A range day - Finally!

G

Okay, Scotty, you can take a deep breath. I know you'll like this little gem.

I picked up a rifle back in the spring. It's one I've been wanting since I first saw one a number of years ago. I wasn't really looking to buy a rifle, but then this one popped up on the radar and the price was excellent, so I couldn't pass it up:

IMGP7606.jpg

I had originally seen one of these in 300SAUM and thought it was interesting. It stayed on the LGS rack for a while, and I really started thinking about getting one. That was back in 2005-ish. The idea of a handy, compact rifle with open sights really got under my skin for some reason. I've been acquiring various rifles over the past decade with two objectives. I like rifles to be interesting, but also serve a purpose. In fact, with the exception of one rifle I've bought (in my lifetime) all the rifles I've bought have been purchased with a purpose in mind. So I found myself thinking about what I have in the safe, and noticing that I did not have any open sighted rifles that might be useful for snap shooting while walking the woods. Up until I got into the lease I currently enjoy, I didn't really have any need for this sort of rifle, but the little 673 stayed in the back of my mind over the years. Well, fast-forward to this year and I found an opportunity to pick up this little rifle in 350RemMag to scratch that "open-sight-rifle-for-stalking" itch. It also manages to improve my average bore size a bit!

Well, today I got my first chance to go shoot since early this year. Right after hunting season ended I got moved into a new role at work and I've been working 70hr weeks since then, so I haven't gotten to the range at all since before last hunting season. Today I managed to grab some time, finally. I had a new scope on Mr. Hyde (270'bee) that needed to be sighted in:

IMGP7605.jpg

I got Hyde sighted in properly, though the new lot of IMR7828ssc is a bit different in burn rate from the old lot. I'll work all that out, though. I was very pleased with the new Minox glass, though Mirage at 15-20x will take some getting used to, for sure. I think, for my use, the view is 98% of the Zeiss Conquest on my 300'bee, but either of these scopes is easily far more than I'll need during legal shooting hours. I'm equally sure that when it's not 90deg outside, mirage won't be such a problem. I did notice the mirage got markedly worse after the first shot from a cool barrel...maybe the heat generated from the loads is strong, huh?

I shot the new 673 as well. I was surprised that the little 350RemMag had such a stiff punch of recoil. I figured it would be pretty moderate in recoil, but I expected more of a shove than a punch. I started at 40yds and got on paper, then adjusted the rear notch and went back to 100yds. Two shots, low on the paper, and one called flier that never touched the paper. The disappointing part is, all the shots were either low or very low, and I've adjusted the rear up to a point where it's pretty "bent" looking versus the mount, and the adjustment screw is pretty close to as deep as it will go without running out the bottom. I'm not sure what to do with it, as I don't really want to add a scope to this rifle. I shot up at my deer lease so I was shooting off of sticks. I'm going to go to the range and shoot it from the bench as soon as I can (maybe in a week or two) but if it's still low, I don't know what exactly I'll do. Maybe a receiver-mounted peep sight? I hope it doesn't come to that.

I shot my 300'bee as well, and checked zero on my 30-06. The -06 was right where I left it, and even managed a half-inch group from the prone position. First time I've shot prone much. The 300 did well with some 200gr Partitions - thanks, Scotty! - but accuracy was still not quite where I wanted it. Of course, I shot in terrible conditions today - high heat, high instability, and plenty of biting insects, so maybe it's as much the day as the rifles/loads. The max charge with the 200gr Partitions put two rounds right on top of one another and the third round jumped out about 2", so I suspect heat and bedding are to blame, mostly. The rifle is still wearing the factory tupperware, so that's not helping the bedding.

