a couple of trips to the range

jimbires

Handloader
Aug 16, 2011
I went shooting last Thursday evening , and again this morning . I'm confirming some drop data for my 338 . thursday evening was a good shooting day , it rained but didn't bother anything . this morning when the sun came up the temp climbed rapidly and the wet , from heavy dew , range made for terrible mirage , it was boiling . boiling mirage and no wind made it really hard for me to tell much about the loads and drop data so I left sooner than I wanted . all targets shot from prone position . a few pics .

600yards , 338 Lapua , taped holes from Thursday , new holes this morning .

600yards 7 rem mag , taped holes from a little while ago (month maybe ) , new holes today . I had one get away from me today .

500 yards 338 , thursday . 4 shots

400 yards 338 thursday .the paper target came loose from the cardboard . cardboard shows group .

260 rem at 200 yards . thursday .shot from bench.

tikka 7mm 08 at 200 yards shot from bench

my remington 7mm-08 tactical rifle verifying 100 zero , it's high . 140 berger with RL17 powder it's been a good shooting load , and good velocity .

338 lapua tactical rifle one out of group is clean cold bbl , verifying 100 zero just a little high .good velocity for a 300 gr berger hunting bullet , averaging right at 2925FPS . I think I found what I was looking for in this load .

looking down range

You certainly have reason to be pleased with your performance and the ammo you've built. Excellent results.

thanks Dr Mike , I enjoy loading and shooting . sometimes I'm a little jerky , as you can see on a few targets . but I can usually get the job done .

Very nice Jim. Seems like all of them are working very well.

Great looking range.

That 7 Rem looks pretty good. Still shooting the 160 AccuBond from it?

What about the 260?

SJB358":3kdtqagt said:
Very nice Jim. Seems like all of them are working very well.

Great looking range.

That 7 Rem looks pretty good. Still shooting the 160 AccuBond from it?

What about the 260?

Hi Scotty , yes I'm shooting the 160 A-bonds in the 7 rem mag . I'm shooting 125 partitions in the 260 .
it's a nice range , and only about 12 miles from home . I have a key to the gate and I come and go as I please . there is no set hours which makes it nice . the club has just dozed the berms up . this has needed done for a long time . they were flattening out . the range from about 110 yards out is grown up with goldenrod , and other stuff . some places it's about shoulder high . so shooting prone can be a problem of not seeing the target for the goldenrod . I'm sure the club is short on money , but it's looking like they may be going to do some maintenance . the only part of the range that has been taken care of is out to the 110 yards . the club holds a few rimfire matches through the summer . so they keep the close range up pretty well . there is a small stream that crosses the range at 110 yards and also about 450 yards . they keep a foot bridge at 110 yards , but I had to jump rocks at 450 yards . I built a foot bridge there a summer or two ago . it makes it nice when the stream is high . I use the range a lot and it only cost $15 per year to be a member . donating a bridge is the least I can do . I need to find a close to home place I can stretch things out to 1000 yards or so .
in one of your threads you mentioned looking for RL26 . if you don't find any let me know , I think I can get it . I'll be on I-95 through Virginia October 29 . I have a pretty good source for powder , and the price is good . let me know on this .

facing the firing line from 450 yard bridge

looking at my 500 yard target and 550 yard silhouette rams

That's a nice place.

Let me know on the 26. Might be worth a trip if they have other stuff as well. I'll bring some rifles.

Testing rifles on range does give an idea where and how you & your gun `connect`..

Thanks for sharing your results. The power of the .338Lapua is awesome. 300grain@ +2900 ft/sec is close to .378Wea force.

thanks for the comments fellas . I really enjoy this hobby . you are right , the lapua with a 300 gr bullet at 2925 ave velocity is powerful . at the distances I've shot it I'd say I've got a decent load . I'll know more when I can shoot longer . I need to work on the extreme velocity spread , it's a little higher than I'd like for long shooting . I'm thinking it will show up as verticle spread in my longer distance groups .time will tell .

I've been taking a note book with me to log some info down . I just realized this afternoon I left it at the range . I thought it was in my truck . so I went to get it and took the 260 along to try and better my target I have posted . I'm a little ashamed because the tikka and the 260 shoot way better than these targets , it was driver error . so here is another target shot at 100 yards off a couple jackets balled up like a back pack , with me being fresh . I had to try and redeem myself .

SJB358":f6fc6q7w said:
That's a nice place.

Let me know on the 26. Might be worth a trip if they have other stuff as well. I'll bring some rifles.

Scotty , this sounds good . I'd like to get together and shoot . the problem is right now I'm getting a little short on time . I'm heading west Sept 9 and won't be back until Oct 3 or 4 . leaving again Oct 29 and getting back Nov 4 . we'll have to figure something out , I'd like to get together .

Elkman":15ehnm08 said:
Great shooting JIM, your ready to go. The range is beautiful.

thank you Bill . I spend a fair amount of time there . I hope you and the guys have a great hunting season .

c. schutte":2fywt1yf said:
Jim,

That is a wonderful range you have there.

Charles , I'm lucky to be this close to a range . a little TLC and it would be perfect .

Back