A Knife that will not sharpen---

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
ok- you get the point of my post. I am generally very organized, my gun was sighted and checked back in august, my stuff is al packed for this weekends hunting trip...the only thing that remains, the one thing I avoid 'til the last minute is trying to sharpen that dumb knife. Its a Buck #110 given to me in the late 70's by my cousins late husband. IT was one of his first Christmas' with the family and he gave it to me as a "$5.00 exchange gift". When some one pointed out that he had spent to much, he said, "well the boy might as well have something he can use." Tim was killed in a construction accident several years later, one month before he was to stand up for my wife and I at our wedding. The knife will stay with me and its important to me that it gets used. However, I hate handing it to some one who is helping me gut a deer and getting immediately handed back with a disdainful look or some comment bout a dull knife.

I can put a usable edge on almost anything else I own. I understand the geometry, I use a fixture to maintain the proper angles, (in theory at least) and I have a half dozen different stones. I can get a rough edge but as soon as I try a finer stone, its gone and Im back to a butter knife (almost literally). It seems ridiculously hard to sharpen and does not hold an edge well.

What gives? I am on the verge of buying a "work sharp" or similar "belt grinder" and trying that but I cant afford or justify that $70 bucks. I realize that buying a Piranta would solve the problem but that isn't the point. Sorry just pointless grousing. Thoughts, commiserating appreciated. CL

45:00

Troy,

I've got a blade similar to yours that won't hold an edge.

Do what I did and start with a Lansky sharpening system. The rods are there for you to maintain the correct angle.

I'd start with the rough stone and take it down. Then work up progressively to the finest grit in the kit.

It worked for me. If you don't want to buy the kit then at least start with the rough stone working your way through at least four stones with progressively less grit. Stay away from files, sanders, and dremel tools. Don't ask how I know that. :)

I hope that helps.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

My Buck 110 was a difficult knife to put an edge on until I got the Lansky kit and improved the cutting edge angle to my liking. Major rework with the Lansky. Now it is easy to touch up the edge with a diamond stone if working around bone but I now generally just use a sharpening compound placed on a piece of leather or an old barber's strop if you can find one.

Those Bucks from that era unfortunately had a questionable steel mix that made them horribly hard to sharpen/hold an edge and the buck hollow ground edge didn't help. My old man used to curse every time one of his buddies brought one by for him to sharpen. Best thing to do is put it on a grinder and start from scratch.

26NosFan":2djxctr1 said:
Those Bucks from that era unfortunately had a questionable steel mix that made them horribly hard to sharpen/hold an edge and the buck hollow ground edge didn't help. My old man used to curse every time one of his buddies brought one by for him to sharpen. Best thing to do is put it on a grinder and start from scratch.

I had heard that but thought perhaps it was just "legend" around the fire from other geometrically challenged fellas like myself. :) Thanks guys, Im taking it to a local sporting goods store that advertises "knives sharpened" They will put it on the grinder and at least (hopefully)get it square again. Maybe I should send it back to Buck and see what they will do with it? At least its made in the states. EVERY other commercially made, mass produced brands in now made in CHINA. Dad had a US made Schrade that was a nice knife. Those to are bought out by the Chinese. CL

Troy,

Buck will sharpen your knife and at a reasonable cost to you. I've found them to be great people to deal with.

Dr Mike- that dawned on me since my last post. I pulled up their website and it looks pretty straight forward and reasonable. I will do that after the season. Mean time, I stopped at Capra's Sporting Goods, here in the cities. Stuff costs a little more, but they are local as far as I know, and a good bunch of guys. They will sharpen your knife for a $1.00. They use the grinder on it. Its not razor sharp, but its not embarrassing anymore. Now if I can just find a reason to get it dull again.... :) CL

Lansky makes an outstanding product, I can barley sharpen a pencil, but the Lansky makes sharpening knives easy, even for me!

My 110 is 30 or so years old and very difficult to sharpen also. But I got a better way of doing it now. Some years back I bought on the spur of the moment one of these handheld carbide sharpeners. The kind you hold in one hand, is made of plastic, usually blue & white and has a guard for your fingers.
I used it on my cheaper knives and filetting knives at first. Then one day I got aggravated at the 110 and tried it on that. I was surprised. It sharpened it easily and quickly. I now keep one in the kitchen, the shop and the camper.
I do have a gut hook Buck case knife that I won't use it on. When that one needs sharpening it will go back to Buck.

Yup Fotis- I mentioned that in my original post.... :) Were I not such a sentimental and stubborn cuss I would throw the Buck in the drawer, buy one of those and never look back. Something Dad always used to tell me....I still haven't quite figured out.... "get it sharp enough, but the sharper they are...the quicker they get dull". Well, yes, but I haven't ever seen one too sharp. CL

CL,
My Buck Ranger from the early 80's is the same way. All my other knives I can sharpen no problem, but not the Buck. Take it to your local butcher. $1-2 later you will have a very sharp knife. Bret

The Lansky system is the way to go. I have two buck knives, the 110 and the skinner. I could never get a decent edge on either knife until I bought the Lansky sharpener. Wow, I can shave my arm with both now. Sharpened other knives and a Gerber camping axe as well.

Buy the Lansky you will not be disappointed. (y)

Don

I have a number of Buck knives & use my Lansky system they have never given me a problem.
Good luck on your up coming hunt. Sure hope you get a chance to dull that knife (y).

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":2cqium2d said:
I have a number of Buck knives & use my Lansky system they have never given me a problem.
Good luck on your up coming hunt. Sure hope you get a chance to dull that knife (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks- I'm worse than a kid.... too jacked up to sleep. Leave tomorrow, Season opens Saturday AM. CL

Back