7mm WSM Seating Depth

mnwoody

Beginner
May 3, 2005
I have a Winchester model 70 in 7mm WSM. I was having a little trouble finding the exact length that 140 gr. Accubonds were on the rifling. What have other model 70 shooters found to be their overall cartrige dimension with these bullets?

mnwoody,

Every rifle is different. The easiest (and cheapest) way is to take a fired case and insert a bullet into the case. You may have to slightly deform the case mouth so that the bullet will be held tight. Load the "dummy" shell into your rifle and close the bolt. This will push the bullet further into the case once the bullet hits the lands. Carefully open up the bolt and remove the "dummy" shell. Measure the COL and you will have the length to the lands with that given bullet. Now you just have to back off .015" and go from there. Just make sure you have enough clearance for your shells to fit into the magazine.

Regards,

JD338

Thanks for the tip. I was trying the black marker on the bullet and seating it deeper until there were no marks left on the marker, then backing off .015". But finding the exact depth was a little tricky.

Back