8x57 Testing / Experimenting

6.5_sWv

Beginner
Mar 5, 2019
Been working on finding a load for my 8x57 with the Hornady 170gr SST. I tested this bullet previously but I have well over 200 of these so I figured Id try some other powders and seating depths.

I loaded these today with Winchester 748 and a Remington 9.5 L.R. primer and I seated them at .020thou off the lands as a starting point. I am also loading these in some brand new 280rem brass that I converted to 8x57. They're pretty snazzy looking and while it wont help em shoot any better, at least they'll look good while doing it.

After testing the Win 748, Im going to test some CFE 223 and BigGame with the same bullet.

Vveg3A.jpg

What rife are you shooting?
I have found with different make Military 8x57JS rifles that this load usually shoots really good and kills deer great.
47.5 grs IMR 4895, CCI 200, 175 gr Sierra pro hunter, COAL 3.040 and I use a medium Lee Factory Crimp. These rifles have long throats and the Lee Factory Crimp Die medium crimp improves accuracy for me.

My cousin has a Spanish Mauser 98 in 8x57JS that was sported and was his first deer rifle. His son shot some corrosive primed military ammo in it and did not clean it and did not tell his Dad he had done it.
The rifle sat untouched for at least 2 years. When found the bore was almost totally closed up with rust.
I had my cousin bring the rifle to me to see what I could do with it. I cleaned using various methods but the bore looked beyond help. The rifling still showed good but was really ruff in the grooves.
I recrowned the muzzle using the brass round head bolt in a drill and valve grinding compound. I used the above mentioned load and was astounded at the accuracy I got. 5 shots in a ragged hole less than 3/4" at 100 yards.
There was a lot of jacket fouling in the bore after firing 10 shots of which I cleaned out afterward but the rifle was still usable.
My cousin said that this rifle did not shoot anywhere close to what my handload did when the bore was perfect with the Remington and Winchester factory ammo he had used before.

The 1 in 9 1/4ish" twist in the military rifles I have found like 175 gr and heaver bullets best.

That 170 SST ought to make a good deer hunting bullet. I hope you can get it to shoot great.

The 8X57 is a great cartridge for all around hunting. Those loads are attractive.

1Shot":157mdxoo said:
I have found with different make Military 8x57JS rifles that this load usually shoots really good and kills deer great.
47.5 grs IMR 4895, CCI 200, 175 gr Sierra pro hunter, COAL 3.040 and I use a medium Lee Factory Crimp. These rifles have long throats and the Lee Factory Crimp Die medium crimp improves accuracy for me.

Thats cool that you got the old rust bucket to shoot again. Im sure your cousin was happy.

My rifle is a Sauer 100 Ceratech and it also is twisted for 1 in 9 1/4". I recently did some load development for a 200gr AccuBond and it literally shot 3 in 1 hole with both powders I tried. I have some 175 Sierras but I havent tried them yet.
So far since Ive had the gun, Ive shot Hornady 150s, Speer 150s, Speer 170s, Nosler 180 BT, and 200gr AB and everything has shot a 1 inch or less group but it seems the heavier bullets will shoot more accurately.

J2KHPa.jpg

7LTHbJ.jpg

Sweet looking rifle. With that 200 AccuBond you would be set for anything in North America.

I see you are in WV. I went to college in Bluefield WV and lived in Richwood for about 3 1/2 years. That Cherry River area is some RUFF country. I deer hunted while in Richwood but never killed anything. Too many people in the woods tromping around at the same time. I saw a few bucks but they were going through the woods at 90 mph where someone spooked them and never could get a clear shot at one.

I married a girl from Huntington. I was just in Huntington last week for my mother-in-law's funeral.

looks like a really handy rifle for woods hunting. looking forward to see how it shoots.

6.5_sWv":1dqiohip said:
1Shot":1dqiohip said:

Thats cool that you got the old rust bucket to shoot again. Im sure your cousin was happy.

