7x57 AI Question

J.R.K.83226

Beginner
May 31, 2007
Ran across one of these last night when i was picking up the 250 savage. Custom built on a Interarms Mark X action. It comes with a slew of formed brass ,loaded ammo and full length die set. Rifle has 26" medium heavy stainless barrel (pac nor).Seen targets and they're bug hole size groups.Question is it worth 800.00 what are your thoughts? Thanks John

The 7X57 AI is a great cartridge. It is perhaps the one Ackley Improved cartridge that takes full advantage of the improvement. I would want to know how many times the brass was fired, as it is of less value to you if it has been fired multiple times. The dies and brass do make the acquisition somewhat more attractive. I confess that I'm always a bit leery of shooting ammunition someone else loaded if I don't know the individual and don't know their attention to detail. In all, $800 seems at the upper end of what I would be willing to pay for such an offering. I would advise checking the bore and asking for opportunity to test fire the rifle yourself. Just my thoughts.

The barrel is worth close to $300 before chambering. I don't know what condition its in but I'm kinda thinking $700 maybe $800 but that's if its in mint condition. Also does it come with a scope or anything?

J.R.K.83226":2gzkvw0d said:
Ran across one of these last night when i was picking up the 250 savage. Custom built on a Interarms Mark X action. It comes with a slew of formed brass ,loaded ammo and full length die set. Rifle has 26" medium heavy stainless barrel (pac nor).Seen targets and they're bug hole size groups.Question is it worth 800.00 what are your thoughts? Thanks John

Hi
I've had one for 11 years. The rifle you discrible should be a tack driver in that chambering. And the 26" barrel will extract all the velocitiy this round is capable of.
It all depends on how much time you are wiling to spend at the range developing loads and fireforming cases when the ones you have wear out. However if you already have some proven loads for this rifle, then the hard part is done, unless you want to go farther..

Ck out this thread.. You might find it interesting.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve ... 6751076961

Well i picked it up. After looking over the notes that came with the rifle and pulling a bullet or two from the ammo that was handloaded and checking bullet wieghts,charges to the notes.Bullets were 130gr. powder was 54gr. of RVO30-06 . Anyway i tried 150gr Swift Sciroccos and Win brass CCI200 and the folloing powders;IMR4350-49grs/RL19-52grs/VVN160-51grs with OAL of 3.065" .Also used 3 rounds of the 130gr bullets they grouped at 3/4" and IMR and RL were a bummer at 1-1/2 to 2" . But N160 had a .34" grouping :shock: :grin: So i've loaded up 20 rounds more to run more paces with the chrony. My fingers are crossed as i've never had this kind of luck.

Back