7mm Rem Range Day

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
Finally got around to shoot some 160gr ABs and run my loads over the chronograph.
The weather was decent 39* F and slightly over cast.
H1000 in Nosler cases with Fed 215M primers OAL was 3.290" and some with RL22
I took some pictures of the targets and a primer that pierced on the shoulder with a mild load of RL 22 :evil: . The primers were seated into the case with a RCBS hand seater and the primer pockets had been uniformed. The federal primer had also been seated into a once fired federal case. The primer pocket might have been over chamfered at the factory since the primer had a slight beveled edge on the shoulder.
The H1000 loads were in Nosler cases and the RL22 in Federal.
If you look at the primer picture you can barely see the pierce at 5:00 on the primer.
All targets were shot thru the chronograph.
H1000 seemed to be the best powder but thought I should see some faster velocities from both.

Attachments

• KIMG0342.jpg
    KIMG0342.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,414
  • KIMG0341.jpg
    KIMG0341.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,414
  • KIMG0340.jpg
    KIMG0340.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,414
  • KIMG0339.jpg
    KIMG0339.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1,414
  • KIMG0336.jpg
    KIMG0336.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,414
Seat your 70.5 charge of H1000 deeper. That's a PERFECT load TD. No reason to monkey with anything else. Give them about .005" more and see what happens. 3000 plus with the 160 AB will kill elk and deer farther than most of us can hold. Great shooting. That right there is what a 7mm Rem Mag is all about.

I'm surprised you're not seeing 3,000 - 3,100 fps with the RL-22 loads. But one rifle barrel is different from another.

Some of your loads are showing good accuracy potential though, and I wouldn't turn down a 2950+ fps, 160 gr load. What critter will know the difference?

Guy

That's a good question Guy. I'm not turning down my top loads but was expecting more velocity since everyone post loads over 3000fps in the 7mmRem with 160gr bullets. Also with this being my first experience with one I don't know what to expect.
I had originally pillar bed the stock it's in for the 35Whelen/AI and had it in a B&C Medalist but I think I will leave it where it is since it seems to be happy in the stock.

It happens. Chambers differ in size. Barrels differ. Hard to say why one barrel develops 3,000 fps and the next one "only" 2900 fps.

So... See where you and your rifle are comfortable. When it's grouping well, at reasonable velocity, I'd be comfortable. And happy.

Regards, Guy

22 will give 3050-3100 pretty easily. Your lot will probably just take 67 grains or so. I've seen it do 3050 with 63 grains and as high as 67 grains for the same loads in the same rifle.

Saying that, I believe your H1000 load is where it's at TD. Great powder and that's very good accuracy across the board. I think you're a couple seating adjustments away from a great load that'll answer your mail for a great western load for everything.

SJB358":2jcek8fu said:
Seat your 70.5 charge of H1000 deeper. That's a PERFECT load TD. No reason to monkey with anything else. Give them about .005" more and see what happens. 3000 plus with the 160 AB will kill elk and deer farther than most of us can hold. Great shooting. That right there is what a 7mm Rem Mag is all about.

+1 Seat deeper it will come together. I hit best seating depth at 3.27 with 160AB in one gun and at 3.25 with different 7RM. But both liked the JUMP

H1000 is an old standard for 160 grain bullets in the 7RM. I worked up quite a few loads for others with that powder because it gave such good accuracy. Scotty has given you the straight skinny in suggesting playing with seating depth.

SJB358":giongdwq said:
22 will give 3050-3100 pretty easily. Your lot will probably just take 67 grains or so. I've seen it do 3050 with 63 grains and as high as 67 grains for the same loads in the same rifle.

Saying that, I believe your H1000 load is where it's at TD. Great powder and that's very good accuracy across the board. I think you're a couple seating adjustments away from a great load that'll answer your mail for a great western load for everything.
Yeah with all the good things I had read about RL22 I was rather disappointed when my starting load was 1gr above Nosler book max and close to 150fps slower. Maybe I got a slow lot of powder but do like the idea of a 160gr bullet at 3000fps to buck the wind and shoot flatter. I'm not worried about bullet performance on game since I know Noslers will get the job done and not break up on impact.

Scotty I measured the length to lands right after I got the rifle and will have to look in my reloading diary to see since I can't quote it off the top of my head. This is only the second time I have loaded anything for it or shot it. The 35 Whelen/AI has consumed the majority of my time :roll:

Thanks DrMike I will more than likely stick with it since I prefer accuracy over velocity. :grin:

Well, in my opinion you've got both with the 70.5 grain charge. I've seen it too many times to count when you start backing up the AccuBond it'll pull that 3rd shot in close to the others. Especially in a 7mm. It's pretty darned magical.

