7x57, good article in Guns magazine

Wow, yeah, that sorta rifle would spoil a guy.

I have plenty of rifles, but I could really like another 7x57 of my own. No need for one, but a light "featherweight'ish" sorta walking around rifle would be a super little rig.

Yes, that is a very good article on the 7x57. One thing I noted was JB gave proper loads for the cartridge, not the wimpy 1892 velocity level found in most manuals. :x I've read it twice now in the last three days and will probably read it a couple more times. I have a sweet Husqvarna FN style M98 Mauser just aching to be my nest build. I already have three rifles in 7x57 so why not give then another sibling. :mrgreen: Currently one is a Ruger #1A that I had to send back to Ruger. It came with a 2.5" throat as determined by my gunsmith with a chamber cast. Shoots good now. Next is a custom of sorts using an FN Mauser, 23" barrel, Stock looks like the Winchester M70 FWT with the sling swivel on the barrel. This one shows high pressure much sooner than the Ruger #1 or the M70 FWT. A very accurate rifle though. I did a little test with it and the other two which was very interesting. The last rifle is a Winchester M70 FWT push feed that is also very accurate. The only change made on it was a Pachmeyr Decelerator pad. Not so much for me but my wife does not like recoil all that much.
On the test I did, I loaded up some 175 gr. Hornady round nose to what should be the original 2300 FPS the cartridge built it's reputation on and then ran it through all three rifles.The FWT and Ruger were close in they gave 2300 FPS and small change but the FN was 2400 plus with the same load. Loads that are happy in the Winchester and Ruger will lock up the bolt on the FN. :(
Guess one can't have everything. :roll: All I can add is the more I play with the 7x57, the more I like it.
Paul B.

I have a really beautiful custom LR 98 in 7x57 getting some finishing touches right now. Hoping to hunt with it this fall. As soon as it's in my possession I'll post up pics.

Hoping to get 150 NBTs shooting through it for pronghorn, and 120 NBTs for whitetails here.

Thanks a lot Guy for calling this great article to my attention! I'll be re-reading it multiple times as I anxiously await the arrival of my own rifle!

I think you'll love the 7x57 Eric. I fell in love with my sons. Easy shooting and hard to find something that doesn't shoot well.

Eric, it's a sweetheart. I love mine. In the featherweight it's the perfect light gun. One of my favorites.

That was an excellent article about one of my all time favorite cartridges. No....it's not flashy, or a speed demon, and when you shoot it the report won't wake the dead! LOL
It has withstood the test of time, and the countless game animals it's harvested probably puts it in the legendary status. It will take 90% of N. American game.
Finn Aagaard, and Jack O' Connor espoused its worthiness. It is so good, that even Jack's wife used it for everything she ever hunted!
Will it give you blistering speeds compared to the newest ultra magnum? No! Does it have copious amounts of unfettered energy? No!
What can it do, you ask? It can make a hunter a better hunter by not making him/her flinch. You can stick a 7mm bullet where it needs to be, and it will dig deep, and probably exit the other side because the sectional densities are high for 7mm bullets.
For being born in 1892, it sure is still spry! And let's hope this is a cartridge that makes it to the next century.
My last suggestion? Try it, you'll like it!

Well said Deerslayer. I really like the 7x57 Mauser. Awesome 7mm in my opinion.. Then again, I like alot of the 7mm's.. :twisted:

I will hopefully get a rifle in the near future chambered in 7x57mm. A Ruger M77, or maybe a Remington 700 Classic in 7x57mm.
Then I would like to get a Ruger M77 in 6.5x55! Yet another favorite cartridge of mine, too!

My Winchester 7X57 gives me great accuracy, and it is a good looking rifle.

I have had a few 7x57s, 2 small ring sporterized milsurps and a Win Mod 70 FWT. Both the mausers shot mild ammo very well, traded them off though. I had high hopes for the Win Mod 70, but it just would not do better than 2" @100 with anything! I talked a boss into buying the only Mod 700 classic 7x57 ( this was back in 85) I ever saw. I had him buy the dies and I worked him up a load ( for his spoiled brat of a punk kid) with the Speer 130. It was extremely accurate! The boy shot a young buck that fall, he shot him all around the edges and in the guts before he got him!) Boss man didn't like the rifle after that, but he wouldn't sell me the rifle either! ha. Of course, I didn't have any money to buy it, but I always yearned for a Mod 700 classic in 7x57. I just can't make myself cough up what they want for them! I did have a little Kimber 84M in 7mm/08 for a few years, I traded a rifle and some cash for it new. I scratched my 7x57 itch with it ( same- same thing) I like the Classics and Mountain Rifles more than most though. A 7x57 in either would be sweet.

preacher":1eezk7eq said:
I have had a few 7x57s, 2 small ring sporterized milsurps and a Win Mod 70 FWT. Both the mausers shot mild ammo very well, traded them off though. I had high hopes for the Win Mod 70, but it just would not do better than 2" @100 with anything! I talked a boss into buying the only Mod 700 classic 7x57 ( this was back in 85) I ever saw. I had him buy the dies and I worked him up a load ( for his spoiled brat of a punk kid) with the Speer 130. It was extremely accurate! The boy shot a young buck that fall, he shot him all around the edges and in the guts before he got him!) Boss man didn't like the rifle after that, but he wouldn't sell me the rifle either! ha. Of course, I didn't have any money to buy it, but I always yearned for a Mod 700 classic in 7x57. I just can't make myself cough up what they want for them! I did have a little Kimber 84M in 7mm/08 for a few years, I traded a rifle and some cash for it new. I scratched my 7x57 itch with it ( same- same thing) I like the Classics and Mountain Rifles more than most though. A 7x57 in either would be sweet.
I hear you Preacher. I'd love to get my hands on an M700 Classic. I have classics in 30-06 and .35 Whelen. On the 7x57, I have three. A Ruger #1, Winchester M70 Featherweight and an FN Mauser custom. Love all three and would love to add the Classic so they could have a new friend to play with. :wink:
Paul B.

Deerslayer0823":3b8mv1l6 said:
I will hopefully get a rifle in the near future chambered in 7x57mm. A Ruger M77, or maybe a Remington 700 Classic in 7x57mm.
Then I would like to get a Ruger M77 in 6.5x55! Yet another favorite cartridge of mine, too!

Sounds like you have good tastes.

Yuuuup! Champagne tastes on economy beer budget! LOL
For now at least!
Hope I can get started on my business soon! Just waiting for tax return to come in!
But if I can find sporterized 98 mausers in those calibers, I won't pass them down.

Back