7mm mag reloading

I'm mounting a new scope on my 7MM Mag barrel for my encore and and load some 160 gr Accubonds and Partitions and start breakin' in the barrel in the next couple weeks.

Never used any bullet other than 160 Part. in my 7mm RM Ruger 1 with 80.0 gr. H870 for years. My Ruger was rebarreled for the 7mm RUM & I now use the 160 AB & H50BMG powder; excellent shooter.
In my brother-in-law's 7mm RM I load him the 160 AB but with H1000. Velocity is just over 3000 ft. per second & will shoot just under an inch.

I am with the others, RL22 and 160's is pretty awesome..

Sounds like he could do well, with some 7-08/280 type loads though. He won't ever know the speed and it'll likely kill just as well as a 7mag load. Loaded light enough, I bet he would overcome his flinch..

I built a load for my brother's 7mm Rem. Mag, I call it the "7 'aught 25".... because it runs a 120 NBT at 3300 using RE17... and recoil is about like a .25-06. He uses it when he's hunting coyotes, or his wife is shooting/hunting with him.... it absolutely flattens coyotes (and deer/black bears/elk/etc.).

Once I get around to it, I'll build a similar load for my 7RM LR hunting stick....

Roadtoad is right about the reduced loads from Hodgdon. They list a couple for the 7mmRemMag:

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895%20Redu ... 0Loads.pdf

They don't list anything heavier than the 130gr bullet, but if he's recoil shy, 120-130gr is likely the best place to start. Might also advise him to wear earplugs and muffs for added noise protection. Noise is a huge flinch inducer, in my experience. I always double new shooters up when they shift to centerfire. And have him try shooting with both eyes open. Also, load it up for him with a dummy round in the magazine sometimes - you could make up a couple with just a sized case and a bullet, but no primer/powder, and slip them in for him randomly. He'll begin to see the flinch and that may help. Also, encourage him to dry fire that particular rifle a lot - like maybe 10,000 times in front of the TV or something. Just make sure it's unloaded before he tries that!

Back