A few expensive or a lot, less expensive

I am not sure if I am in the "lot" category or not, but I am in the inexpensive category. Nothing I own is worth over $800 and most I paid less than $400 for. When my father died I had two safes full of long guns, through gifting (11 so far) to friends and family , and couple of young men and women, and selling. I am down to 1 medium sized safe. I have been slowly reducing the herd for several years now but still have three or four more than I use. I am a practical man and it pains me to see a weapon in the safe that is unused, that someone else would treasure, and have joy in using. My primary rifles are proven in the field and the cost of the most hunted was $150 the next most hunted $65 All will shoot well under 1 MOA and several 1/2 that. Of course these two rifles I have also owned the longest one 58 years, the other 48 years. None are fancy, none have pretty wood, but are more like well used tools, who get the job done year after year. I am 72 now and am trying to figure out what and when, to transfer some more. I got rid of one in January and am trying to get another one on its way right now. Its been a great run, and am hoping for a few more years.

I'm a fan of quality over quantity and they do not have to be all that expensive. They just can't be "cheap".............

My reasoning is there is so much overlap with cartridges that just a few will handle all situations. That being the case I would rather have something that I really enjoy and can be proud of as opposed to a cheap rifle just so that I could own it. Of course, if I was young and did not have much money I would buy whatever I could afford.........................

I think Hodgeman related basically what I meant to say in his post above, as did Charles in his post directly above this one

I am not sure expensive was even the right word. But Hodgeman stated my case better than I did

I found that I ended up using basically 3 different rifles, and found I was not in need of anything else, plus I knew the rifles, they were like an extension of my arm as I had hunted with them so much. I dare say my 257 Weatherby, 300 H & H, or 375 H & H is and has been for awhile, all that I would need for any hunt in the world. These are not crazy expensive rifles, but they were all custom made to fit me.

My son still has many of the rifles my husband and I owned and of those he seems to enjoy the "lever" rifles the most, but he admittedly uses possibly three or four different rifles to hunt with and if it were not for the sentimental value of some of the rifles he would sell them I believe.

I guess I gravitate more and more to custom rifles and utility over aesthetic. Combined with premium glass. My level of quality depending on my funds. I’m not afraid to spend money on guns and optics! Almost nothing I own is unmodified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Europe":ud7le3o5 said:
My son still has many of the rifles my husband and I owned and of those he seems to enjoy the "lever" rifles the most, but he admittedly uses possibly three or four different rifles to hunt with and if it were not for the sentimental value of some of the rifles he would sell them I believe.

In part, that's why I've got a small "collection" of older guns - because of Dad, Grandpa, various uncles... giving me guns from time to time... So, I've got some oddball stuff like that .22 Hi Power Savage 99. It's a very cool old gun, and was handed down to me, which is why I keep it. It's a "family" gun and I feel a certain responsibility to keep those things.

But I'd never go out and buy a danged 22 Hi Power Savage 99! Honestly, I have no practical use for the rifle.

So, it and some others sit here and age gracefully, being kept rust free and warm in my gunsafe.

Guy

hodgeman":3swyd1v5 said:
I tend to like at least one reasonable sample of-
1 varmint/predator rifle
1 big game rifle
1 "spare" big game rifle
1 large bore revolver
1 shotgun
1 .22LR rifle

Ya, I've made those very practical lists... They look so good on paper. Then I open the gun safe and find six or seven rifles that could all be reasonably used for most of my big game hunting. Sigh...

I cull the herd, then a few years later I have trouble shutting the gunsafe door again, 'cause it has gotten crowded in there. Ah well...

Guy

I'd be reasonably content with:

Target rifle for competition
Varmint rifle for rodents at longish ranges
22 rifle - 'cause I've GOT to have a 22, and it needs to be a Marlin 39A
big game rifle
big game rifle #2

shotgun, emphasis on upland game which is my main feathered pursuit

22 practice pistol
45 ACP 1911
44 mag S&W revolver

And yes, I'd like them to all be good quality firearms.

Guy

Good thread- I haven't read it all (its time for this 'ole boy to get to bed) but my initial thought: Less is more. If they fit me and work right, all the time that's all I need. And not necessarily expensive either..... :) There is no substitute for velocity, but velocity is a poor substitute for discretion. CL

I used to have some nice custom rifles.... then I ended up with five children. Those “nice” guns got parlayed into a couple rimfires, two “cheaper” big game rigs, two shotguns, a nice .260 set-up for my wife, 4 binoculars, and a couple hundred dollars worth of tags for the past several years.

I really like nice nice hunting rifles... but I really love hunting and shooting with my family.

I may, someday, drop the coin on another nice custom big game rig... but for now, all of those resources have been reallocated to our family hunting experiences... and it couldn’t be more rewarding.

Another.... more philosophical answer.

I’d rather have one or two run-of-the-mill rifles... that I got to hunt and shoot a lot..... than a safe full of beauties that never got to go outside.

