7mm 168 LRAB They're Here!!!

I have good quantities of h4350 and h4831 which I would prefer to use and some imr4350
That I can use. Nothing else I want to use for load work up right now(too valuable for the guns I already load for). Any ideas with those powders for my 7 mm stw and 168 gr accobond long range bullets? I have some rem brass and 215 primers to use- thanks

Another thought...

I have 150 or so once-fired brass from my 7mm Rem Mag, but since I am going to have it re-barreled, I assume that it isn't really fire-formed any longer since it is once-fired from a different barrel...is this correct? If so, do I need to fire them through the new barrel to fire-form them to the new barrel before I begin working up a load for it?

I guess what I'm asking is if you load an identical load into a fire-formed case AND into a new/unfired case, will they/should they have the same velocity and point of impact?

Ingwe, I think the right answer is, it depends. If your rifle has a tighter chamber and factory brass fits pretty tightly, you'll likely result in very close speeds. If your chamber is pretty large and really allows that case to stretch, then I think you'll have different speeds. Again, this is just my experience. My 7 Rem Mag blows the cases out pretty good, while the 7mm WSM tends to shoot the same.

Sorry for the muddy answer.

Firebird":2wmz75xi said:
I got three boxes of 168 gr in .284, now wishing I had 175 since I'm loading them for my stw, and I'm a recipe follower when I load my own, don't trust myself without some guidelines. . .will tinker with the 168's when the loads get published, glad I have some different powders saved up too

Welcome to the forum, glad you are here.
The 168 gr ABLR should be a good one in the 7 STW.

JD338

SJB358":20wser5x said:
Ingwe, I think the right answer is, it depends. If your rifle has a tighter chamber and factory brass fits pretty tightly, you'll likely result in very close speeds. If your chamber is pretty large and really allows that case to stretch, then I think you'll have different speeds. Again, this is just my experience. My 7 Rem Mag blows the cases out pretty good, while the 7mm WSM tends to shoot the same.

So I am quickly finding out that there are very few absolutes in Handloading.

I guess that I can also have the gunsmith make a cast of my new chamber and set up my dies to match as close as possible?

Ingwe":2qkbmrbm said:
SJB358":2qkbmrbm said:

So I am quickly finding out that there are very few absolutes in Handloading.

I guess that I can also have the gunsmith make a cast of my new chamber and set up my dies to match as close as possible?

Maybe, but I don't think it's completely necessary. If you don't mind going thru the first firing, I wouldn't worry too much.

Yeah, seems absolutes are few, but for the old 7, I can't imagine you'll have much trouble making it shoot. Especially with the new tube.

Back