a great day in the woods

geo

Beginner
Oct 28, 2009
Today was opening day for black bear in Pennsylvania. 30 minutes after sun rise I saw a beautiful white tail buck sneaking thru the patch I was watching. After I lost sight of him I glanced around and saw a huge 7x 7 bull elk coming up the hill on my left. He stopped about 20 yards from me and we stared at each other until he figured I was not a threat and then continued up the mountain. This was the first elk I saw while in the woods and being so close was a thrill.
As the day continued I saw a grouse, a flock of turkey and 4 more whitetail. No bear but a great day in the woods.

Whenever you see animals, and especially up close and personal, it is a good day. Sounds like a fabulous day for you. A royal is a good elk. It is just great to hear of them repopulating states where they have been reintroduced. Kentucky, Pennsylvania and Arkansas are a few states that really stand out.

A great day indeed! The royal elk up close and personal would make my year. Don't you just love hunting? :wink:

Yes we do love it. Non-hunters cannot understand the thrill we feel when we see wildlife. We don't always need to kill it to have a great hunt. I have never taken a bear in the 20+ years of hunting them. I hope someday my luck will change. But if not I'm still gonna hunt. Today the weather was so nice that I was able to sit out all day. I only saw 2 turkey but it was still a great day. I have one more day in camp then it back home for Thankgiving.

Thanks. No bear again this year, but some nice memories.

Back