A Brace of Newer Cannons at the Range

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
I had some work to perform on a customer's gun today. This afforded me opportunity to spend some time in load development on two of my newer rifles. I took the 338 Federal and the 9.3X64 Brenneke with me. I was a little concerned that the Brenneke had a longer throat than I had anticipated. However, before I began to insist on some adjustments, I decided I should see if it will shoot. I believe there is potential there. This is the rifle:

93X645.jpg

93X644.jpg

I loaded a couple of sets built around the 286 grain Partition. One set was built with RL22 and a second with N560. Each of these loads shows potential, even with the long jump to the lands. My best group with N560 is 0.80 inches, which is certainly minute of moose (or grizzly). I believe this will tighten as the load is refined and the rifle is broken in.

93X64N560tests_zpsbe76e2de.jpg

The lighter charge was 0.80 inches and the groups opened to a maximum of 1.38 inches at the higher charge. Velocity at the maximum is just a shade under 2600 fps. That is about 100 fps less than I projected, but still sufficient to thump game around here. Plus, velocity will increase as the rifle is shot some more.

With RL22, the groups grew tighter as the charge was increased. Groups went from 1.60 inches at the lightest charge to 0.85 inches at the highest charge.

93X64785gRL22_zps6073f721.jpg

Again, for the first time wringing it out, I can't say that I'm displeased.

I also had the 338 Federal out with a number of loads. There were still loads needing to be shot when the day was finished. However, I did obtain some good intel on this rifle. This was the rifle that tagged my moose earlier this fall.

Moose201208152.jpg

I did some work with 185 grain TSX and Hodgdon CFE. The loads gave me good velocities, and so-so accuracy. It was consistent across the spectrum at 1.5 inch groups. However, I had considerably more success with either the 200 grain E-Tip or the 210 grain Partition. With the E-Tip, I had a load charged with W748 which is giving decent accuracy. Velocity isn't great, but I have something to work from.

338Fed200gE-TipW748_zps421160fb.jpg

I'm certain I'll look at this load more carefully in coming days, focusing on making the groups somewhat tighter and boosting the velocity a tad. At least one of the loads built around the 210 grain Partition are showing some promise. The load built with A2520 simply isn't giving me the accuracy I might anticipate. However, a load worked up with H380 shows some promise.

338Fed210PTH3802_zps07255fc5.jpg

Velocities for these loads was in the 2400 to 2450 range, which can be boosted somewhat. Accuracy is sub-MOA, which gives me something to work toward.

In all, it was a pleasant day at the range. Temperatures were in the vicinity of 34C at mid-afternoon, after starting the day at 1C. Wind was about 6 km/hr with gusts to about 8 km/hr from 180 degrees. Not bad.

Mike,
I'm very interested in your work with the 338 Fed. I've been working with the 185 TSX as you know but the energy drops off quickly. The 200 gr hot core give me the best overall at 2600 fps and 3003 FPE and retains 1226 FPE at 500 yds. with an honest .5" at 100. I have no problems beating sub 1" with any loads except the 225 Swift A Frame at 2406 fps which hits an inch. In fact I tried so many loads out to 500 yds I'll have to re-sight with what works best. I'm leaning towards the 200 gr Hot Core because I can hit out to 500 with the LR reticle in the little 3-9x33 Leupold. That's a nice Moose you nailed with your 338 Fed. What were the circumstances of the shot that you took him with?
Thanks
Greg

Greg,

I don't see any particular difficulty in achieving 2600 fps with a 200 grain bullet. I have been leaning toward the E-Tip, but today may convince me to take a renewed look at the 210 grain Partition. This will not be a long-range cannon, but it will provide some honest power out to 250 yards, which will work very well in deep spruce woods around here. I am sorry to hear your report on the A-Frames, as that bullet has treated me well over the years. I just ordered some 300 grain A-Frames for the 9.3X64, and picked up some more 286 grain Partitions. I believe these heavier bullets will be my focus in that cannon.

The moose was a "gimme" on opening morning. We weren't quite to where we wanted to hunt when we drove past a new cut block. He was standing about 140 yards from the road. I offered him to the driver; he passed, I didn't. I stepped out of the truck, took one shot. He ran about 80 yards, stopped, teetered and toppled. A fuller account can be found here: http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20211. I was using factory ammunition (Federal, 200 grain Trophy Copper) which gives me almost 2700 fps from this rifle. It is the first time I've used factory ammunition in a hunt in well over a decade. The bullet hit him on the left shoulder, penetrated across the pneumatic cavity and lodged under the T-bones. Pretty good penetration, which induced me to focus on the 200 grain E-Tip.

The A-Frames didn't fail me. I use them in several other rifles. They were simply too heavy at 225 grs. for the trajectory I was hoping for. 200 grs sounds perfect but again I'm hampered by my magazine length which causes accubonds to shoot shotgun patterns. I fear the e-tip is a similar profile. I would really like to take the 338 Fed on the California hunt with the 200 gr. Hot Cores.

Gotcha, Greg. Since I built the rifle on a Winchester action, the magazine permits me to load out pretty well.

Mike

You are well on your way. The 9.3 is shooting great and should only get better.
Hope you can hammer an elk with the 9.3X64 Brenneke.

JD338

When the weather breaks and turns cool, I'll be back afield carrying the Brenneke. It may well be launching a 286 grain Partition now. I hope to get out again next week. I have several rifles to work up for others (a 7STW, a 300WSM and a 338 Lapua). I should be able to take a couple of mine along as well.

Mike looks to me like both rifle are in great shape accuracy wise and would be quite fond of several of the groups. Moose and Griz beware. :mrgreen:

Bill

I've only begun load development, Bill. The groups will improve over the course of work during the coming weeks.

DrMike":1njm3c1j said:
I've only begun load development, Bill. The groups will improve over the course of work during the coming weeks.

Figured they would Mike but you got some great stating points.

Bill

Two very sensible medium bores ya got there Mike. Good lookers and looks like they're going to be good shooters to boot!

Looking forward to seeing that 9.3 harvest an elk.

Good report on a couple of interesting rifles Mike. Thanks for sharing that.

I seem to want to keep an "over .30 cal" rifle around for some reason. Don't need one, but it's fun to have something a little bigger than normal, and they can be very useful. Particularly if they're accurate!

Guy

I do believe there is hope, Guy. I'll work on this one some more. I do believe it will put a whupping on a moose or a bear.

Those two cartridges are pretty cool Mike. I really dig that 9.3 and really like that 286 PT and 300 Swift. Those two should be pretty fearsome on Griz and moose for you. You keep hitting me with the danged 9.3. I happen to have an extra Model 70 laying around needing something cool.

I'm rather enjoying this cartridge, Scotty. I do believe it will deliver a pretty good blow to anything I shoot with it.

Yeah, I would say so Mike. That is just about everything a guy could ever want in your area. Pretty flat shooting and alot of hammer when it touches down. Plus, that rifle is pretty classy too!

It's not bad off the bench, either. In the field, it'll be a pleasure to torch off.

Very attractive rifles and darn fine groups, but I know that old Ross wants to go hunting too! You nail a critter with it and that will be a major highlight of your hunting career. It would make my day, too!

It is in the queue as I write this. I have a few projects that have come in (in the middle of hunting season) and these two that I'm working on; however, the ol' Ross is chomping at the bits and should be ready for deer in November.

Back