7mm AB

nvbroncrider

Handloader
Aug 20, 2011
After reading time after time about people asking for a 175 AB in 7mm in the 2012 Bullet List thread a few weeks back I got a little bored and did some research! Everyone was saying that an AB would be too long to stabilize, but isn't the standard twist in 7mm 1-9"?

Looking at Bergers info on there VLD Bullets I noticed a few things that stood out and got me thinking. The 140 Berger VLD has an SD of .248 OAL of 1.286. The 140 AB has an SD of .248 and a OAL of 1.290. Then I looked at the 168 VLD against the 160 AB and they again compared very favorably with the OAL of 1.445 vs 1.41 for the AB. Then I looked at the 180 VLD and it had a OAL of 1.525. All of these bullets will stabilize in a 1-9" twist barrel and I think it would be possible to put a 175AB together with a .600 BC at about 1.490-1.500 OAL very similar to a 200 gr .30 cal AB? Just thought I'd share my ideas and see what everyone else thought!!

http://www.bergerbullets.com/Quick%20Re ... -28-11.pdf

with the exception of the 7 rum, (which is produced very sparingly) how many 7mm's could benefit from a 175 over a 160?
Haven't crunched the numbers yet but I'm thinking the 160 would be right even or ahead of the 175 at 600 yards in a 7 RM, mainly because of the 200 fps muzzle velocity advantage over the 175.
Those familuar with high BC ballistics know that high BC's really help you out beyond 700 yards but you gotta have the horsepower to get them there.
RR

...guess it depend on how you define "benefit"...

...all my manuals show the 160gr. @ 100fps or less than the 175gr. Since I've been shooting a 7mmRM for about 35yrs. I've spent more time & reloads considering "ballistics" than a "normal person". In general, comparing similar bullets, the 175gr. drops about an inch more @ 400-500yds., has 2-4" less wind drift, & delivers 10-15% more energy. Under 300yds. the differences are moot...

IMHO, the 7mm 160 gr AB is all the bullet you need for serious long range on game performance.

JD338

I think the "Best of the west" folks are shooting 180gr 7mm Berger bullets with a BC around .650. They are considered the experts in long range shooting these days.

wildgene":c88g796t said:
...guess it depend on how you define "benefit"...

...all my manuals show the 160gr. @ 100fps or less than the 175gr. Since I've been shooting a 7mmRM for about 35yrs. I've spent more time & reloads considering "ballistics" than a "normal person". In general, comparing similar bullets, the 175gr. drops about an inch more @ 400-500yds., has 2-4" less wind drift, & delivers 10-15% more energy. Under 300yds. the differences are moot...

Even at 600 yds.
The average can't hold the difference at that range, in the field.

When I started shooting the 7mm Rem Mag in 1963, about a year after its release to market, I wanted a round that could push a .400+ BC Partition, of at least 160 grains, at approx. 3000 fps and would only lose about 200 fps velocity, for each 100 yards flown, through the first 400 yards of flight.

The 7mm Rm Mag round has never disappointed me in that respect and still does the same things with the same outcomes that it did in 1962.

Well after thinking what you guys said about it and looking at more numbers you guys are right. I guess the 175 PT will work for anything up close and hairy. But maybe we will get a 120AB for all of those 7-08 shooters out there?

nvbroncrider":3aezjad1 said:
Well after thinking what you guys said about it and looking at more numbers you guys are right. I guess the 175 PT will work for anything up close and hairy. But maybe we will get a 120AB for all of those 7-08 shooters out there?

Now your talking! That 175gr PT does sport a .519 BC. That 120 AB would be a cool one too! Scotty

In my 7mm-08 with my 24" barrel I am getting real close to being 2800fps with a 162gr hornady interlock. You can imagine a 7mm Rem Mag or 7mm Ultra mag with a 160gr bullet especially the 160gr AccuBond.

The 160 AB outta my 7WSM at 3100 seems to be an awesome load. I still think a 175 PT would be the ultimate overall hunting bullet at 2900 or so. Scotty

I've taken several deer beyond 1000 yards with a 160 AB, until I want to break the 1 mile mark, I do not need anything else.
RR

I just looked at Berger's site via nvbroncrider's link and was really surprised to note that the range of bullet weights in 7mm covered a paltry 12 grains compared to the vast array of bullet weights in .308 spanning 120 grains, or over twice the weight of the lowest weight offering in that caliber.

Not many different 7mm cartridges in the target/match categories I guess?

atm

atmoshpere":3ud33kp9 said:
I just looked at Berger's site via nvbroncrider's link and was really surprised to note that the range of bullet weights in 7mm covered a paltry 12 grains compared to the vast array of bullet weights in .308 spanning 120 grains, or over twice the weight of the lowest weight offering in that caliber.

Not many different 7mm cartridges in the target/match categories I guess?

atm
ya missed the 140 gr. vld hunting bullet
RR

I don't like the Barnes for long distance and don't like the Berger VLD's for short shots, just give me an AccuBond.

I would be more interested in a 175gr Ballistic tip.
At 175 grains, the lower velocity and higher sectional density would remove the need for a bonded bullet. In my experience, BT's are probably the most accurate hunting bullet made. This would give us an extremely accurate, high BC, high SD, purpose made hunting bullet for those of us that like to kill things in the distance.

You mean to tell me that the 160 AccuBond isn't the only bullet made for 7mm! :grin: Actually I'm planning to load up some 175 partitions in anticipation of elk hunting in 2012. A 175 AccuBond would be a good bullet because I like the plastic tips, they don't get beat up too bad in the magazine. A little extra B.C. doesn't hurt either. A 175 AccuBond with a BC of around .560 or so shot out of my 7mm Rem mag at around 3000 fps would be a hammer.

Offer more options to make more money!!! In America we like "options" it gives us a sense of satisifaction.

bullet":1qw2z9j2 said:
I don't like the Barnes for long distance and don't like the Berger VLD's for short shots, just give me an AccuBond.
Amen!
Barnes does not appear to transfer hydrostatic shock like a BT, Although they are very accurate (my family has harvested several deer and a dozen elk with them). Berger bullets and Barnes work as advertised Barnes hold together and shoot straight, Berger.... a small gernade and very accurate, lots of your elk vaporized. Considering I like eating elk I believe you will have to look long and hard to beat the AccuBond.
AccuBond's shoot very good groups out of every rifle I own and have a good combination of weight retention and hydrostatic shock delivered.
I will say that if a Partition shot like a AccuBond I would never use anything else, partitions performance has always been DRT (dead right there). CW

Back