7x57 Partition Questions?

captdavid

Beginner
Jan 30, 2005
I'm sorry to ask so many questions, but I want to know before I buy. I'm begining to reload for a FN Mauser with a long throat. I use the 'smokey bullet method.' If one uses the 'bullet diamater' as a guide to how much bullet should be in the neck, how long (OAL) can a 140 and 150 Partition be loaded in a 7x57. Also, at above 2100fps will both of thes bullets open up on small , 115lb, deer? thanks again, capt david :?: :grin: :?:

Normally it is stated that you need one caliber in the neck which would be 0.284" for the 7mm. If the bullets move under recoil, then you may have to seat them deeper. Also don't think they have to be seated close to the lands to shoot well, there is more than one sweet spot. I have a short action 308 that have the bullets at least 0.070" off the lands and it regularly shoots clover leaf groups. I feel sure the partitions will open up on those deer. But if you are concerned at all use a ballistic tip. I load for several 7/08 AIs and they all use a 140gr Ballistic Tip and no deer has lived through impact with those.Rick.

The BTs are my choice for deer, I'm just wondering if the PTs will open up as fast, or close to it, albeit just not as much. capt david

Both the 140 gr and the 150 gr PT will open up down to 1800 fps impact velocity. I started out loading my 280 Rem with the 140 gr PT and shot a few WT deer with them from 20 yds to over 300 yds. I switched to the 140 gr BT and killed several more deer and two Caribou. All were one shot kills. The BT hits like a bolt of lighting.
IMO, the 140 gr BT is perfect in your 7mmx57. It just doesn't get any better!

Regards,

JD338

Back