7mm Accubond Recovered

jdmason480

Beginner
Jul 23, 2005
Just got back from a Northern NM cow elk hunt on the Vermejo Park ranch. Took a nice mature cow with a 7MM STW and had the rare occurrence of recovering the bullet.

160gr 7mm AccuBond
80gr H1000
3255fps chrono measured

Shot was 440 yards (laser measured) with the animal slightly elevated and quartered slightly away. Impact was behind left shoulder hitting a rib, taking out left lung. Passed up through to the neck where it was recovered under the skin.

AccubondElk2007.jpg

Now weighs 108.4 grains.

jdmanson480
It's almost impossible to beat the AccuBond in pure perfection. If ever there was a bullet that acted more like it had a proximity fuse on it set for vital organs I'm unaware of it. 68% weight retention is excellent with that delivery of energy and great penetration too. Great shot and a nice animal too. Thanks for sharing the fun.
Good hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

Hey Greg. You're right about the Accubonds. I must admit that I was a little worried after the shot and during field dressing. I thought that she was broadside. The left lung was lacerated goo, the right lung was pink and perfect, and there was no sign of an exit wound. "Did the bullet explode on impact like I have had happen with BT's?", I thought. I should have had more faith after all of my great experiences with this bullet.

She dressed out at a quartered weight of 239lbs and I have 123lbs of delicious free range New Mexican elk to live off of this next year. Combine that with the glorious country and camaraderie, and you have a trip to remember.

Happy holidays to you and yours.

I agree with you about the AccuBond! Like you, I had the opportunity to take a cow in December, but in Utah. Mine was a younger cow shot at 293 yards - with my .270 WSM, 140 gr AB...the bullet passed through her. I tried for a high shoulder shot but was about 3 inches lower than where I wanted to hit. The bullet hit both lungs and the top of the heart. I have taken several elk with this bullet and my wife has taken two oryx. My niece shot a cow on a December elk hunt here in NM with a .25-06, 110 gr AB. We recovered the bullet and it had a 68% wt. retention. I had her keep her shot range under 200 yds and ended up shooting hers at 125 yds.

Great bullet, and congrats to you. Sounds like you'll have fine table fare this winter.

jdmason480

Congratulations on your elk. Good shooting on the 1/4 mile shot too.
The 160 gr AB looks like a picture perfect mushroom. Thanks for the report and the picture of the recovered bullet.

JD338

JD338":mz986yhn said:
jdmason480

Congratulations on your elk. Good shooting on the 1/4 mile shot too.
The 160 gr AB looks like a picture perfect mushroom. Thanks for the report and the picture of the recovered bullet.

JD338

Perfectly said. THank you!

JD338 & POP--You're very welcome. I appreciate the site that helped me develop a cartridge that I could shoot at 440 yds responsibly and with confidence.

high desert elk--Sounds like you too have a freezer full. Congrats to you as well. Always like to hear from fellow New Mexicans. I live in Arizona now, but do much of my hunting in NM. Vermejo Park in Unit 55A is an elk hunters dream. Lots of canyons and fingers most of which have elk in them. There is getting to be a few too many bison in there if you ask me. We probably saw two thousand head.

After my hunt, I hunted a bull with a buddy in between Folsum and Capulin. Saw more deer than I have seen in ages in NM. Lots of turkey and antelope too. It took four days but he took a small 5X5 with the clock ticking on the end of his hunt.

jdmadson480.....................while I do not shoot any 7mm at present, I have used the Accubonds a bit on other calibers and, like you, have been very pleased with the accuracy and their field performance. To date I have used them on elk, a few deer, black bear, a few caribou and moose.
No surprises, just great terminal performance.

New Mexico.............hope to get down there hunting elk one of these days myself. I can hunt elk at home of course, but have been through NM a few times and it is a beautiful state. Would like to experience an elk hunt there at some point...............it's not like you can ever get too much elk hunting.

Recovered one of the bullets from my wife's cow elk she got yesterday. (same field she got her bull moose in last season) She took two shots between 125-150 metres. First one was a double lung pass thru- the cow was trying to run with the rest but was going way behind going slow, I chirped the goup of cows stopped with the wounded cow stopping also just behind the last elk and my wife fired again- just back a bit but took out the liver and ribs -and the cow flopped over backwards. Found the bullet in the hide. Cow elk was taken with my 270WSM with 140gr AccuBond reloads. The recovered bullet weighed 102grains - 72.9% retained- great expansion. My brotherinlaw took his cow elk the week before with a 1 shot kill with my wife's rifle ( 270SM with factory WS 140 Accubonds) My wife got bragging rights as her cow was quite a bit larger than her brother's :grin: so I think we will here about it all Christmas, and her dad missed his a couple weeks ago with his 7mm with 160gr AB's. Now he wants to use one of the 270WSM's thinking thats the ticket.

I use the same Accubonds in 180gr in my 300WM. I'm reallly impressed with the 270WSM and this bullet combo since we bought the rifles in the 2004 hunting season. Taking a few elk, deer, moose, bears and the odd coyote.

I'll post pic of recovered bullet later.

Hopefully a buddy can connect on his cow elk before the season ends with my 270WSM as his scope on his rifle is way out from moose camp. Thats what you get for using low end optics - cant take the elements/abuse.

Back