7mm rem mag 160 accubond load needed

eas02

Beginner
Nov 10, 2006
I have a model 70 featherweight and i want to build a load for it using 160gr accubonds and RL-22. What primers and powder weight did you use?? I had great luck with the 2506 load that was recomended to me on here using RL-22.

I have some CCI 250 magnum primers are they any good or should i go get some fed 215??

I recently had to work up new loads for my buddies 7mm Rem Mag since Nosler discontiued the Partition Gold line of bullets.

I tried regular Partitions and Accubonds in this rifle and found the Accubonds to be the most accurate.

I had good luck with up to 65 grains of RL 22 behind the 160 AccuBond. This is a maximum load and you should work up from below. It gave velocities of 3000 fps and groups of an even inch.

I had even better results with 70 grains of RL 25 and the 160 AccuBond. This gave 3100 fps and consistant groups under an inch, even in some darned windy conditions.
Again, work up from several grains below this.

I was very impressed with the performance of RL 25.

During October 2006 I ran several days of testing on the 7mm Rem. Mag. and the 160 grain AccuBond. Three powder were very good. H4831SC, RL-22, and H1000. I live in Central Oregon and stay with Hodgdon Extreme powder due to the colder climate during hunting season. Testing of loads were conducted in temperatures between 20-30 degrees. All three will yield groups at one inch and under. H4831 Sc was great but I was WAY over max. to get the velocity that I wanted. Still it showed no pressure signs, but still scared the hell out of me.

In warmer temperatures 63 grains of RL-22 gave great accuracy and speeds right at 3000 FPS.

With 72.5 grains H1000 with velocity 3100 FPS I shot the best three shot group ever for me. Three shots .156" at 100 yards. Within a week of shooting that group both my son and I had one shot kills on 6X6 bulls. Both went down like they fell thru a trapdoor.

The load for us was once fired R-P brass, Federal 215 magnum primers, 72.5 grains H1000, and 160 grain Nosler AccuBond.

As with all reloading start low and work up slowly. You might skip the sweet spot. Good luck.

Jerry
Bend, Oregon

Jerry- I worked up to 70g of H1000 before I ran into very high pressures. I was getting 3100fps and very stiff bolt lift and cratered primers at 70g's. Accuracy was about 1.25-1.5" at 100 yards. Nothing like your load. I had some H1000 laying around and seeing your load sparked me to do a little testing of my own. My results are very different from yours, but thats what makes this fun. What works for one, wont always work for another.

I worked up to 73g with Retumbo and was getting 3150fps and .8-1" groups at 100 yards. That was also pushing max load for sure...Not the greatest for accruacy either...

I had best luck with 61g RL-22 giving 2850-2900fps. Definately the slowest of the bunch, but also the most accurate by far. Shot .275" at 100 yards.

I might work up another little ladder with H1000 just to see if I can find the high node as I would really like to use H1000 instead of RL-22. I might end up using Retumbo two though...

I'll be interested in your ladder results. It is odd how rifles will vary. Both of our rifles are Brownings. One is a Medallion and the other is a BBR that I purchased in 1983. It has a much beefier bolt than the current A-bolts. Both are 26" barrels.

I had never used the ladder until the other day. I was playing with a .22-250 and H380 and Varget. Interesting indeed. Identical rifles shot well but each liked their own load. One 36 grains and the other 37. What was great in one was unacceptable in the other.

Jerry

Back