A ho hum day at the range

IdahoCTD

Handloader
Nov 4, 2004
For some reason every group I shot today over 3 rounds had a flier. I guess I better go back to 3 shot groups. If you discount the fliers (which were me) I shot pretty well with 3 different rifles. I've been shooting Amax's almost exclusively the last few years but I bought some Berger's for my 6.5's and they both liked them.

Attachments

• 300wsm.jpg
    300wsm.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 809
  • 6.5saum 2.jpg
    6.5saum 2.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 809
  • 6.5saum.jpg
    6.5saum.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 809
  • 6.5x47L.jpg
    6.5x47L.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 809
  • 6.5x47L 2.jpg
    6.5x47L 2.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 809
  • 6.5x47L 3.jpg
    6.5x47L 3.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 809
nice shootin . I goofed up a pretty good group last weekend by trying to put 5 shots together .

The 300wsm was only 3 shots. I guess I better not compete where I need 5 shots. If the pressure shooting in the desert with my dad is this bad I can't imagine a competition :mrgreen: :lol:

Nice shooting! (y)

Bergers can be very accurate. There's a reason the doggone things are so popular in some types of competition.

Regards, Guy

Great shooting! Seems like I end up doing that too. Tuck three in and think, hmm, I'll shoot five. Those are great groups regardless.
Man, that 40 gr with the 140 was almost stupid good. :grin:
That 300 is sweet.

I'll admit it was a pretty good day. If it wasn't for the thrown shots it would have been stellar to shoot that many small groups from 3 different rifles. I only shot one more group than the ones I posted and it was with 69.5grs of R-26 in the 300wsm. 3 of 4 shots was about 1/2". The 4th shot made it about a inch.

I did get my 6.5x68 Imp reamer today so that made up for the botched groups.

Dewey,

I'll try 41grs to see if it stays accurate, isn't too hot, and gets me closer to 2800fps. If not either 40 or 40.5grs will get the call for my wife. She'll get to use it on a cow elk in a couple weeks and a cow moose in October. It is only a 24" barrel so if it doesn't make it to 2800fps I'll survive. The rifle only has about 35-40 rounds down the barrel and still hasn't been cleaned. I don't waste my time with break in anymore.

Sounds like that should be good. Nice shooting and good barrel. (I don't do any break in either :grin: )
Can't wait to hear what that 6.5-68 Imp does for you. Cool cartridge to start with, should be a beast improved.

I'd be extremely satisfied with those groups. Even with the flyers, those are still some impressive shot strings. I think you've got it going!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What power scope are you using? I have a lot of groups that look like yours, 3 in and then 1 or 2 just out. But I'm only shooting a 10X scope and with my aging plus 60 eyes I attribute most of the flyers to the fact I can not define where the crosshairs and aiming point are. You don't have to be far off to throw a shot 1/4 inch outside the group.
Really good shooting Idaho.

The 6.5saum is a Nightforce 5.5x22, the 6.5x47 is a 4.5x14 Laupold, and the 300wsm is a 6.5x20 Leupold.

Back