9.3 250 Accubond

However for the AB the 2300fps from this caliber seems a bit low if it does not hit any bones.
Or at least I got a strange experience.

This year I shot a female red deer from about 150 yds.
The bullet entered between the ribs and went through the ribcage, Exited also between 2 ribs. It went 80meters and than died. Without a drop of blood.
After the shot, I was sure I managed to hit the deer, but for a 9,3 it is not a common you do not find any blood. I was sweating heavily...
During the field dressing I was amazed how did I managed to place that shot so precisely. Both holes was just like a puncture through a skin nothing more. The lungs were heavily damaged, and all the blood was inside.
So than I decided that, for a larger game I do not work for kitchen I place my shot rather in the "engine room" rather than behind the shoulder plates.
Probably any bullet would act the same if not hitting any bones...

Last edited:
Well done on the deer. I think with even a fairly mild N150 load you should be getting over 2,400fps with an AccuBond. I think if you are unlucky and go through between ribs, quiet a lot of bullets won't leave much exit on a large animal.

Happy hunting!

Scrummy

It's been a while I posted anything here but now it is something worth to mention.
Just lately I managed to shoot my very first Stag. The antler seems over 11 lbs (5-6kgs), the weight without head and processed was 305lb (138kgs).

The shot distance was roughly 120m. The AB fracture the shoulder plate at the entry side, and stopped under the hide at the othe side. The remaining weight of the AB was 150,7grains.
What is strange: not a single drop of blood was found. We were even unable to find the entry hole before processing.
Seems that I was right. AB in this caliber needs bigger speed to show some bloodtrails.
The death run was around 100meters.

I post pictures soon from the AB.
:)

High lung/chest shots tend to allow most of the blood to stay within the chest cavity, and most of the blood trail, if any, will be that that comes from the animal's coughing it up.
Lower chest shots will allow more blood to drain out of the entry and/or exit wounds to leave a better blood trail. Food for thought.

Thanks for the update on your hunt.

It does sound like a bit of speed wouldn’t hurt anything or putting it on some bone.

Lorka
Welcome aboard. As others have mentioned you will find this to be a highly knowledgeable and friendly group. Congratulation on your stag, looking forward to seeing your pictures. My personal philosphy is to break bone particularly on elk. The area I hunt is very steep and deep. A 100 yard death run can send them tumbling another 1000 feet down the hill. My favorite bullet for elk is a 250 grain AccuBond. They have been very reliable out to 500 yards. I wouldn‘t change bullets based on a 100 yard death run.

Lorka
Welcome aboard. As others have mentioned you will find this to be a highly knowledgeable and friendly group. Congratulation on your stag, looking forward to seeing your pictures. My personal philosphy is to break bone particularly on elk. The area I hunt is very steep and deep. A 100 yard death run can send them tumbling another 1000 feet down the hill. My favorite bullet for elk is a 250 grain AccuBond. They have been very reliable out to 500 yards. I wouldn‘t change bullets based on a 100 yard death run.
To be honest, it is still my favourite. I have Partition, PPU, Lapua Mega, Speer SP around me and still not seriously thinking about the change. I will rather speed up a bit.
Due to the denser vegetation in the area where I usually hunt a bloodtrail sometimes would be really usefull, that one I miss.
The extra fps will probably solve this.

Well done on the deer. I think with even a fairly mild N150 load you should be getting over 2,400fps with an AccuBond. I think if you are unlucky and go through between ribs, quiet a lot of bullets won't leave much exit on a large animal.

Happy hunting!

Scrummy
I still have one can IMR3031 which I use for this.
And also some: Stb 6,5, Match, RS60 (RL-17)
Probably will start to try some 285gr bullets also, but it mourns for some spped for sure. :)

I think a bit more speed will help. Some times we will be surprised by what a bullet does or does not do. Ive shot quite a few elk with the 250 gr/338 from 30 yards to 300 without recovering a bullet. I’ve killed a couple at 400 and two at 500, declined shots that were further. I’ve recovered exactly one bullet. I recall once putting two accubonds into an elk.
None of us has shot enough game to have a great data set but my experience is get an exit wound you’ll have a much better blood trail.
Again, welcome to the forum and please keep reporting on your progress.

That is absolutely true.
Every hunter friend of mine is in love with one specific bullet type. In November I will go for a second run for stag.
Since 2015 when I bought this gun I use AB, and I still stick to it

I do have a .38 Mauser M12 with customized stock. I may put some pictures about it as with that I uesd Geco (rws) SP, and now Sierra. But I have BT and AB in it also so soon there will be a complete review about the noslers :)

Thank you for your answers!

That is absolutely true.
Every hunter friend of mine is in love with one specific bullet type. In November I will go for a second run for stag.
Since 2015 when I bought this gun I use AB, and I still stick to it

I do have a .38 Mauser M12 with customized stock. I may put some pictures about it as with that I uesd Geco (rws) SP, and now Sierra. But I have BT and AB in it also so soon there will be a complete review about the noslers :)

Thank you for your answers!

I too use the 250 gr AccuBond ammo in my LH Sako 85 Hunter in 9.3x62 and it shoots very well (just under 1/2" groups).
So far I have only taken a young bull moose with at 180 yards. Quartering to shot that I took, aiming high in the shoulder to drop it in its tracks so that it would not make it down the hill into the muskeg. Great penetration crossways along the spine (over 18" of the heavy bone). Did the job just fine, and didn't ruin much backstrap!

I plan on using it for my next bison hunt (should have had it along last week as we came across a nice herd with 4 bulls in it, and then found a lone bull in another spot afterwards. Shots would have been less than 70 yards for either.

I have not handloaded for it yet, but Varget appears to be a favourite powder used by many in Canada for their 9.3x62, reporting 2500 fps. Other are using Re-15 and reporting over 2600 fps.

Back