Wait a minute I need to reevaluate this this.
Bought a Ruger M77 Hawkeye all weather of GB cheap.
Got a medium high dollar stock.
VX3i Leopold rifle scope.
Total cost to me $1000 dollars.
Had I bought this new it would have been $1400 or more and still might have had to replace the stock since Ruger doesn't use high end synthetic stocks. Besides I wouldn't have had all the fun of putting it together and making it work and shoot good.
There is no guarantee that any rifle will shoot so I look at it like I can sell off the rifle in the original stock and use the add ons for another project. If I bought it in fancy wood or pay top dollar for a dressed up factory rifle that wouldn't shoot I would just be loosing money that was hard errand.

The 'family' firearms won't be going anywhere until I do. Then they'll go to my 'adopted' grandson and granddaughters.
There are 2 25-06's that won't be going anywhere either. After that, I have a 'dedicated' elk rifle, a 'back-up' elk rifle and a couple of 'deer' rifles. I have two 'toys' a Daniel Defense AR that I use to make empties and a Tikka 223 that I use those empties in.
I have a couple of rifles that may turn into trade bait or just get sold outright.

I'm with Elkman and hate to see or own seldom used equipment. Likewise price isn't a primary factor, but ergonomics, parts fitment and muscle memory. Currently standardizing on wood stocked Kimber 84's and like Truck Driver suggested two post up, I'm buying safe queens / seldom used ones for a lot less than new. Yes I'm playing Kimber roulette, but like TD if I get it cheap enough and it has issues, then I'm just out some time and components rather than a bunch of cash on a factory fresh lemon. Also, I haven't run across anything that's needed rectification by a smith and I have fun tweaking.

I'm like Hodgeman in that I have a couple of backup hunting rifles. Do own a few .22's for family shoots.

Good glass tends to be easier for me to spend money on than a rifle. Most of todays rifles are very accurate, reliable and are fairly easy to tune as long as they don't sport a Tupperware stock or a deep issue like a bent barrel or a twisted action. Bad lens coatings or poor scope assembly though can pop up at any time to ruin an outing or season.

Likewise I can justify money on an O/U 20 gauge shotgun, as the fitment is so important as well as the patterning and regulation of barrels. My go to shotgun though is an old Mossberg 835 that has worn out two trigger assemblies - muscle memory and well just memories are the main draw. That Mossie is not getting lighter though, hence the justification for splurging on a nice lightweight O/U.

I love good old Model 70s with American optics. All walnut stocks w/ redfield, Burris or Leupold Scopes.

243, 270, 7mm-08, 3006 and 338win. I wouldn't get rid of a single one for any synthetic stocked rifle.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

bzeigler102999":16sf73ye said:
I love good old Model 70s with American optics. All walnut stocks w/ redfield, Burris or Leupold Scopes.

243, 270, 7mm-08, 3006 and 338win. I wouldn't get rid of a single one for any synthetic stocked rifle.

Welcome aboard. Always glad to see another shooter joining in the fun. Trust you enjoy the group posting here as much as I do.

bzeigler102999":3h6qgsjx said:

Oh boy----April is going to LOVE this fellow

old Model 70's with WOOD STOCKS

welcome aboard

Thanks for the welcomes.

Pre-64s they are not but three are from the 60's the others are late 90's classic Sporter and classic featherweight. IMO still very classy and American.

I have inexpensive firearms. A fleet of military collectables picked from recent inexpensive imports based on bore condition and fit/finish. The ones that didn't shoot well have long since been traded.

I come from a long line of farmers and blue collar workers, cheap but effective guns have always been a fixture in my hunting parties.

My first rifle was a Marlin semi-auto .22. Never lived up to the accuracy I required, so I traded it along the way. Upgraded to a Norinco JW19. Bolt action, well balanced, but lacking in fit and finish. Shoots like the devil though, it is still my only rimfire rifle.

First centerfire was a second hand Rem 788. Ugly as sin, but it shot and fit me well. Ready availability of cheap 762 NATO surplus ensured that I would wear this one out, twice. After the second bolt stop, I traded it to an F-class shooter to use on a build. It went on to win a couple of state matches in it's new form, so it went to a good home. Replaced it for a shilen barreled K98 in .280 Rem with an ugly plastic stock, but I had plans for this one. Added a nice piece of furniture as I could afford it, and lovingly sanded, shaped, and finished it to fit me.

Shotguns have always been tools for me. I run them hard, and they sometimes get put away wet in remote hunting camps. I have a synthetic waterfowl semi-auto, a Stoeger M3000. Cheap, but effective and well suited to the task.

Also have a CZ612 trap gun. Cheap and basically finished, but it busts clays.

I guess the bottom line is, I select effective arms with a classic but not necessarily refined look. I base my selections on how they fit me, and how well I can shoot them. Mistakes get traded, usually at a profit after giving them some TLC. If I could buy any rifle without regard to cost, it would probably still be a M98 based custom, probably FN or Husqvarna, with nice walnut, top of the line barrel, trigger group and glass, but would still lack most of the refinements of the best customs.

Back