8mm 180 grain Balistic Tips

kenneth.klock

Beginner
Oct 27, 2004
I'm planning on buying the new Remington 700 Classic which is chambered in 8 x 57mm this year. Of course, I will begin reloading 8mm as well. I have seen the 180 grain balistic tips on-line and think that would be a great bullet for this cartridge. But, I have two problems...
1. There is no data I can find for 180 grain bullets in a 8 x 57mm cartridge.
2. I would also want to buy FMJ or other "bulk" type bullets in the same weight for just putting rounds down range.
Has anyone seen either some reloading data for this combo or any 8mm FMJ bullets for sale anywhere?

The new Remington is on the .323" diameter correct? Thus Nosler data for the 8mm-180gr BT is as follows.

We had best results with IMR4064 43.0grains.

Please make sure that is a .323" diameter cartridge.

Thanks for that. The rifle is chamered for .323, so no worries there. Where can I get more load data using other powders for this combo? Is it availible on-line, or do I need to buy a book from you guys? Mostly I'm intrested in the possibility of using the Hodgdon powders.

If you want to use Hodgdon powder, I suggest going to the following link for lighter bullets. For the BT, I can give you starting loads.

Varget. 45.0grains (180grain BT) 2464fps

http://www.hodgdon.com

Thanks again. Just for everyone else's benifit, I called Hodgdon last night and asked about load data for the 180 grain BT specifically with their Benchmark powder. Not only did they give me the starting loads and the max loads over the phone, once they found out that I was currently deployed in Iraq, they offered to send me their 2004 Annual reloading book free of charge. Thay said that the data they provided me is printed in the book as well. Here are the loads incase anyone is interested:
39.0 grains of Benchmark for starters (2305 ft/sec)
44.5 grains of Benchmark max (2585 ft/sec)

Hi
Just wondering how the 180grBT is designed? Is it primarily a deer bullet or can we go bigger. What do you (Nosler) recommend? And what is the minimum terminal velocity that would provide good expansion on deer sized game?

Thanks.

Ditto the 43 grains of INR4064. That's the charge my Sporterized K98 likes with the 180 grain BTs.

The 180grain is still a deer bullet. I know of a few that would disagree with me on this one.

The 200gr AccuBond will be a better elk round.

I have had my best results with IMR 4064 also, although I am loading a bit "warmer" than 43grs.

I have gotten 2800fps with 49grs IMR 4064 from a sound K98.

Brass formed from once fired "06" GI brass, CCI primer, 180gr BT O.A.L. of 3.150"

"Quickload" estimates the pressure of this load to be near SAAMI "06"level.

No pressure signs, good brass life etc.

The rifle still wears "issue" sights so accuracy of this load coukld not be established with any certainty although standard deviation was quite low.

Back