A Long Day's Work

Technically, there is no significant difference in the Winchesters produced in New Haven and the current crop bearing the name. Fit and finish suffered terribly in the final days of the New Haven plant; the rifles being produced now are examples of what fit and finish should have been all along for rifles bearing the Winchester name.

Come on Doc!! :cry: My heart was all aflutter when I saw that 6mm Remington in the rack in a gorgeous rifle! You said it shot great with 90 gr. E-tips and then you failed miserably and did not include that target in your pictures. :twisted:

Nice group of rifles and I'm also drawn to the 30-06, but then who isn't, and that fine old 7x57! :grin:

David,

I was quite impressed with the 6mm Remington. The velocities were impressive. The data I generated lead me to believe that were I to have the rifle for another week or so, I would have it shooting 0.25 inch groups. As it is, the groups were 3/4 to 1.0 MOA with standard deviations of single digits. I was very favourably impressed. Candidly, were I building another rifle (other than the 8X68S and the 358 Norma Magnum) I would be sorely tempted to make it a 6mm Remington. I almost bought one some years back, but just could convince myself that I needed it. That was before RADD kicked in.

DrMike said:
David,

I was quite impressed with the 6mm Remington. I would be sorely tempted to make it a 6mm Remington. I almost bought one some years back, but just could convince myself that I needed it. That was before RADD kicked in.[/quote]

It has gotten to us all Doc! :lol:

6mm Remington":2sonp431 said:
DrMike":2sonp431 said:
David,

I was quite impressed with the 6mm Remington. I would be sorely tempted to make it a 6mm Remington. I almost bought one some years back, but just could convince myself that I needed it. That was before RADD kicked in.[/quote]

It has gotten to us all Doc! :lol:

Ain't that the truth!

DrMike":2lzdajzt said:
Technically, there is no significant difference in the Winchesters produced in New Haven and the current crop bearing the name. Fit and finish suffered terribly in the final days of the New Haven plant; the rifles being produced now are examples of what fit and finish should have been all along for rifles bearing the Winchester name.

Following up on what DrMike said, I was very disappointed to buy a couple of 2004-2005 USRAC magnum Model 70's, new during the time just before they closed their doors in 2005. I had a really pretty stocked .338 WM that had a crooked barrel installation and could only be zeroed at one range, where it crossed the scope zero setting. I had another .280 Model 70 from the same era that had workmanship issues and never shot well.

I would advise anyone to be aware of those issues at the end of USRAC!

Dr. Mike those are a great looking batch of rifles. What a great way to spend the day. And shooters as well!

Thank you, Pat.

Charlie, I had to work very hard with all the rifles I picked up that had been produced at the New Haven plant during the early part of this Millennium; they each required attention. I understand why Winchester began to get a bad name and why that group eventually found they couldn't continue. I feel somewhat that way about Remingtons that have been produced more recently. It is a pity when you buy a rifle and know you will have to complete what should have been done at the factory.

Back