Again, the H1000 is your huckleberry, I like 22 a bunch but you've got magic right there TD.

I would agree with looking at the H 1000 load some more. Somewhere between 69.5 and 70.5 should work out well for you. Like has been suggested tweaking that 70.5 gr load may be all you need to do.

Roger,

I agree with the others, reshoot the 70.5 gr load and play with the seating depth.
Regardless of the speed, she is a shooter and will speak with authority.

JD338

Rodger , if I'm reading your notes correctly on the 7o.5 load , you have wrote 2 fed 1 nosler . I'd sure try using 3 matching brass before I tried to improve on this a hole bunch more , you might already have it . I wonder if the low hit is the one odd nosler brass ? I would for sure be trying to use this load , it shows great potential . if I were you I'd load this exact load with 3 matching brass cases and shoot it again .

jimbires":1yhd7xfo said:
Rodger , if I'm reading your notes correctly on the 70.5 load , you have wrote 2 fed 1 nosler . I'd sure try using 3 matching brass before I tried to improve on this a hole bunch more , you might already have it . I wonder if the low hit is the one odd nosler brass ? I would for sure be trying to use this load , it shows great potential . if I were you I'd load this exact load with 3 matching brass cases and shoot it again .
Yeah you read right. I ran out of prepped Nosler brass and used 2 Fed pieces. I do plan on using all the same when I revisit the range. I was gifted a few pieces of Fed brass and loaded them for the heck of it. That could also explain the low velocities with RL22 since it was loaded in Fed brass. That load also gave an extreme spread of 34fps. I'm sure the first round at 6:00 center of bullseye 3044fps was nosler brass the other 2 at 12:00 was Fed which gave the 34fps ES so you figure. :?
I'm not particularly fond of the nickle Fed brass and will likely pitch it.
After adding up the ES for all 5 loads with H1000 it averaged out to 16.8 fps for 15 shots. Load #4 was only 6fps while load #3 with the smallest group was 23fps.
I plan on reshooting loads 3-4 and 5 with an extra #5 load seated deeper to see if it gets better and the velocity stays the same or close.

I don't want to sound preachy, but shooting groups with mixed brass? That's pointless. Even working up loads to establish a max charge is Russian Roulette with mixed brass. If you expect consistency from the rifle, then you better be feeding it consistently as well. I think you're close. 70-70.5 grains H1000 and play with the seating depth.

desertcj":bkap2ar4 said:
I don't want to sound preachy, but shooting groups with mixed brass? That's pointless. Even working up loads to establish a max charge is Russian Roulette with mixed brass. If you expect consistency from the rifle, then you better be feeding it consistently as well. I think you're close. 70-70.5 grains H1000 and play with the seating depth.
It wasn't intended and had miss counted my brass I knew there would be repercussions when I posted my notes, after finding I was short and already had the Fed prepped I said why not since it was late and I wanted to get it done with out breaking everything down just to prep 2 pieces of brass.
Non of these loads are near Max the 70.5gr load is around 56kpsi. :grin:

truck driver":21ddp4pd said:
desertcj":21ddp4pd said:
It wasn't intended and had miss counted my brass I knew there would be repercussions when I posted my notes, after finding I was short and already had the Fed prepped I said why not since it was late and I wanted to get it done with out breaking everything down just to prep 2 pieces of brass.

If your getting 3030'ish speeds from a 7 Rem with a 24" barrel your probably closer to the 60K mark. You may be able to bump up a little but 3100 out of most 24" 7 Mags is going to be warm.

Not throwing stones at all, but sometimes QL isn't spot on till it's adjusted for all of your inputs.

SJB358":3p4figc0 said:
truck driver":3p4figc0 said:
desertcj":3p4figc0 said:

If your getting 3030'ish speeds from a 7 Rem with a 24" barrel your probably closer to the 60K mark. You may be able to bump up a little but 3100 out of most 24" 7 Mags is going to be warm.

Not throwing stones at all, but sometimes QL isn't spot on till it's adjusted for all of your inputs.
I understand Scotty and not sure if Dewey has adjusted it for my rifle or not oh and it's a 26" M70 barrel and the QL pressures I was quoting were for that length.

Back