Overall a hot day, but at least it was a hot couple of hours shooting. It's always nice to get up on the deer lease and breathe the air, at least. I hope you approve of the new rifle, Scotty. And now I finally have a 35cal in my safe!

dubyam I am glad you were able to get out and shoot those 2 rifles, they are both good looking ladies and deserve some attention as well. Remember Bud you have to make time for yourself as well :wink:. I call them mental health days and they are just for me :mrgreen:

Blessings,
Dan

The 673 chambered in 350 RM does pack a bit of a punch. It is not objectionable; but it is convincing. Good for you in finding time to get away from the grind to have some time for yourself. I questioned why I bought a 673 for some time; and then, I shot something with it. I knew then that I had made a good move. I'm pleased you have a 35 calibre in your safe, dub.

WM,

Nice find buddy. The 350 RM is a real powerhouse and will cover anything you want to hint in NA.
I really like the feel of the M673. :grin:

JD338

Dub, I love that 673! Always wanted one, but man, I am glad you got one. I still have a little bit of me that would like one of them. They are just about the coolest bolt thumper out there!

Very happy you got into the 35 Club now! We are a growing bunch of loonies! What were you shooting out of it.

I mentioned it on LEL, but check out the XS sight. I think it would allow you to get on target with a proper zero without altering the Awesome Shark Fin sight. Plus, it would give you some precision for longer shots, if you were so inclined.

Keep on with that 300 and the 200 PT's.. Thinking you are onto something!

Dubyam, one small point. I recognized the Mark V rifle because of prior ownership of same. However, for the life of me (because I am not a Remington owner) I did not know what the Rem 673 was either by model or caliber until DrMike informed me several posts later. My bad, I guess, I knew that th SAUM was probably a Remington? The indistinct rib (in the picture) on the barrel may have clued me in but it it not that obvious. No big deal here, but I had no idea what in the world rifle, make, model or caliber you were referring to from the picture and you did not say. I guess this post was directed at Scotty anyway and I had no need to know?

Sorry for the confusion, Charlie. I was posting in a hurry, though that's no excuse. I did refer to it as a 673, though only later in my post. Might help me to pay better attention. The post was most certainly for public consumption. I've just been teasing Scotty (President of the 35 fan club) about having a new rifle he'd like for a couple of weeks, thus the tone of my post.

I responded in more detail on LEL, Scotty, but the XS sight is definitely on my "check out" list.

As for the 300, also on my to-do list is to finish a bunch of load workups before hunting season. I want to bloody that rifle this fall, and I need the right load to do it. Either a 180gr or a 200gr, for sure. We'll see what wins out. One of these days I need to get a Medalist for it and eliminate all the bedding issues in the factory tupperware. Until then, I'll suffer along...

Thanks for all the comments, guys. It was an enjoyable and much needed couple of hours.

Glad you got a range day! Fun stuff.

Always liked that short-stubby .350 Rem mag. A wheat farmer buddy of mine owns one - that an AR-15 are his only rifles. Until he got the AR, he used the .350 Rem mag on coyotes, rockchucks, and mule deer. Anything that needed shooting on his 7,000+ acres. Or the neighbors, or anywhere he went. His rifle is one of the old ones from the 1960's or 70's as I recall. An uncle of his bought it originally, and a case of 1,000 rounds, and they're still working on that original case of ammo! It's never had a scope mounted, even though they live and hunt on that seemingly endless wheatfield country.

When the 673's came out some years ago I was interested, but deferred. Glad you picked up one, they're pretty doggone neat rifles.

I like the others too - but had to comment on the .350 Rem mag. It's quite a rifle, and unmistakable!

Regards, Guy

Dubyam, I have the IMR 7828 Weatherby load chart that IMR (DuPont) published for Weatherby back when this powder was first used in Weatherby factory loads. It has all of the Mark V factory caliber chamberings listed with the matching 7828 loads. IMR 7828 is the only powder that I have been able to equal Weatherby factory load velocity for my .340 with 225 and 250 grain bullets. If you want a copy of this sheet, PM me with your email address.

Dubyam,

Glad you got out to the range and got some trigger time in. Nothing better than a couple hours putting lead down range. I will be more than ready for some range time after next week! Two weeks in N. Va and DC working 70-80 hours is about all i can take before i need some therapy :mrgreen:

Back