About at my wits end with my 270

Yank that barrel like "starting a lawn mower"1, ha! No .270 should be that cantankerous either! Nothing wrong with the .270 win...and certainly worth rebarreling to it...what do you have in mind? I suggest another .270 win, but a nice Shilen chrome moly, at whatever twist you want. Otherwise...its gonna have to be either a 280 AI or a 30-06! :)

Thebear_78":20gs9rg6 said:
I'm thinking about sending it to another smith. Just having them pull the barrel and rechamber it. The only downside is it has been nitrided and any metal work will break the seal and leave an avenue for moisture to get at the metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't seat this. The barrel and action should have been nitrided separately. I would re-barrel it if you don't have faith in it but I wouldn't sweat the action being weatherproof.

I checked the bore, .270 pin just fit and dropped thru the barrel just like it's supposed to. The barrel is to spec, I guess it's just a chamber ing issue. Still torn on having it set back and rechambered or just scratching the whole thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it is a tough decision where you might be wondering if you are throwing good money after bad so to speak. At the very least if it were me I would have another gunsmith look at it and see if rechambering would be a good idea. That rig of yours has some serious potential to be the perfect mountain gun.

You can't really set back a nitrided barrel, they are too hard for most tooling. The exception is carbide but most people wouldn't be overly excited to stick a 250-300.00 carbide reamer in a nitrided barrel.

Did you try reducing the load that you know was loaded too hot to see what happens? If you neck up the brass, make a false shoulder, and fire it you can measure the difference in the cases fired and unfired plus you can visually see how big the false shoulder is. If it's really small then the headspace should be good. If the headspace is good that would tell me the loads you were shooting were too hot or the back of the chamber is too big (or a combination of both). A measurement on the really hot loaded brass where it swelled would tell you if it was a oversized chamber. You can find reamer SAMMI specs for a 270 Win if you search it.

It sure appears like a headspace issue and if it's close you could just back your die out and run it the way it is. Oversizing or too many firings on shallow shouldered cases is what usually causes case separation. When you get it on the first firing then it's most likely from cases stretching too far due to excessive headspace or a oversized chamber.

Another option is to buy the stuff to do a chamber cast, Cerrosafe, from Brownells. That way you know exactly what the chamber is.

Like IdahoCTD said, I'm a big fan of Cerrosafe chamber casts. Saves component money in a hurry!
EE2

Back