent and tighter as they are backed off.

I sorta thought the same as you when I first started working with them, but I have found the .060" to be a good place to start which seems to be about where the regular AB's have started to shine in my rifles.

Again, I am not arguing with you, but I have found these two (.277 150 and the .284 168) to be relatively easy so far.

Maybe I am all turned around, but I was very pleasantly surprised with the first two.

SJB358":2kddc1ul said:
bullet":2kddc1ul said:
JD338":2kddc1ul said:
Ingwe":2kddc1ul said:
Is there any published load data for the 7mm Rem Mag 168gr ABLR yet??

Not yet.
Less bearing surface than the 160 gr AB so you should be able to use starting load data.

JD338

Less bearing surface, longer bullet, good BC, but will be harder to find accuracy with, won't be as forgiving, smaller sweet spot to find, but once found should be a real advantage on long shots when it comes to terminal results. Like I said, can't wait to see how they do.

Mike, I don't agree with you there actually. At least from my experience with the regular AB's and working with two of the new ABLR's. I have found a pretty wide seating area, which is very similar to the regular AB's. They have seemed to shoot decent up close, but much more consistent and tighter as they are backed off.

I sorta thought the same as you when I first started working with them, but I have found the .060" to be a good place to start which seems to be about where the regular AB's have started to shine in my rifles.

Again, I am not arguing with you, but I have found these two (.277 150 and the .284 168) to be relatively easy so far.

Maybe I am all turned around, but I was very pleasantly surprised with the first two.

Well frankly, that is good news and very exciting indeed. I think I need to try and find some of the .284 150gr ABLR's soon and test them against my .284 160gr Speer SPBT moving 2800fps. Thanks for the experience, it always trumps theory. :mrgreen:

Well, I have got Midway to notify me when they get some .284 150gr ABLR bullets in. I got to check this out if they are that easy to find a load with. I hope so because Berger's weren't easy. :mrgreen:

Ingwe":1x49y9aa said:
Does anyone have them yet??

Will Nosler publish load data soon?

I don't need load data, just the bullets would make me happy. I have already calculated my approach with powders, brass, primers and seating depth to begin with, I just need bullets. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I haven't started load development yet for the 168s in my 280AI

I would really like to have some published data from Nosler on them..
I have 160 and 175 data and could probably just split the difference but would much prefer tested data. Nosler's data is already running higher charges than the powder manufacturers..

3000 + fps with a 168 gr bullet is very impressive, especially with a slug like the ABLR

I want to experiment with my 7mm08 and the 150gr ABLR. If I can get the velocities I did with the 150gr AccuBond in my 7mm08 and with a BC of .611 and opening up at distance to enhance the terminal effect. Having a zero of 240yds and with my LR Duplex here is the result. Impressive for a 7mm08 with a 24" barrel and a 150gr bullet. Yep, I will be waiting for these to come out.

file_zpsd4800732.jpg

bullet":15qibnei said:
Well frankly, that is good news and very exciting indeed. I think I need to try and find some of the .284 150gr ABLR's soon and test them against my .284 160gr Speer SPBT moving 2800fps. Thanks for the experience, it always trumps theory. :mrgreen:

Mike, I can't comment much on the Berger's, only messed with a few of them in my 264 Win Mag and stuck with BT's and AB's.

I will say this though, they do have a very small bearing surface, compared to AB's and BT's, so bullet weight to bullet weight, the ABLR's will be faster. Again, this is my limited time with two of the new ones, and with what Brian did with the 210 ABLR in his Ultra Mag. All of them are running faster than their AB/BT counterparts of lesser weight.

Accuracy seems to be decent right outta the gates, seated up close and only getting better as they are sunk back. Give a look at the 270/150 ABLR thread that Pre64Hornet did with his 270 Winchester. He basically seated to a little less than mag length and started shooting. It looked very promising and the speeds they are getting out of plain jane 270 Winchester's with 150's and no issues with pressures is telling me something great about the new bullets.

gerry":2f4d6ypi said:
3000 + fps with a 168 gr bullet is very impressive, especially with a slug like the ABLR

Gerry, I am getting 3100 with the 7mm WSM and RL25. From my eye's and feel of the gun, PSI's feel less than my load with RL22 and 160 AB's running close to the same speed. I haven't mic'ed the cases, but I have a good feeling about the load. There is another board member with a 26" barreled 7mm Rem Mag, using RL33 and the 168 ABLR that is getting about another 100FPS on me, with no issues. I know there is no magic involved, but they are moving pretty quick, at least quicker than I thought.

I think it's a little fast, but I know it's a traditional favorite. If its accurate, speed won't matter that much. I tend to run slower powders like RL22, 25, H1000, but I know alot of folks have great results with 4350.

Thanks for the response! I should have added that my rifle is a M70 with a 26" Hart barrel.

I have a few pounds of IMR 4350 on hand but I will buy whichever the most efficient powder is.

Maybe I should wait for Nosler to publish load data for 168gr ABLR's??

Ingwe":y5ze5og4 said:
Thanks for the response! I should have added that my rifle is a M70 with a 26" Hart barrel.

I have a few pounds of IMR 4350 on hand but I will buy whichever the most efficient powder is.

I would try RL 22 in your 7mm RM.
It should get you where you want to be.

JD338

Ingwe":3n8rwx5o said:

I think using any 160 data and starting from the low side will be fine. It'll be interesting to see what Nosler runs with the 168's. Sometimes we think alike, sometimes we are pretty far apart! :lol:

RL22, H4831, RL25, and just about any other powder in that burn rate should be great. If you have 4350, and it works in your rifle, I can't see being disappointed. It just might not be as fast as you could get, but maybe it stacks em!

I can't believe I waited 5 hours and they were already sold out. I didn't make the same mistake when the 150g 7mm bullets arrived! (And props to midwayusa. I did the order on my iPhone and the interface was great. I normally hate doing anything on mobile, but their process was pretty decent. Two thumbs up.)

When I first started down the 7STW project to leverage the 168g LRAB, I'd sort of discounted the 150g. But now in looking at what's possible, a .611 BC Bullet at 3300fps, it's pretty sick. It's going to be an absolute beast for open country antelope and deer. If it won't group, I'll probably just move it down to the 7RM or 7MM08 and wait for the 168s to show up... But man, if I have to wait for December, I'm going to cry!

Az,
I ran the numbers on a ballistic calculator for the 7mm 168gr (2900fps) and the 150gr ABLR (3100fps) and they were very similar in energy and wind drift values. I figured I'd go with the faster one, as the extra 200fps makes it shoot a little bit flatter. I know I'm giving up some SD over the longer 168, but I'm only 0.05 under the SD for a 180gr 30 caliber bullet which has long been the gold standard for penetration. Also, I've never seen an AB fail to penetrate deeply, even if it is a little light for caliber, which in the grand scheme of things the 150gr is not. Just my 0.02, as I had a long time to kick the numbers around on deployment. That said, Scotty and his 7WSM pushing the 168 at 3100fps sounds like good elk medicine to me!
Joe

Back