7mm xhr

winston

Beginner
Jan 2, 2007
I have a Remington 7mm XHR and 2 inch group is the best that I can do. I have tried H1000, Retumbo, H414 and H4350 with 150 grain ballistic tip. I have changed case overall length...Any suggestions for a tighter group? Thanks in advance.

I would try a different bullet

My 7mag wont shoot the 160 gr AB no matter what I try but will shoot bugholes with factory blue box federal 150 gr softpoints

I can think of a couple of "maybe" things you could try. First off, try a flat-based bullet, like a Nosler Partition (150-160gr), Hornady 154-162gr Spire Point, or a Speer 160gr Spitzer. Or whatever else you like.

Also, you might look at H4350 under some 175's - not terribly fast (about 2800, if I recall correctly) but the most accurate in a 7mmRemMag I was working on a while back. That gun didn't like anything I put through it except that load and a very slow (2700fps) 160gr AccuBond load, but I figured, what's the point of that?

Anyway, you might also check the crown for a tiny burr, and be sure the copper is out of the bore. Use some foam, or Bore-Tech Eliminator. I bet you get a lot of blue. Might still shoot crappy, but it will at least be clean.

If that doesn't work, you can always rebarrel or trade it.

i've had very good luck with imr4350and h4831 in my 700 bdl 7mm rem.I'm curently using 140 bt, 140 ab,150 bt,and 160 ab. All shoot great.

Try RL 22, great powder in the 7mm Rem Mag.

JD338

work from 61-66 gr of RL22 with a 160 gr. If nothing shoots you probably have a "problematic" 7mm mag.

My Model 70 has always shot the PTs very well. It especially loves 175 grain PTs. Works very well on moose, elk and bear.

Yeap, give RL22 a try. Very good powder for the 7RM. Great speed and usually excellent accuracy! Scotty

BTW that is the triangular barrel on that gun huh?

I have wanted a M700 for a long time now, had every other bolt from the big box companies at one time or another, and when the xhr came out I REALLY wanted one.
I really like the looks of it but I guess that doesn't make them shoot (should have learned this lesson already with my new featherweight)
I'll just tune up the rifles I have for now :(

This gun has a tight throat.The rifles are at 3.523 and I'm using a dummy round. The pressure is off of the round at 3.325 and I have loaded at 3.285 and up to 3.315.

If you haven't done so already, be sure and check the "usual suspects".
scope ounts and ring tight.
barrel freefloated.
bedded properly.
action screws even,
and a good copper remover as mentioned by dubyam.
There are all good things to review just to make sure.

Thanks for the info I finally got my hands on some 215m primers and going to give that a try been using WLMR

YEAH MAN got something to work with now. Using IMR 4350 with 62gr and 150gr nbt shooting .75 inch groups at 100 yards. Not perfect but will work some more with that powder. Going to check the ogive of some bullets and load some more for Sunday.

winston,

Good show! Way to hang in there.

JD338

Dont know his load, but 4350 and 130 grain speers was all Dad ever used. Glad to hear its working out. A 7Mag is a terrible thing to waste... :)

Back