7mm mag scope for hunting?

beakmaster

Beginner
Jun 2, 2005
I have a model 70 CRF classic that I had all tricked out.Currently I have a leupold VX-II 3x9 on it.However I have a leupold Varix-III in 6.5x20 new in the box and don't know if that would be too much for Deer hunting in tionesta P.A.were our camp is.I would like some opinions from more experinced hunters.

I grew up in PA and you can very easily find yourself in the PA jungle (mountain laurel over 8 feet high and visibility limited to a few feet) in the mountains or sitting over a soybean or corn field that streches for miles. I found the best scope for hunting the mixed terrian of PA with just one rifle is a 3-9 variable. The 3x works great for the thick stuff or when taking part in deer drives and the 9x is great for telling if a deer has legal antlers at the longer ranges in the farm lands. I'd practice with your rifle on the offseason shooting groundhogs at long range. It really helps when it comes time for deer season, good luck.

Brad

beakmaster":13nmn5di said:
I have a model 70 CRF classic that I had all tricked out.Currently I have a leupold VX-II 3x9 on it.However I have a leupold Varix-III in 6.5x20 new in the box and don't know if that would be too much for Deer hunting in tionesta P.A.were our camp is.I would like some opinions from more experinced hunters.

What caliber?

beakmaster,

Your 3x9 scope is more than enough for deer hunting in PA. Depending on caliber and your abilities, you "might" be pushing the limits of your scope in the 400-600 yard ranges.
You "could" upgrade your current scope to a VX III 3.5x10 or just get a varmit rifle (22-250) for your 6.5x20 and play sniper on the local groundhogs. This will help you to learn about doping the wind.

Regards,

JD338

I just got a Burris 3x12x44 and it is a great scope! Plently of low magnifacation but can still zoom in pretty good!

I use the Leupold quick release bases & rings on my rig and have a Burris 3-9X40 Ballistic plex that I use for hunting and a Simmons Whitetail Classic in 6.5-20X50 W/AO that I use for range work.

I simply change out the scope whenever the need arises and the point of impact for each scope has never changed no matter how often I've switched scopes.

I hunt the mountians of NW Arkansas where shots will never be in excess of 300 Yds, so the 3-9X40 is all the scope I will ever need for hunting.

Don't know if you would ever need your 6.5x20 for hunting, but is sure is nice to have the option provided by the quick release rings & bases.

firstshot
-------------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

I have a VXIII 2.5x8 on mine & have no trouble connecting out to 400yds. I think your 3x-9x is fine.

You can't go wrong with anything mentioned. I have a Vari-XII 4X12X40 on my STW and a Weaver 2X10X38 on the Rem Mag. Either will work from PA to the prairie. For whatever reason, I seem to prefer the Weaver.

Hope that helps,
jd

I use a 6.5x20x40 Leupold w/target turrets on a 7mm Ultra Mag for hunting in an area where shots are almost certain to be very long and it works fine. Understand you will need a laser rangefinder and a good ballistics program to take advantage of it. That said, I can't imagine a normal hunting situation where the 3x9 wouldn't be a better choice.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but 3x9 is all the scope you should need for deer, especially in the woods.

beakmaster,

I think the Vari-X II was made for the 7MM Rem Mag. It is more than enough for hunting anything.

I hunt with a lot of guys who use a 7MM Rem Mag. While all have different scopes, the fact of the matter is anything from 1.75x6 up to about 4x12 will work well. If I bought another scope for my 7MM Rem Mag, it would be either a 2.5x8 or 3x9.

Good shooting,

Tom

I have shot mule deer at over 400 yards using a Burris Fullfield (older style) in 3-9 without any problems seeing what I was shooting at. This was with my 7mm Rem Mag.

I now have a 3-10x40 Burris Siganture Select with the Ballistic Plex reticle. WOW! Very nice scope and I LOVE the reticle. It made a "longish" 378 yard shot at my cow elk this winter almost too easy. I definitely recommend the Ballistic Plex type of reticle if long range shooting is in the plans. Of course, you could go to a scope with the turrets that allow you to compensate for range easily if you are looking at shooting REALLY far, but I don't know that I will ever feel comfortable shooting any further than this Burris will let me.

You really don't need a 14-20x type of scope for big game hunting. I have never felt under scoped with a 3-9 under any conditions I would shoot an animal in.

Good luck and shoot straight!

Firehawk

Depends on what kinda hunting your mainly doing. I live out west in wheat field and sagebrush country. I have taken up the LR game so I use scopes with 4-14 or 6-18 variables. You cant hit what you cant see!! For shooting up and out to 500 yards, 9x is all you need.

Keep the 3-9 on that 7RemMag rifle. When using a variable scope for deer/elk, the low magnification should not be above 4X. Even in open country, one should walk with the scope set on the lowest magnification, as deer can roll out of cover from day beds very close and your only shot is more like a shotgun snapshot then a studied rifle shot. Magnification that is too high will impede your ability to get the close charging deer targeted. 6.5X is too high for that tasking. Carry the rifle on the lowest magnification for those close shots and when a distant deer/elk appears, you always have time to crank up the magnification as you get into position to make that longer shot. Any shot on a deer/elk that requires more then 9X probably should not be taken, save by experts who work very long and hard to prepare for such a shot.

Back