Aaaaaaaaand I'm done!

jmad_81

Handloader
Feb 14, 2007
Got around to playing with the 140 ABs out of my 270 WSM. I tried RL-22, RL-25 and Mag pro. RL-22 was by far the best powder I have played with in this 270 wsm. If only I had listened to Scotty and Fotis and started with RL-22 I could have saved a bunch of time and money.

My goal with this 270 WSm was to be able to push a 140 AB @ 3200, and be .5 MOA or better. Well I was able to reach that this afternoon.
View attachment 3
This was the winner so far. 67.5 gr RL-22, 3212 es 15 sd 7.

View attachment 2
This was the work up with RL-25. Started at 69.5 (bottom) and worked up to 70.5 (top) Over all it has the best average groups, but I was not getting the fps I was looking for.

View attachment 1
This is my RL-22 target. I shot 67 gr first (bottom target, top group) and was a bit dissapointed, then I shot the 67.5 load :grin: I got the speed, and groups I was looking for and didn't have any psi signs. I shot 68 gr, and pulled the second shot pretty hard to the left. I knew it was left before I got the scope back on the paper. I don't know if I'll retry this load, it was a bit faster and with the exception of the one I pulled shot just as good. I clocked it at 3230 with a es of 8 and a sd of 4 :shock: . The next load was a half grain higher and I got some sticky bolt lift, and a psi spike. Those three shots went 3281 with an es of 8 and a sd of 4. I'm a bit worried about shooting the 68 gr load if it warms up another 40-50 degrees so I'm sticking with the 67.5 load.

This was with MagPro. I started at 70.5 (bottom) and went up to 71.5 (top). 71 shot really well also, but was not as fast as I would like. I had room to go up in powder charge, but I kind of figured whats the point after I shot the RL-22 loads.

I know that all these loads are well above the Nosler max, but they are right inline with QL, and I worked up from a safe charge. My CAOL at the lands is 2.930, so it is a lot longer that the factory specs. All the loads were shot at .020" off the lands.

Looks great to me! You can see the differences with the changes in loads. Good data !!

That's pretty sweet. Maybe I should listen to them too! :p I guess I will have to try R19 in my son's 300 WSM.

Great shooting and now you don't have to mess with it any more.
David

If only I had listened to Scotty and Fotis and started with RL-22 I could have saved a bunch of time and money.

But you wouldn't have had the fun of range time! :grin:

DrMike":24ikctlq said:
If only I had listened to Scotty and Fotis and started with RL-22 I could have saved a bunch of time and money.

But you wouldn't have had the fun of range time! :grin:

This is true, I do love my range time. It has been driving me nuts to be at the range every weekend for the last three weeks while the rest of the world seems to be out hunting though :(

Wait till it's below zero, then try that load. Or next summer when you are shooting rock chucks. You'll have to start all over. The powder will be a dude when its cold, and you'll have trouble opening your bolt next summer, when it hot out.

Just my opinion.

Looks good! I'm still trying to get the 140 AB's to shoot that good in my .270 WIN. I may wind up back with 130 BT's- they absolutely shoot bugholes.

Nice load work and range session! Since I am a huge fan of Magpro in the 270WSM, I'll be the first to apologise for your misguidence. :) It sure seems that RL22 and Magpro are the overwhelming favorites with 140gr bullets. Your targets show what I've found to be a common trait for the WSM chamberings in that load development typically starts with reasonable groups, regardless of powder choice.

Too Tall":229kvknu said:
Wait till it's below zero, then try that load. Or next summer when you are shooting rock chucks. You'll have to start all over. The powder will be a dude when its cold, and you'll have trouble opening your bolt next summer, when it hot out.

Just my opinion.

I'm not to worried about it. I use RL-22 in my 280 AI with the 140 Bt, and 160 AB and it shoots .3xx" groups winter or summer.

FOTIS":229kvknu said:

Don't kid yourself, I feel like a kid on Christmas morning at work today I'm so excited!

If I go with a Max point blank range method, I can get out to 297 (300 really) and not be more or less than 2.5" lOS. Putting me 12" low at 400 (top of the back hold for deer). Makes things pretty simple seeming as most of my shots are under 400. All that in a 8.25 lb rifle with very managable recoil = one happy guy!

Very nice.

I'm still working on my WSM load for the same bullet.

What's you complete recipe, including brass and primer?

67.5 gr rl-22, wlrm primers, win brass, 140 AB 2.910 coal.

PLEASE WORK UP TO THIS LOAD!

Great work Jake. I kinda had a feeling RL22 was going to work out for you. It has proved to be a great powder in the 7WSM as well. I will say that I am very impressed with the 270WSM. Pretty mild mannered on the bench and its ballistics are about as flat as anyone could hope for in a sporting weight hunting rifle. I zero mine with the 150 BT's and PT's at 300 and it really makes range estimation pretty easy if they are less that 400 yards! Scotty

Back