My rifle is a Sauer 100 Ceratech and it also is twisted for 1 in 9 1/4". I recently did some load development for a 200gr AccuBond and it literally shot 3 in 1 hole with both powders I tried. I have some 175 Sierras but I havent tried them yet.
So far since Ive had the gun, Ive shot Hornady 150s, Speer 150s, Speer 170s, Nosler 180 BT, and 200gr AB and everything has shot a 1 inch or less group but it seems the heavier bullets will shoot more accurately.

J2KHPa.jpg

7LTHbJ.jpg
I have one of the sauer 100XT in 9.3x62, and it has been extremely accurate. They are really nice guns, and apparently have great barrels.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have one of the sauer 100XT in 9.3x62, and it has been extremely accurate. They are really nice guns, and apparently have great barrels.

[/quote]

Id totally buy another one. This one has been accurate and its a breeze to carry in the deer woods. I carrried it hog hunting one day and walked 13.8 miles and it was a joy to carry all day.

Do you deer hunt with your 9.3x62 ? Id like to see some other bullet weights offered in that diameter, and Id toy with the idea of buying a Sauer in 9.3

Funny that you buy German guns.
Seems they loose some value on their way over the big pond.
My last one was a Savage. More expensive than for you, still cheaper than ours....

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

6.5_sWv":qo6vdws5 said:

Id totally buy another one. This one has been accurate and its a breeze to carry in the deer woods. I carrried it hog hunting one day and walked 13.8 miles and it was a joy to carry all day.

Do you deer hunt with your 9.3x62 ? Id like to see some other bullet weights offered in that diameter, and Id toy with the idea of buying a Sauer in 9.3[/quote]Yeah I hunt deer with it, and killed one hog with it so far. Ive used the 230 gr, but mosty the 286 gr bullets. Ive played with the 250 gr bullets, but not much.

noslerpartition":3sl1z44e said:
Funny that you buy German guns.
Seems they loose some value in their way over the big pond.
M last one was a Savage. More expensive that for you, still cheaper than ours....

I only own the sauer, and some of the commercial 98's and one sporterized military 98. I'd love to own one of the new m98 experts but 10-15 grand is so far out of my price range I just get to look at them online haha.

10 grand is way over my budget, too.
Luckily, as a lefty, I am not tempted...
We have a lot of gunsmiths that built rifles with older Mauser systems. Guess you have, too.
Usually, they come less expensive by far.
Just yesterday we went through the safe of my girlfriend's grandpa.
And there is an old 'Stutzen' (full length stock) in 7x64. Maybe we find someone who has use for it.
Luckily not Suhler Einhakmontage, which makes mounting a new scope easier.

noslerpartition":2mek4qni said:
10 grand is way over my budget, too.
Luckily, as a lefty, I am not tempted...
We have a lot of gunsmiths that built rifles with older Mauser systems. Guess you have, too.
Usually, they come less expensive by far.
Just yesterday we went through the safe of my girlfriend's grandpa.
And there is an old 'Stutzen' (full length stock) in 7x64. Maybe we find someone who has use for it.
Luckily not Suhler Einhakmontage, which makes mounting a new scope easier.

I started out a lefty, and my dad had alot of problems finding me a rifle in the mid 90's. Around 2007 or 2008 I just spent a whole summer shooting 22's and stuff right handed. Been shooting rifles that way ever since. I do still use a shotgun, and pistol left handed though lol

Zastava builts left-handed M98 systems. Just not original Mauser.
Different price range by far

noslerpartition":326m37nv said:
Zastava builts left-handed M98 systems. Just not original Mauser.
Different price range by far

Those are the commercials 98's I own. A custom 416 taylor improved and a 30/06. Great rifles

Do you have a horizontal safety, or a vertical as the original Mauser system?

noslerpartition":2cmfqj9c said:
Do you have a horizontal safety, or a vertical as the original Mauser system?

I have one with the original vertical flag safety, the other two have timney triggers with the side safeties that look like m700 triggers

Back