7mm rem mag velocity

used savage bought at gun show for $235.00 added a scope.
this is the second savage 7 mag that shot that good.

Heres one of my best 160 accbond 7mm Rem Mag Load. H-1000 at 3079 fps. I don't think Accubonds can shoot bad.

load_2.jpg

That's a sterling group, Bruce. That is certified bragging material.

That's awesome shooting boys,

I had a 7 Rem Mag years ago, Shot RL22 & IMR7828 Powder. The groups I would get were identical to the impressive ones posted. I always got tight 3-5 shot groups. There seems to be something about the 7mm Cal. being so accurate. Most people I know claim the same accuracy that own them.

I Re-barreled that gun to a 300 Ultra Mag which I currently own, Just wanted more Horsepower for Elk Hunting. At some point I may have another 7 mag. again.

Don

I like my 7RM but have really fallen head over heals over the newer 7WSM.. Talk about a great round, with alot of juice! It is accurate and fast. Now I see why people have said it is one of the best WSM's made. I am starting to agree with them.. Scotty

Scotty - all my 7mm experience has been with the older 7mm Rem mag, and it's all been positive. When the WSM's came out, I pretty much yawned and didn't pay attention for a couple of years. Then a fellow I know somewhat got a custom made 7mm WSM and started having tremendous success with it out to 1,000 yards - hunting.

That got my attention, and these days I do have a .300 WSM. Have gotten very interested in the WSM's the past few years. They're very easy to work with, and typically produce very good velocity & accuracy. No reason to throw out the "old" belted magnums, but if a guy was starting from scratch - well taking a hard look at the WSM's would be prudent.

Here's a link to a good article on the various 7's:

http://www.6mmbr.com/7mm284.html

And here's an article on Ric Horst and his 7mm WSM hunting rifle:

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek064.html

I think it's hard to beat a good 7mm as an all-around open-country hunting rifle. Seems to me that the various 7mm mags are pretty much perfect for a western deer/bear/elk rifle. Modest recoil, accuracy, flat trajectory, good in the wind, and heavy duty terminal performance.

Guy

Guy Miner":xbhmsq7b said:
Scotty - all my 7mm experience has been with the older 7mm Rem mag, and it's all been positive. When the WSM's came out, I pretty much yawned and didn't pay attention for a couple of years. Then a fellow I know somewhat got a custom made 7mm WSM and started having tremendous success with it out to 1,000 yards - hunting.

That got my attention, and these days I do have a .300 WSM. Have gotten very interested in the WSM's the past few years. They're very easy to work with, and typically produce very good velocity & accuracy. No reason to throw out the "old" belted magnums, but if a guy was starting from scratch - well taking a hard look at the WSM's would be prudent.

Here's a link to a good article on the various 7's:

http://www.6mmbr.com/7mm284.html

And here's an article on Ric Horst and his 7mm WSM hunting rifle:

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek064.html

I think it's hard to beat a good 7mm as an all-around open-country hunting rifle. Seems to me that the various 7mm mags are pretty much perfect for a western deer/bear/elk rifle. Modest recoil, accuracy, flat trajectory, good in the wind, and heavy duty terminal performance.Guy

I am with you Guy. I resisted getting a 7WSM for a long time as I have a 7RM M70 (first centerfire hunting rifle). It is currently on loan to a great buddy and so I have been left without a 7mm in my safe. When I had a chance to scoop up a 7WSM that is identical to my 270WSM, I took the chance and have not been disapointed in the least. It is accurate with almost nothing but a little trigger work done to it and just as fast with 160's and 175's as my 7RM was. I have no trouble getting 3000+ with 160's and danged near can get 2900's with 175's and Retumbo. I has really been a great performing rifle. Matter of fact, another one of our members here likes it enough to use it as an alternate on an upcoming elk hunt! Point is, just like you said, they load easily, shoot fast and are pretty danged accurate without alot of fuss. Not much to not like.

okie2":xbhmsq7b said:
But the 270 wsm and the 300 wsm are out saling them pretty bad

The 7WSM does have alot of competition in the 7mm class, but I am telling you, I am sold. It works well in a 24" tube, is a shorter cartridge, and thus makes the rifle a little more compact. I will also be getting a 300WSM in the near future. I really don't care if they aren't the most popular as handloading will be the absolute last thing I ever give up, so I am not scared of getting ammo. Plus, Winchester has just started chambering the 7WSM again, and since they are doing that, I have to assume they are planning on keeping it alive. It is really a great round. It could be my sons BIG GAME rifle when he is ready for one. Scotty

It could be my sons BIG GAME rifle when he is ready for one.

That would be a great first big game rifle for a young man. The 7mm WSM does perform well.

DrMike":20lu7v9p said:
It could be my sons BIG GAME rifle when he is ready for one.

That would be a great first big game rifle for a young man. The 7mm WSM does perform well.

I am trying to get him to do the research a little and tell me what he thinks the cartridge should be. I told him as long as Winchester chambers it he can get it! Scotty

I have never owned a 7 WSM rifle. I think that when Browning made the decision to stop chambering them in the Model 70, that pretty much was the least straw for that rifle for awhile. I am happy that Browning finally came to their senses and supported their own proprietary cartridge for the Model 70 at least. I always thought that the 7 WSM was the better cartridge of that WSM series, with no belt, a shorter action and more powder capacity than the 7mm Rem Mag, or any 7mm Mag but the Weatherby.

My personal issue is too many 7mm rifles. I have a custom Model 70, .270 Win; custom Mauser 7mm Rem Mag; A-Bolt, .280 Rem which I can nearly equal 7mm Mag ballistics with the 160 gr bullet. What to do, I think that I need fewer rifles and more diversity of cartridges?

Browning Model 70 ?

I'm confused... Winchester Model 70 is currently built in North Carolina by FN. Nothing to do with Browning.

Guy

Guy,

Browning and Winchester are both owned by FN. I believe it was a misstatement to state that Browning decided to cease making the Model 70, but FN was behind that decision.

Roger that. Got it. Had it.

Now, back to our 7mm discussion. My apologies for getting off track!

Sorry for the confusion, I use Browning and FN interchangeably, since they have been inextricably intertwined since 1958. Plus the plant is in Columbia, South Carolina as long as we are being sticklers for accuracy.

Back