Short barrel 7mm-08

orchemo

Handloader
Dec 13, 2006
My 17 inch Tikka barrel is back. Shot some great groups, now working on finding the right combination of bullet and powder

Stuff loads of Big Game group well.

120 gr BT @ 2825
140 gr BT @ 2700

Anticipated the velocity drop, so not worried about that as the rifle handles great with the can on the end and groups very well

140's carry more energy at 300 vs the 120's.
Not difference in recoil

Anticipated game: black tail, black bears inside 300.

Thinking either bullet will do fine, just shoot more and pick the best grouping?

Sounds like you're set. I can't imagine much difference between the two loads on game. Maybe try them both and see if there's one you like better, both have good a reputation as excellent game bullets.

My 17 inch Tikka barrel is back. Shot some great groups, now working on finding the right combination of bullet and powder

Stuff loads of Big Game group well.

120 gr BT @ 2825
140 gr BT @ 2700

Anticipated the velocity drop, so not worried about that as the rifle handles great with the can on the end and groups very well

140's carry more energy at 300 vs the 120's.
Not difference in recoil

Anticipated game: black tail, black bears inside 300.

Thinking either bullet will do fine, just shoot more and pick the best grouping?
I don't know what the difference is in power between them, but if you are going for bear, I would go with what you think would give you better penetration; I expect that would be the 140s., but it's a great excuse to shoot some pork shoulders.

I would go with the 140s , thats the weight I use in my 7-08. If I were to run monos then I would go with a 120gr for the added velocity.

There are a lot of cartridges out there that shoot their bullets at 2700 fps, that have earned great reputations for cleanly taking a wide variety of game over the past century (and longer). Just something that works with this velocity!
While the 120 is plenty for blacktails, I would tend to go for the 140 for the greater sectional density (.213 vs .248) to assist with penetration on heavier muscle, fat and heavier bone of the black bear.

140's was my thought too. I know the 120's are a tough bullet, but the carried momentum and energy is nice.

If you ever wonder what a Tikka with a 17 inch barrel looks like......(M48 280 AI in the back). Barks without the suppressor, but awesome suppressed.

Attachments

• IMG_1167.jpeg
    IMG_1167.jpeg
    59.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1168.jpeg
    IMG_1168.jpeg
    47.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Looks like a good load with an outstanding finishing act with your hunt.

Not a beast, but was time limited to fill my tag. Taking two buddies back down in a couple weeks to find their bears.
Very nice coat on him/her, the 140 gr BT is a good bullet for bear and deer. Congrats again.

Last edited:
Back