Custom Kitchen Knife Came In

3 Meter Para Bellum

Handloader
Apr 17, 2020
I have been cooking a lot more ever since my family moved out of the exploding city to a smaller town. There's not as many restaurants and many of us have health issues that don't need to be aggravated by fast food anyway, plus it is actually possible to get to the grocery store out here, it's only five minutes away! Back where I used to live, it wasn't any farther, but traffic was so bad it took 45 minutes instead of 10 to get there and back.

Anyway, the point is I've been cooking more, and being a knife guy it was only a matter of time before I discovered premium kitchen cutlery. I went down the rabbit hole of Japanese made knives, bought a factory made Santoku, two hand made Gyutos, a couple whetstones, then sold off two knives to make up the funds to have a American custom knife maker make a Gyuto to my specifications. I've only had it for two days, but it promises to be my primary kitchen knife for years to come!
TJKekoaGyuto.JPG
It is 225mm (9in.) long, 52mm (2in.) tall, about 3.2mm (.12in.) at the spine, made from 80crV2 carbon steel at 62hrc. The profile is basically a taller, longer version of a Kurosaki Raijin, a knife by one of my favorite Japanese smiths, and the handle is sandwich construction with reddish wood laminate scales and white paper micarta liner and frame. Being carbon steel it will eventually develop a nice patina, but is shiny as new in this picture.

Back